What's new

RT-AX88U USB Unmounted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mostafamraafat

New Around Here
Hello,

I have to say that I'm noob in the networking domain, so my question could appear very basic. I have bought RT-AX88U. Also bought external 1TB external SSD to access my files though the network. I formatted my SSD in FAT32 and inserted my USB into the router. I found in the admin page that the USB is detected, however its written that its unmounted. I tried different approaches non of them succeeded. I don't own a windows, I own a Mac so I don't have fragmentation utilities of Windows.I desperately need help for this because I have bought all of this because I need to access files over network. By the way I know that in this forum the same question was asked, however it's since 2013 and also there was no answer.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 23.12.54.png

Thanks

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    311.2 KB · Views: 313
A couple of things to try using the router's GUI.

Untitled.png

1. Format the drive as NTFS

2. Switch to USB Mode 2.0

What external SSD model are you using? Maybe it's defective?

What firmware is the RT-AX88U running? Did you try a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want to use? And, not using a backup config file to configure it?

What other scripts, options, and features are you running on the router?

If you're using RMerlin firmware on it (highly recommended), did you try formatting with amtm?

Is there a some help (or made scripts) to re-install or a force uninstall (in my case skynet) a script that router somehow think is installed already...?! and Putty gives only errors when trying to open skynet ( "there is no usb drive"), i cant have access..? Other scripts (Diversion, Scribe, UiDivStats and UiScribe) are fine and working!!
Yes i have a brand new usb stick as a storage, format via PC and and putty ext4... load and installed as L&LD has posted here!

What external SSD model are you using? Maybe it's defective?

What firmware is the RT-AX88U running? Did you try a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want to use? And, not using a backup config file to configure it?

What other scripts, options, and features are you running on the router?

If you're using RMerlin firmware on it (highly recommended), did you try formatting with amtm?

Thanks for your reply, My HD is SanDisk Extreme Pro 1TB Portable SSD. I don't think it's defective because it works normally on any PC or Mac. My current version is 3.0.0.4.386_41249-g66dde88.

Should I reset after updating ? Also should I use different firmware? I don't have any special settings, again I am so noob in networking.

Thanks

Yes, after flashing new firmware on your router, particularly after jumping from a previous branch (384.xx or 385.xx, to 386.xx), even if the router is brand new/never used before, you should flash the firmware you want and then do a full reset to factory defaults.

Make sure you also check the box to 'Initialize all settings...' too before hitting the Restore button.

I would also suggest after doing the above, to also Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot. Make sure to hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of that screen when you do, before, you reboot. Then, reboot the router two more times in the next 10 minutes or so, waiting 5 minutes between reboots.

If you would like more details on getting your router back to a good/known state and where it is using its expected defaults for the firmware that is loaded, see the link below for the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides (the rest of the links may be useful reading too).

I will always recommend flashing RMerlin firmware on any router he supports. However, being just at Beta 1 currently (even if it is running fast and stable for my RT-AX88U, RT-AX58U, and a pair of RT-AX86U's right now), you may want to wait until it goes to release final. :)

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Do you need to jump between different devices like windows PC or Mac? Ext4 filesystem usually works best on these routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online