What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Awesome!

Have you also tried running your SI Optical Ethernet straight into the AX89U’s SFP+ port?

That would be my preferred option. Would also be good to know whether the supplied transceiver is compatible with the AX89U.

Update ~ 30/08/2019

As promised ~ the setup GUI as follows, it's was slightly delayed because of the AX89X newer firmware GUI changes, updates and fixes.

F5fGV56.png

ggaotb1.png

Please ignore this image if your Internet connectivity WAN is 10G Fiber XGPON or direct 10G SFP+ Optical Ethernet.

b7SKN0Y.png

Please ignore those posted images previously showing that my 10G SingTel Fiber are connected via Dual WAN tab options. Now you are able to configure directly either WAN 1G/WAN 10G or direct SFP+ Optical Ethernet upon the initial setup which was properly intended.

ilMshTA.png

sPcEzNK.png

Last edited:
Awesome!

Have you also tried running your SI Optical Ethernet straight into the AX89U’s SFP+ port?

That would be my preferred option. Would also be good to know whether the supplied transceiver is compatible with the AX89U.

I have verified with ASUS TW HQ Networking that SFP+ can be used as Primary WAN as well.

As for the 10GbE WAN, it's re-mappable and swappable vice versa like the SFP+ to my QNAP 10G switch to provide 10Gbps connectivity to my multiple 10GbE NAS devices in my scenario setup.

You can to use it for provide 10Gbps connectivity LAN or connect to any managed L2/L3 or even un-managed 10GbE switches besides all the 8x1GbE LAN as well when the SFP+ is set as primary WAN.

As for the transceiver, ASUS TW HQ networking will release a compatible list on their ASUS RT-AX89X support when the ASUS RT-AX89X is near retail.

I'm using the Finisar FTLX8571D3BNL-E5 SFP+ transceiver if you are wondering.

Last edited:
Could I plug a 1Gbit Singlefiber SFP Transceiver (10 km/TX1310/RX1490–1550 nm) into the WAN SFP+ Port and get rid of my media converter?
In most cases SFP Modules work just fine in SFP+ Slots but who knows

How do you feel the qualcomm chipset ranks in comparison to broadcom? Do you know if there is any reason they choose qualcomm over broadcom

How do you feel the qualcomm chipset ranks in comparison to broadcom? Do you know if there is any reason they choose qualcomm over broadcom

Qualcomm is ahead of Broadcom in various areas. Faster CPU, cleaner software stack as well. Broadcom has a lot of kernel hacks left and right within their software stack, which is not helping keeping the software up to date..

Asus has been using chips from all the major players already (Qualcomm, Broadcom and Mediatek), depending on where they want to place a given product within their product range. So this isn't their first QCA product, however this is the first time they use it for ta high-end model. They are already using QCA for their Lyra products, for instance.

Personally, I have a feeling that Broadcom might gradually get pushed to the bottom of the market, with QCA being dominating these days in the ARM SoC market.

Qualcomm is ahead of Broadcom in various areas. Faster CPU, cleaner software stack as well. Broadcom has a lot of kernel hacks left and right within their software stack, which is not helping keeping the software up to date..

Asus has been using chips from all the major players already (Qualcomm, Broadcom and Mediatek), depending on where they want to place a given product within their product range. So this isn't their first QCA product, however this is the first time they use it for ta high-end model. They are already using QCA for their Lyra products, for instance.

Personally, I have a feeling that Broadcom might gradually get pushed to the bottom of the market, with QCA being dominating these days in the ARM SoC market.
Personally, QSDK is definitely far superior over what Broadcom currently offers.

I wish ASUS put more effort in their QCA based developments considering how much of a mess the entire Lyra lineup currently is.

I wish ASUS put more effort in their QCA based developments considering how much of a mess the entire Lyra lineup currently is.

The Lyra line of product is dead, the successor is branded ZenWifi.

(that does not mean that support for existing products is dead, just that they will no longer be manufacturing it, or won't release new products under the same brand name).

This router is Fugly.

Hopefully they make a RT-AX89U that looks similar to the AC and AX88U but with 10Gbps ports on it.

The Lyra line of product is dead, the successor is branded ZenWifi.

(that does not mean that support for existing products is dead, just that they will no longer be manufacturing it, or won't release new products under the same brand name).
I've seen the ZenWiFi during Computex this year and it certainly looks good. I also have the chance to speak to some ASUS engineer. While there are some great promises on AiMesh but knowing ASUS, I guess it wouldn't be here until next year.

hehe... not sure I would call is "cleaner" as QSDK has a fair amount of private stuff - that being said, QSDK is based on OpenWRT

Personally, QSDK is definitely far superior over what Broadcom currently offers.

Any vendors's SDK is going to present challenges... Asus is doing an ok job of integrating them across vendors.

QSDK isn't that much different than other vendors - Broadcom, Lantiq (Intel), RealTek, MediaTek/Ralink...

hehe... not sure I would call is "cleaner" as QSDK has a fair amount of private stuff - that being said, QSDK is based on OpenWRT

By cleaner, I mean it's not the complete mess that Broadcom's is. Broadcom's SDK has extensive patches applied to the kernel and busybox, and their HND build environment filesystem is a complete maze to navigate. Combined with Asus's own build environment, I still haven't figured out why building an HND firmware requires many of the userspace tools to be recompiled 3 or even 4 times... It takes me 21 minutes to build the RT-AC88U, versus a bit over 30 minutes for the RT-AX88U.

That's one insane looking router! Loving the specs though.

According to this website the device is for sale (internationally at-least) on the 20th for roughly $1000USD .

Will be interesting to see high end NAS units being able to take advantage of the 10G ports and AX speeds.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!