What's new

RT-AX89X Reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rjharle

Occasional Visitor
From what I have read here about the AX89X I should avoid it at all cost. However, I found your site too late. I just bought a RT-AX89X and Zenwifi CTX8 for my AiMesh setup. Now before everyone tells me about my poor choice; please hear me out. I have everything setup and running for 3 days now with no issues. I have done nothing to push the system only went with default setup. I have Verizon Fios 1G and my test speeds are 780/960. Nodes check out and communicate on AX 5G which leaves 2.4 & 5G AC for clients. There isn't any WiFi 6 if you use the mesh. The fan is running in auto at 1760RPMs with a temp of 80F; cannot seem to adjust the speed. Now let me tell you why I think there has been a reset with the AX89X: Amazon was out and everyone else for a while (thought everyone wanted one) then last week the model was back. All the media praised the unit so I went with it. The S/N I got was xxxxxx-0000008 is this the 8th unit after the reset? The unit came with the latest firmware, H/W ver. A1. Not sure what to do; should I return it or is this a reset worth keeping?

A fan in a home router? What other pitfalls await?

I would have returned it as soon as I heard the fan spin up.

It seems all the AX units come with fans; my CTX8 units have fans. They are very quite I can't hear them with my head on the case.

No, not all. RT-AX58U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U for sure don't. I'm sure all the lower variants don't either.

The RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U are 45W capable chips, it seems by their power supply ratings.

What is the RT-AX89X and CTX8 unit's wattage?

Hearing them is only part of the issue (and when they're tired, old, and dirty, you will hear them). The more serious part is having a $1 part fail and the $500 system go with it.

I don't know the wattage and as far as fans go I don't know what all the fuss is about after all the Ubiquiti Dream Machine has one and I don't think you would send that back just because of a fan. I was interested in your response to the AX89X's performance and features. The first bunch of posts trashed the router and thought Asus discontinued it. I think it came back and have one that is working fine so far. My question was since the media and reviews are positive what does the forum think of it? Even if it does have a fan.

The annoying fan noise on the AX89X was one of the main reasons i got rid of it, the other being poor wifi performance compared to my Netgear RAX200.

properly setup, the ax89x has been the best Asus router I have owned. Under administration turn the fan to high and decrease the chipset temperature if your in a warmer climate resulting in a very stable router.

@Rjharle you can read the voltage (V) and amperes (A) and multiply them directly to get the wattage (W) if they aren't stated specifically right on the power supply adaptor the router uses.

@Rjharle you can read the voltage (V) and amperes (A) and multiply them directly to get the wattage (W) if they aren't stated specifically right on the power supply adaptor the router uses.
Sorry I thought you were asking about chip wattage. The total watt available from the adaptor is 64.98 watts ( 19 V x 3.42 A RT-AX89X) and 33.25 watts ( 19V x 1.75A each ZenWifi CTX8)

properly setup, the ax89x has been the best Asus router I have owned. Under administration turn the fan to high and decrease the chipset temperature if your in a warmer climate resulting in a very stable router.
Still learning "proper setup" I'm running the unit with the default settings now. I always like to run run my stuff with the default first; this way if it crashes it's not something I did wrong. I'll inch my way into the setup after it runs well at default. I can't hear the fan at 1700rpms not even with my head on the case.

Okay, at 65W, I can understand why it will need a fan. But still doesn't justify the performance vs. the noise.

The CTX8 is just a bad design. If a 45W RT-AX88U/RT-AX86U can operate without one, at over 10W less, why can't this? :)

Okay, at 65W, I can understand why it will need a fan. But still doesn't justify the performance vs. the noise.

The CTX8 is just a bad design. If a 45W RT-AX88U/RT-AX86U can operate without one, at over 10W less, why can't this? :)
I disabled the fan and so far according to fan setup I'm running at about 95 deg F I'll keep it off to see what happens. I think AndreiV was right in the CTX8 doesn't have a fan. (thought I read it somewhere that it did) Again there isn't any fan noise :) Performance ... you think the AX89X performs poorly?

For the money? Yes. :)

For the money? Yes. :)
I'm streaming a 4k movie with Dolby Atmos temp up to 140 deg F no crash. I have 30 days to return the router. What would you suggest I do to the router to see if it is worthy? If it isn't what router would you suggest? Please keep in mind I also have the CTX units too.

The router ran with the fan off for 2 hours and the max temp flatten out at 140 deg F. no crashes. Check out the Tweaktown review "the quickest router they have test so far (date 11/2020)"

I'm streaming a 4k movie with Dolby Atmos temp up to 140 deg F no crash. I have 30 days to return the router. What would you suggest I do to the router to see if it is worthy? If it isn't what router would you suggest? Please keep in mind I also have the CTX units too.
I have an RT-AX89X having given up on Zenwfi AX6000 units
I have had problems with iPads and iPhone connectivity with IOT devices on apple home/google home apps.
Spectrum is my internet provider.
Since I changed the WAN DNS and DHCP DNS servers to 1.1.1.1, my system (RT AX89X with GT-AC5300 Mesh Node) has been very stable with a total of 65 devices connected.
As I have been working from home there have been many occasions where 8 Nest IQ cameras with high bandwidth settings, nest Hub max streaming an IQ camera feed, multiple time machine backups, face time calls, Webex calls, streaming 4K content from Amazon Prime all with no network problems.
Maybe I just got the one RT-AX89X that works, but it was a lot better than the Orbi system it replaced.
So spend some time looking at every aspect of your system, making sure that you have the latest drivers as I found updated WiFi drivers on my Dell laptop made it much more stable.

Last edited:
@oldguy, do you mean WAN DNS servers? That I agree with. :)

Thanks for your response Oldguy. I don't have anywhere near the many connections; 20 at max. I do have some iphones and ipads that so far haven't been a problem with with the Zenwifi but I'll keep an eye on them. I'm glad you have a unit that is working well for you. My AX89X replaces a RT-AC5300 that is now sitting in a box with a AC3100, I suppose I could mesh them all together and get the internet coming out of the toaster. Can you tell me how long the RT-AX89X has been up running with no problems? Have you tried the 10G Base-T port? Is your fan load?

I have Verizon Fios 1G my connection to the ONT is at the data port (yes I have TV with no Verizon router) I have been thinking about trying out that 10G Base -T port; I'm just not sure what it takes to get 10G Base-T running and since I just got the unit I don't want to blame the unit when I did something wrong. I still running the router in default; no problems for 5 days.

Again thank you for your response :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Oldguy. I don't have anywhere near the many connections; 20 at max. I do have some iphones and ipads that so far haven't been a problem with with the Zenwifi but I'll keep an eye on them. I'm glad you have a unit that is working well for you. My AX89X replaces a RT-AC5300 that is now sitting in a box with a AC3100, I suppose I could mesh them all together and get the internet coming out of the toaster. Can you tell me how long the RT-AX89X has been up running with no problems? Have you tried the 10G Base-T port? Is your fan load?

I have Verizon Fios 1G and have been thinking about trying out that port; I'm just not sure what it takes to get 10G Base-T running and since I just got the unit I don't want to blame the unit when I did something wrong. I still running the router in default; no problems for 5 days.

Again thank you for your response :)
My unit arrived August 10th 2020, after waiting 6 weeks for delivery.

I had planned to get a replacement for defective Zenwifi units for mesh nodes but just saved myself $400 bucks by using my GT-AC5300 as the mesh node since I did not have time to fix wired back haul for the two Zenwifi units

I have a Spectrum Gig plan, and can get >700Mbps from an iPad Pro or my 2013 iMac on a wireless connection, with the nest camera’s and hub running and with my IOT switches,

My setup is
two Gigabit Ethernet devices plugged into the RT AX89X
10G RJ45 link to a 10G switch
with a second 10G connection for my NAS
1G link to the GT-AC5300.
SFP+ port verified with a 10Gtek 10GBase-T SFP+ transceiver with no problems
may use this for another 10G switch for wired connections in my home office.

I have the fan set to auto, but the graphic seems to think it is running full speed, but I can’t hear it, but that may be masked by tinnitus in both ears.

The only complaint I have is that the hand off between the RT-AX89X and the GT-AC5300 seems strange, but I hope this issue will be addressed when I either get the latest Beta or official 386 branch release for the GT-AC5300, just waiting for a time when I can take a work break to change the firmware.

Last edited: