What's new

RT-AX88U + router in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanny

New Around Here
Hi all, need help, been struggling for two days now and can't win. There is a router of the operator with white IP in bridge mode on wan RT-AX88U. RT-AX88U receives white IP and everything works. I need to reach the router of the operator, which is in bridge mode. It has IP 192.168.1.1.1, Asus has 192.168.2.1. In general in Keenetik there is such a function as IP Alies, just specify the second IP on the wan and it sees the provider's router and you can go to the web face. How to realize this on Asus? Firmware Merlin 388.1. On more recent ones OpenVPN falls off.

Last edited:
Ssh into the router and try

ip addr add 192.168.1.2/24 dev eth0

Then see if you can ping the bridge. You may need to use ifconfig instead.

Last edited:
The easier way long term in the router menus is:
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN IP setting (subsection)
Get the WAN IP automatically: No
IP Address: 192.168.1.10 (This will be your secondary IP expressed on the WAN port
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Address of the ISP device)

Then you should be able to access the ISP device using 192.168.1.1

*Wont work if your WAN type is "Automatic IP"

The easier way long term in the router menus is:
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN IP setting (subsection)
Get the WAN IP automatically: No
IP Address: 192.168.1.10 (This will be your secondary IP expressed on the WAN port
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Address of the ISP device)

Then you should be able to access the ISP device using 192.168.1.1

*Wont work if your WAN type is "Automatic IP"

I am not certain this will work. If I understand the OP (and I may not as it was not well written), the main ASUS router (192.168.2.1) is connected to the ISP supplied router, which has an IP address of 192.168.1.1. However, the ISP router is in bridge mode, which passes the ISP WAN through to the ASUS router. Doing what you suggest will only assign the ASUS router an address on the ISP Router's subnet - but it does not get you an address on the ISP network (be it public or CGNAT).

You can try it, but I have my doubts that it will work. Unless I am misunderstanding something here.

If manually assigning the eth0 interface works, great - then we can move onto scripting a solutuion that will survive a reboot. If you are using PPOE, the interface named may be ppoe0 or something similar. You may need to execute ip a or ifconfig to see what the ppoe interface name is if you are using ppoe.

Why not give what I suggested a go, and then look at the effects to eth0 and ppp0 - oh and it survives a reboot, no scripting required!

I have the task of getting a white IP on the Wan so the vpn will work. If I give him an internal address, the router writes immediately about ip conflict and resets the addresses and writes another network automatically. I need to assign two IPs to the wan port, the one that will be internal and the one that will be external from the provider. Exactly what ip alias does

So, to clarify, when you say white, you mean a public IP address?

To further clarify my previous post, determine your WAN interface name (eth0 or a PPOE interface) by SSHing into the router and executing nvram get wan0_ifname. Say, for this exercise the iface is eth0.

Then you can try running the command I gave you above. If that does not work, you may need to use ifconfig instead.

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

Then try ping the bridged router and see if you get a response. If so, we can setup a wan-event script to make it survive a reboot.

Ssh into the router and try

ip addr add 192.168.1.2/24 dev eth0

Then see if you can ping the bridge. You may need to use ifconfig instead.
Dude, I love you! It's all working, you're awesome. DDNS VPN is dead, ip is working. I'll keep looking into it. But I got access to the operator's router and didn't lose my external dedicated IP! Thank you.

Glad it worked. You can create the following wan-event script in the /jffs/scripts directory to make this survive a reboot. The code is curtesy of @ColinTaylor. The script uses ifconfig instead of ip, but that is OK. They both do the same thing. Just that the ip command in the more "in style" way of doing things.

Code:
    if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ];then
        ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname):0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
    fi

if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "stopping" ];then
        ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname):0 down
    fi

Last edited:
"In style"? I'm just old @Jeffrey Young :D

P.S. You've got a typo in your ifconfig connect command. ;)

You and me both my friend .... I wish IT Engineers would just leave things alone. They worked fine before.

Just to show my age, I can't find my typo you speak of ..... Still looking to correct.

Glad it worked. You can create the following wan-event script in the /jffs/scripts directory to make this survive a reboot. The code is curtesy of @ColinTaylor. The script uses ifconfig instead of ip, but that is OK. They both do the same thing. Just that the ip command in the more "in style" way of doing things.

Code:
    if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ];then
        ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname):0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
    fi

if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "stopping" ];then
        ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname):0 down
    fi
I don't know how to get it on the router, is there a step by step instruction?

I don't know how to get it on the router, is there a step by step instruction?

Have a look here. A tutorial is near the bottom of the list of available scripts.