What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, these are CAT 7 LAN cables.

5C7y0gS.jpg

There are even CAT 8 ones too.

vP4yp0u.jpg

In your case, it should able to suffice if only covering short distances ;)

In case you are wondering what switches i'm using.

I'm using the QNAP QSW-1208-8C non managed 10G Ethernet/SFP+ switch with multiple based-T support currently which i still have those smart/managed switches tho.

8Tojw3y.jpg

Those cables are whoa. From what little I read, Cat 7 isn't standard and not backward compatible. Never saw a connector like that before. Thought it was fiber based. And Cat 8 cables, as I understand it, are used in data centers vs consumer spots. And with specs like that, I imagined the router would be 500+ But almost 900? That's an immediate no for me. As much as I would love it, I paid 220 for my 86U a little over a year ago. I couldn't pay that price for a router, though. That's a year+ for me. And then there' switches. Loved the QNAP, but 550 off Amazon is too much for me. (Though I realize, 10G gear isn't all that expensive at those prices, especially if you're getting what you pay for.) You say you're running a 10G connection? Are you getting what you pay for? And how much is that in USD? I only got a Gig connection mid of last year. it runs at 950/42. And it runs at 150 a month off promo (90 for 2 years on promo). Comcast moves damn slow. As I found out, I planned to use the Gig for Xbox and the like, only to be limited to 300 max. And the rest of my equipment doesn't do a gig because of limits. I do get full speed when everything is running, though. Almost 10 devices.

According to the clerk when I went to upgrade, (I was watching the upgrade happen over 2 days and the gears in my head started grinding.) I was the first person the area to ask for the Gig service. (I'm lucky with things like that, usually being the first to ask for stuff after it supposedly debuts.) And that they started taking orders for it yesterday. Took an hour to get it going at the desk, though. When I walked out, the smile was brilliant.

Pricing will always be a joke. No consumer grade router is worth over $400 in any shape or form.

That may be true for you, but others may have different needs and more disposable income than both of us. :)

Those cables are whoa. From what little I read, Cat 7 isn't standard and not backward compatible. Never saw a connector like that before. Thought it was fiber based. And Cat 8 cables, as I understand it, are used in data centers vs consumer spots. And with specs like that, I imagined the router would be 500+ But almost 900? That's an immediate no for me. As much as I would love it, I paid 220 for my 86U a little over a year ago. I couldn't pay that price for a router, though. That's a year+ for me. And then there' switches. Loved the QNAP, but 550 off Amazon is too much for me. (Though I realize, 10G gear isn't all that expensive at those prices, especially if you're getting what you pay for.) You say you're running a 10G connection? Are you getting what you pay for? And how much is that in USD? I only got a Gig connection mid of last year. it runs at 950/42. And it runs at 150 a month off promo (90 for 2 years on promo). Comcast moves damn slow. As I found out, I planned to use the Gig for Xbox and the like, only to be limited to 300 max. And the rest of my equipment doesn't do a gig because of limits. I do get full speed when everything is running, though. Almost 10 devices.

According to the clerk when I went to upgrade, (I was watching the upgrade happen over 2 days and the gears in my head started grinding.) I was the first person the area to ask for the Gig service. (I'm lucky with things like that, usually being the first to ask for stuff after it supposedly debuts.) And that they started taking orders for it yesterday. Took an hour to get it going at the desk, though. When I walked out, the smile was brilliant.

Hi, not sure what your area 10Gbps rollout plans, but 10Gbps Internet Fiber residential services on the increase and many countries are offering it.

Yes. our country (Singapore) is the kinda second (early year 2016) in the world to launch 10Gbps fiber residential services based on XGPON1 standard (SingTel and M1). We have 10Gbps Fiber service based on Optical Ethernet technologies as well.

~> http://www.iptel.net.sg/resi_10ge.html

~> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10G-PON

First was Hong Kong (HK) to announce the availability of 10Gbps residential Internet Fiber services (HK Telecom and PCCW) on based XGPON1 standard too.

Most of the XGPON1 10Gbps are using HuaWei XGPON optical network router (ONR) as the base terminal to provide 10Gbps connectivity, there are a few variants of the different HuaWei EchoLife HN8055Q prefixes models depending on each 10Gbps Fiber ISP needs and wants. (like triple play services, Digital Voice, VLAN etc) and HuaWei XGPON OLT at their backend.

~> https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/access-network/echolife-hn8055q-pid-21506184

~> https://e.huawei.com/en/products/enterprise-transmission-access/access/olt/ea5800

For my case, my ISP is using customised variant of the HuaWei EchoLife HN8254 and it's special configured and operating in bridge mode (dummy) (my ISP and HuaWei network engineers came by my place to troubleshoot/work and benching together for my ASUS RT-AX89X* prototype to act as a main router and no double NAT) and I have 10Gbps Internet Fiber Optical Ethernet too to my premises.

xm68sHH.jpg

P.S. ~> I'm paying like SGD$200 each after taxes (XGPON and OE) per month, so total of SGD$400

200 Singapore Dollar equals
144.68 United States Dollar
X2
Or
200 Singapore Dollar equals
190.79 Canadian Dollar
X2

Give or take, I'm using Google for direct currency conversion.

Last edited:
First look @ the actual ASUS RT-AX89X updated @ 24/08/2019

The ASUS RT-AX89X dev kit has arrived.

The is the closest/fully functional ASUS RT-AX89X router pictures that one is able to find on the WWW. I got go ahead permission from ASUS TW HQ networking to publish all these ASUS RT-AX89X product images including the GUI in the coming days.

I will be doing all the necessary performance metrics testing and benching but the results will not be publish tho and will be embargo due to NDA until further notice.

As for availability/SRP, the various respective ASUS regional marketing will make the official announcements when it's due for official launch/retail.

This is how the actual ASUS RT-AX89X looks like.

LcyTFMG.jpg

u1zcINm.jpg

Label info

oqJ0mkf.jpg

Hardware revision - A1 (subjected to changes without prior notice)

Production year - 2019

I have edited the images to remove the firmware prefixes which this not a shipping firmware as yet.

3x WAN ports - left ~ 1GbE WAN, middle ~ 10GbE WAN, right ~> SFP+ WAN and reset button

vhlszy0.jpg

Last edited:
2x USB3.0 ports, Power Button, DC PowerIN slot

1IEl2R9.jpg

8x 1GbE LAN ports

CpFO2TB.jpg

WPS button, LED ON/OFF button, WiFi ON/OFF button

II7Mtmi.jpg

Status LED

The individual LED status labeling is not ready as yet, hence dev kit.

CxsQwdT.jpg

Last edited:
This is an evolution of the ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 discussed previously given a new name and maybe some upgrades.

Yes, indeed :D

Guess you have been an ASUS networking close advocate been following ASUS networking products all these time. :p

Previously the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 (unreleased) and ASUS GT-AX5400 (unreleased) has undergo a model name change including the chassis.

The noticeable difference is the CPU bump to QCA IPQ 8078 2.2GHz quad core from the QCA IPQ 8074 2GHz quad core respectively.

Last edited:
Finally a use for my 10G SuperInternet connection. 3 years too late.

Announcement at Comex maybe?

My best guess is at least earliest late Q4 2019 or maybe even Q1 2020.

Availability and retailing is totally impossible @ COMEX 2019 ..... less than 2 weeks will be our local COMEX show (05-08 Sep).
For international readers, COMEX is (in Singapore) one of our annual 4 quarterly main trade event where consumers can shop around in exhibition halls setup (booth) to purchase newly announced IT products/peripherals by various vendors.

@ ~> https://www.comexitshow.com.sg/

There are development QC cycles to fulfill and bugs/weird issues if discover or found to resolve first.

Only ASUS TW HQ networking will have a more definite answer down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight.

Will be interesting to see whether they launch with ISP tie-ups.

I don‘t like how Singtel is now forcing their ONR on customers - glad you got it to work in Bridged Mode.

This router in it's current form is a BIG FAIL ! 10 Gbps WAN port and not a single 10 Gbps LAN port? That is enough for me to completely ignore this junk.

All I need is 1 10 Gbps WAN port and 1 10 Gbps LAN port to feed my 10 Gbe 8 port switch. Let the suckers get suckered into this. If I get a 10 Gbps internet connection, I will be restricted to just 1 Gbps on all my PCs due to this dumb design decision. Definitely not future proof. This is my brutally honest assessment of this model.
Next.......

This router in it's current form is a BIG FAIL ! 10 Gbps WAN port and not a single 10 Gbps LAN port? That is enough for me to completely ignore this junk.

All I need is 1 10 Gbps WAN port and 1 10 Gbps LAN port to feed my 10 Gbe 8 port switch. Let the suckers get suckered into this. If I get a 10 Gbps internet connection, I will be restricted to just 1 Gbps on all my PCs due to this dumb design decision. Definitely not future proof. This is my brutally honest assessment of this model.
Next.......

What about WiFi with AX devices?

You should have bought an Edgecore 10 Gbe switch with an SFP+ and a 10 Base-T port - has been available for years - fanless as well.

With Optical Ethernet, the Fibre goes straight into the switch. No need for additional h/w

Next.......
Totally agree with you, what is the point of 10Gbps WAN without a single 10Gbps LAN. Wifi AX just don't cut it. Unless 10Gbps WAN is remapable.
I just don't understand what 1Gbps WAN port for? Compatibility problem?

26/10/2019 updates

Commencing pairing with my 10Gbps SingTel Fiber Internet to provide 10Gbps Internet connectivity to my main desktop PC and multiple 10GbE ready storage NAS.

EXVOUL7.jpg

MrVrLzj.jpg

It's done with just a few clicks away, simple as ABC

wAEgUCp.png

4jZnl1m.png

96kZ3Tn.png

Next.......

You have 10G Ethernet and SFP+ in there. See the photos above for such a setup where he's using a 10 Gbps Internet connection while feeding his 10G switch for his LAN.

sanke1, I’m guessing the 10 Gb port can be used as a LAN port just like the 5Gb WAN/LAN port on the RAX120.

Overall nice to see a Qualcomm AX product from Asus. QCA usually does a better job of implementing MU/other ancillary features and usually more OpenWRT/Open Source friendly than Broadcom parts.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!