What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esojmc

Occasional Visitor
I am looking at these two routes and trying to decide which one to get. Microcenter has the AX88U Pro for $219.99 and the AX86U Pro for $249. Which is the better (future proof + other features) router? From the side by side comparison, I see the 88U Pro only has WiFi 6 802.11ax while 86U Pro has 802.11a, b, g, n, ac and ax. Does this mean my older WiFi hardware (e.g. Wyze camera) that only supports 2.4GHz won't be able to connect to 88U Pro?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 148
If you haven't done so already, use the forum search feature. There are a number of similar past posts where others asked the same comparison questions. You may find additional answers or information in those earlier discussions:
https://www.snbforums.com/search/972199/?q=rt-ax88u+pro+rt-ax86u+pro&o=relevance
For example:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax88u-pro-rt-ax86u-pro.85568/

You will find some will have a preference for the RT-AX88U Pro over the RT-AX86U Pro for a variety of reasons. But ultimately one should review the features of both against their own use case since your use case may be different than someone else's. And depending on one's use case a more expensive router isn't necessarily always the best choice.

The 88U also has 802.11a, b, g, n, ac and ax. The main difference between the two is form factor and that the 88U has both a 2.5 Gb WAN and LAN port.

Either would be fairly "future proof." I believe the AX88U Pro has the older hardware as it has been out longer. The AX86U Pro is just fine for me. the AX86U Pro price is down a bit on Amazon and it could go on sale for less. I remember seeing some "issues" with the AX88U Pro that were not present with the AX86U Pro.

If the price were equal I would still choose the AX86U Pro. Just my $0.02.

If it was down to me I'd go for the RT-AX88U Pro. The specs of both routers would suit me just fine but my personal choice is about aesthetics - the AX86U Pro stands vertically while the AX88U Pro lays horizontally. I don't really need 2x2.5Gbe ports or 4x4 2.4 GHz radio.

Last edited:
The current RT-AX88U Pro is highly preferred over the older and crippled RT-AX86U Pro.

Not only does it have two 2.5GbE Ports (for WAN/LAN), but it also doesn't have the biggest weak link of the older RT-AC88U and RT-AX88U (non-Pro), and that is the (for some) buggy Ports 5-8.

As one of the newer Asus models, it may even have newer/updated SDKs too over anything else today.

For $219.99, I'd buy two (or more).

Either would be fairly "future proof." I believe the AX88U Pro has the older hardware as it has been out longer. The AX86U Pro is just fine for me. the AX86U Pro price is down a bit on Amazon and it could go on sale for less. I remember seeing some "issues" with the AX88U Pro that were not present with the AX86U Pro.

If the price were equal I would still choose the AX86U Pro. Just my $0.02.
You have that in the wrong order the AX86U came out before the AX88U Pro.

I have 3 AX88U Pros. I have few if any issues with them other than if I run the latest 3.0.0.6.xxxx firmware which at the moment seems to be more like beta software than properly tested. Stick to 3.0.0.4.xxxx, or even better Merlin, and they run great.

I am using both 2.5Gb ports on them as my ISP router is 2.5Gb and I and linking them in AiMesh over 2.5Gb ethernet. They run great like this. I also like that you have all 4 antennas external which should provide better 2.4Ghz performance than the internal PCB mounted antenna on the AX86u Pro.

Having said all of this, Asus seem to have been a little sporadic with their firmware for the Pro models recently although they are both fully supported so this should be temporary hopefully.

Thank everyone. It looks like AX88U Pro is what I will get. Built in Wireguard VPN server will be a added benefit since I currently I am using a Raspberry Pi. Has anyone run HDHomerun PVR server on this router?

Built in Wireguard VPN server will be a added benefit since I currently I am using a Raspberry Pi.
Note that there are a number of Asus routers including the RT-AX88U Pro and the RT-AX86U Pro that support Wireguard VPN Server. See here for more: AsusWRT 4.0 388.x

You have that in the wrong order the AX86U came out before the AX88U Pro.
One month apart. Dec 22 for the AX86U Pro and Jan 23 for the AX88U Pro.
Still, I would choose the AX86U Pro. Why pay for ports that are problematic?

Our AX88U Pro has been stable and 4 GbE ports are enough for the our home office but we may add 2.5 GbE switch. Most of our devices are on wi-fi and it covers our 1,600 sq ft space.
There are benefits to 6E but we're waiting for wi-fi 7 to be fully developed. AXE16000 and or a UDM Pro -Switch-U6E are more then double the cost and we only have few 6E devices.

Last edited:
Thank everyone. It looks like AX88U Pro is what I will get. Built in Wireguard VPN server will be a added benefit since I currently I am using a Raspberry Pi. Has anyone run HDHomerun PVR server on this router?

Run Wireguard your RPi.

That is what I am doing now - running Wireguard and HDHomerun on the RPi. I wouldn't mind shutting down the RPi and running Wireguard and HDHomerun on the router if there isn't a performance hit.

I think there is. Not 100% sure though

Another quick question. I want to install Merlin on the AX88U Pro and wanted to know if AiMesh will work with Merlin. Quick search shows it won't. My other (current) router is RT-AC1900P and will also be updated with Merlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!