What's new

RT-AX88U with RT-AC55U as AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Myishmael

New Around Here
I replaced my RT-AC55U with the RT-AX88U today. I couldn’t handle the multi casting issues with the AC55. The AX88 seems pretty good so far, obviously a pretty big step forward, but I’m wondering if it makes sense to convert my old AC55 to an AP for even better range upstairs. My AX88 is downstairs, I have a single Ethernet line going from the router to my office upstairs where I was considering using as an AP and using the ports on the AC55 to hardwire my office PC and whatever else I decide I might want to have a hard wired connection for up there. My question is, if I convert the AC55 to an AP, am I going to reintroduce that crappy multicasting issue I was having with this device when it was used as a router? Should I just thank it for it’s service and recycle it?

Can the RT-AC55U function as an AiMesh node for the RT-AX88U router, like the RP-AC55 can?

Sent using Tapatalk

RT-AC55U got no Aimesh functionality, but still can be used as AP.
The RP-AC55 had no AiMesh capability until a recent firmware update, so maybe the RT-AC55U might get an update too?
Or maybe Asus just wants people to buy newer hardware...

Sent using Tapatalk

It seems like using it as access point would be better then mesh though no? I mean it's a wire connected vs a wireless one. I just don't know if the router handles the multicasting or if the access point would be responsible for that in some way.

Test it and you will know!
You cant use RT-AC55U with Aimesh, only as AP.

@Myishmael I agree with @Grisu, test it and let us know too how it works (or not). :)

I would flash the latest firmware available for that device and then do a full reset to factory defaults.

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/

The above link may help with doing that properly.

If the device can then be put into AP mode (wired), test it out for a few days, changing as few settings as possible to rule out random option interactions.

If it doesn't support AP mode (wired) even with the latest firmware? Time to give it another home (if you don't want to try it in its native 'repeating mode' of operation. :)

OK both router and AP share the same SSID now so I don't really know what everything is connecting to, but it seems to let me roam well. I'll keep it running for a bit and if I notice the same failures I was getting before I'll just stick with the router's signal.

Ok a few hours in and getting the same issues with freezing and unable to connect when streaming. This old RT-AC55U is going to the recyclers. Too bad the signal strength was great having both of them up. Maybe I’ll get a ax mesh node when they get cheaper.

RP-AC55 is a repeater and very different device.
Maybe unrelated but how is an AP different from a Repeater if the Repeater on AiMesh enabled firmware can now use an ethernet connection backhaul to the router (instead of the usual WiFi connection back to the router)?

Sent using Tapatalk

Aimesh node can (in theory) automatically change between LAN and WLAN (if one goes down). And you got single place of administration on master router for all of them.

So does repurposing a more expensive router as an AiMesh node provide no advantage over repurposing the US$60 RP-AC55 (Repeater) as an AiMesh node?

Sent using Tapatalk

Why do you think it could, you castrate it down to repeater or AP mode, no routing functions needed for that.
You wont be faster with a Ferrari than with any other cheapest car while using puplic streets. You dont use all its more advanced capabilities.
If you only need a repeater go for one and dont buy a router.

The router firmware has the ability to control power levels, turn on/off individual bands, etc. Not sure if any of that functionality is still available when used as an AiMesh node.
Right now, I don't see a way to turn off the 2.4GHz band on the RP-AC55 in AiMesh mode but leave it on in the RT-AC88U.

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!