What's new

RT-AX89X Firmware development lag

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The RT-AX89X is actually an exception here, which confuses things in this debate. The RT-AX89X and the BRT-AC828 look to me like special projects from Asus that are either to test the waters in a different market segment, or to fill a very small market niche. I suspect that neither of these got as frequent updates as all their other mainstream devices (which as I indicated are more or less on a 2 months update cycle) because of their status as "special projects", or because of very low sales which cannot justify devoting as much development resources as the rest of their lineup. The fact that they are Qualcomm-based is probably just one element in the equation here. Probably doesn't help because Asus's very Broadcom-centric, but I don't think it's the only reason.

You're probably right that it was a special project and Asus just has a better working relationship with Broadcom. Considering Asus doesn't really manufacture any router (it's all made by other OEMs for Asus, similar to how Foxconn makes Apple products) there might be some other things at play here too (the AX6000 was filed to the FCC with a Qualcomm-based design and released as a Broadcom-based product.. so obviously something changed). I think the overheating / fan noise issues on early production didn't help either.

I don't know the specifics since I stopped working in the semiconductor industry in 2013 but judging from other units using the same Qualcomm platform (mostly enterprise gear) - I don't see any neglect or delays from Qualcomm.

It's probably just a matter of how many of these units they actually sold. It still doesn't make it less annoying.

Released

RT-AX89X : 3.0.0.4.386_47027-g965d016
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_47027
- Release Note -

Bug fixes and improvement:
1. Add 10G base-T IPG GUI option.
2. Fixed few wireless compatibility issues.
3. Fixed extend NSS not be synchornized to mesh node, and set to be default enabled.
4. Fixed open vpn related issues.
5. Fixed lets encrypt related issues.
6. Fixed AiMesh related issues.
7. Fixed minor GUI bugs and strings.
8. Update dual wan network monitor machanism.
9. Fixed AiCloud related issue.
10. Fixed DDNS related issues.

Security fixes:
1. Fixed authenticated stored Cross Site Scripting.
2. Fixed json/plc/port file traversal and stack overflow vulnerability.
3. Fixed httpd add line break to the command injection checklist.
4. Fixed httpd unauth DoS.
5. Fixed arbitrary file reading vulnerability.
6. Fixed HTTP smuggling.
7. Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.
Thanks!

Not gonna happen as I don't work with Qualcomm devices. Plus, there's nothing I can do about anything related to wifi or the 10G controller.

yeah how unfortunate what a good router bottlenecked by bad software implementation, a good dev would have made that router a beast considering its pro-sumer nature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!