What's new

End of year 2017 development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have no reason to believe that the RT-AC5300 won't eventually get updated. Whether they will have AiMesh support implemented is another story, but I think they did mention it was being worked on, the three radio design causing additional issues they need to sort out.

The irony here is if you click "backbone" in the "seamless wifi experience" section at https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/ , it is clearly showing a tri-band router using the 2nd 5Ghz band as backhaul.

I either missed it or it hasn't been mentioned, but what is your plan to support AiMesh?

I'll be able to answer that question once they release the source code to firmware with AiMesh support so I can evaluate what's involved.

Thanks for the update and hard work!

Still having a problem with the 382 code, I'll see if it is fixed in the next upcoming update.

What I am witnessing;

When I upgrade, my 5 GHz media bridge is no longer seen as a wireless bridge but seen as a network connection and it changes routing dramatically. I can connect to directly connected devices but static routing seems to not work. When I convert back to 380, it all works again. I will post something more detail if it happens again in the upcoming release with before/after screen shots.

its a pitty that the RT-AC66U is getting to old now to really support.
But i guess i will hold on to it until that ax routers will come along.

The RT-AC66U is around me the most used Asus routers, i have 2 of them, neighours,co workers.
Back then it was the best value for money, and it is still a very strong router.

But i am missing now on new stuff i guess, but i can live with it, the only thing that i would be really interrested in is: aiMesh which will not come for my 2 AC66U routers

But to buy another set like that AC86U just for that is a bit to much..

Just wanted to say thank you RMerlin for all your hard work and to the community members who have helped me with getting my RT-AC5300 configured during 2017. I've learned a lot too. So thank you!

It would be great to have AiMesh use ethernet backhaul, like the Apple Airports can do. Using 4 Airports at work for guest wifi and it works brilliantly (one AC Extreme and three N Express).

I hope that Merlin version of AiMesh will be introduced in ac68u,ac86u and others....It'would be fantastic to get a Merlin router with full vpn server/client capability and Ai Mesh support...

Thanks for all the work you do it is appreciated by many ... You and the whole community are very helpful when issues arise

So for the first few months, the release schedule should look like this:
  • 382.2: adding RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U, first few models with IPSEC and Let's Encrypt support
  • 380.69_2: minor bugfix release
  • 382.2_2 (if necessary): minor fixes for the newly added models
  • 382.3: adding the RT-AC3200 and possibly other models if possible
  • 380.70: Any new security fixes available at the time, dropping all models already ported to 382
With 382.x now dead and the 384.3 pre-release test builds out there, where does the 380.69_2 update fall in the schedule now?

With 382.x now dead and the 384.3 pre-release test builds out there, where does the 380.69_2 update fall in the schedule now?

Too busy to look back at 380 right now, and there's not enough important patches queued up to justify a release right now.

hmm my AC66U support will drop soon, looks i might have to get the AC86U, for time being I will see what happens, Then again i have really been keeping up FW for it either. still using 380.67, and really dont have urge or will to update it

My Merlin powered AC68U is still going strong, but recently I've been getting the urge to replace it and have shortlisted the AC86U, but it's quite expensive in the UK for an impulse purchase, or the Netgear R7800, which appears to be comparable on specs and is significantly cheaper than the Asus, but would see me moving away from Merlin's great work.

My Merlin powered AC68U is still going strong, but recently I've been getting the urge to replace it and have shortlisted the AC86U, but it's quite expensive in the UK for an impulse purchase, or the Netgear R7800, which appears to be comparable on specs and is significantly cheaper than the Asus, but would see me moving away from Merlin's great work.
Just remember, you get what you pay for...

Just remember, you get what you pay for...
To be honest, I want the AC86U more than the Netgear, but am in no hurry to replace my 68U, so will wait for the price to come down.

Thank you rMerlin for what you have done for n00bs like me who cancmake their routers a bit more smart

I have no reason to believe that the RT-AC5300 won't eventually get updated. Whether they will have AiMesh support implemented is another story, but I think they did mention it was being worked on, the three radio design causing additional issues they need to sort out.

It seems the RT-AC5300 firmware is at version 3.0.0.4.384.20379 and has AIMesh added like the others on January 26th update in version 3.0.0.4.384.20287. Though, I see this posting was about 20 days earlier and it wasn't out then... but what about now? I'm anxiously awaiting the Merlin update for the RT-AC5300 with AIMesh and checking daily.

Strangely, the RT-AC68U is only at firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20308 on their website. I have no idea why they can't publish consistently for all versions like Merlin does! Merlin should school them on how to do a release.

Thanks for all your hard work Merlin - love your firmware! Hoping for a 384.x release for the RT-AC5300.

but what about now? I'm anxiously awaiting the Merlin update for the RT-AC5300 with AIMesh and checking daily.

Check the various posts I've made these past few weeks. RT-AC5300 support is currently targeted for 384.4 as the code wasn't available yet during 384.3 development, and AiMesh support for any model is highly unlikely at this time, due to technical reasons.

Strangely, the RT-AC68U is only at firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20308 on their website. I have no idea why they can't publish consistently for all versions like Merlin does! Merlin should school them on how to do a release.

Asus has about 30 or 40 different models to take care of, including debugging and testing. I have 9, and most of the testing/debugging has already been done by Asus by the time I work with that code. Completely different ballgame...