What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After this change you are going to get no benefits at the moment.

Potentially some time in the future when your new RT-AX86U Pro receives official 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware upgrade.

Ok so I am going to show my ignorance here, what is stopping me from just unplugging them and just switching over? I am not tech minded when it comes to this so go easy on me with any responses.
As already indicated doing that without reconfiguring the RT-AX86U Pro as the main router and RT-AX86U as an AiMesh (or AP) node will absolutely leave you with no internet access and a dead local network. Normally most would have setup the RT-AX86U Pro as the main router the day unboxed rather than set it up as a AiMesh node first.

And as already indicated at this point one may want to wait till they have some lengthy down time on the local network before reconfiguring everything. The general gain at this point of the RT-AX86U Pro over the RT-AX86U is a very slight increase in processor speed and the currently Asus 3.0.0.6.x firmware beta firmware and it's Guest Network Pro feature. If you don't need or use either (slight boost in processor or 3.0.0.6.x) then one can hold off reconfiguring their network until such time as they need one or both of those features or have enough network downtime to reconfigure all three routers.

It takes about 1 minute to do a system reset.
Three to five minutes to boot up an AX86U Pro and do a minimal config - SSID, Passphrase, User and password.
Four minutes to add an AX86U as an AiMesh node.
And you are up and running. No real need to mess with the WIFI settings as the defaults work for most folks. Tweak other settings as you need (turn on AiProtection, QOS, DoT and etc.).
And you are super bowl ready
Of course save the settings of the AX86U first just-in-case but do not use them to configure the AX86U Pro!
It takes me about 15 minutes to switch from Merlin firmware to Asus firmware or vice versa and manually set up a mesh system with an AX86U Pro and AX86U node.
What will you gain? The peace of mind that it is done.
Best of luck!

As already indicated doing that without reconfiguring the RT-AX86U Pro as the main router and RT-AX86U as an AiMesh (or AP) node will absolutely leave you with no internet access and a dead local network. Normally most would have setup the RT-AX86U Pro as the main router the day unboxed rather than set it up as a AiMesh node first.

And as already indicated at this point one may want to wait till they have some lengthy down time on the local network before reconfiguring everything. The general gain at this point of the RT-AX86U Pro over the RT-AX86U is a very slight increase in processor speed and the currently Asus 3.0.0.6.x firmware beta firmware and it's Guest Network Pro feature. If you don't need or use either (slight boost in processor or 3.0.0.6.x) then one can hold off reconfiguring their network until such time as they need one or both of those features or have enough network downtime to reconfigure all three routers.
For sure I would have set up the pro first, just timing with the purchase of each device and it was the last one I bought when my system was up and running. I will take my time next week to undertake the steps @bbunge says. Thanks for your input.

I will take my time next week to undertake the steps @bbunge says.
Are you looking for adventure?
If everything works fine and you're not missing anything, don't change anything.
Leave it as it is and where it is.

Are you looking for adventure?
If everything works fine and you're not missing anything, don't change anything.
Leave it as it is and where it is.
Well as far as I know I am not missing anything, I mean for the slight increase in processing power maybe not i guess, I do like dabbling but hate messing things up and take ages to rectify. #beentheredonethat. I suppose what I should be focusing on is the port notice that 2 of the routers show. I have 5e and 6 cabling and routers are modern so I can't figure out how the notices show. However I could unplug things and see what happens or leave it the hell alone as I am still getting excellent house and garden coverage with the set up. 🤔 I just ran a diagnosis with the router network and it came back as working perfectly so answer is leave alone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!