What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doc octopus

900bb06cabf39027.png

Qualcomm 802.11ax based, cpu quad-core 2.2 GHz, 10 Gbit port, but above all it is inconspicuous.
I'm lovin it :p

Looks like an RT-AC5300 just mated with an older Lyra.

It's the best kept secret for almost like 10 months ago .... only a few handful are aware of this ... and finally it's announced.

I have been kept busy over these couple of months for debugging/testing on 10Gbps connection.

Do bear in mind, my unit is a prototype that comes with ASUS Aura Sync so i will not be naming this the actual SKU and specs which is similar to the ASUS RT-AX89X and it’s subjected to changes without prior notice. This is not the actual ASUS RT-AX89X.

Any performance results with the actual ASUS RT-AX89X will still embargoed until further instructions from ASUS TW HQ networking.

PGbnmA7.jpg

mHDSI8m.jpg

4YKBzZZ.jpg

Last edited:
This router is going to be a paradise for Merlin's firmware!!! Sheesh!

Conflicted on if I should retire my GT-AX11000 altogether for this, or keep it as an AP?

This router is going to be a paradise for Merlin's firmware!!! Sheesh!

Conflicted on if I should retire my GT-AX11000 altogether for this, or keep it as an AP?

Guess you will be out of luck ....

Merlin doesn't support any ASUS QCA based routers :( on his firmware.

ASUS RT-AX89X is using QCA IPQ8078 2.2GHz quad core CPU.

Last edited:

Merlin doesn't support any ASUS QCA based routers /sad on his firmware.

ASUS RT-AX89X is using QCA IPQ 8078 2.2GHz quad core CPU.

If we're lucky, he doesn't support it 'yet'. :)

Merlin doesn't support any ASUS QCA based routers :( on his firmware.

ASUS RT-AX89X is using QCA IPQ8078 2.2GHz quad core CPU.

Dang it! :(

I checked my Amazon cart and the AX88U is unavailable as new from Amazon (currently).
I checked if they offered RT-AX89X, for pre-order, but not currently found in Amazon database.
I was only looking for my disposable income friends here on the forum :D

If we're lucky, he doesn't support it 'yet'. :)

Will be very very hard almost impossible ... so far there is only 2 ASUS official SKU that is based on Qualcomm IPQ - namely ASUS BRT-AC828 and this ASUS RT-AX89X

A couple of older models N series are Mediatek based CPU and almost all the AC models are Broadcom based.

And only the Blue Cave is Intel based :p

I checked my Amazon cart and the AX88U is unavailable as new from Amazon (currently).
I checked if they offered RT-AX89X, for pre-order, but not currently found in Amazon database.
I was only looking for my disposable income friends here on the forum :D

Keep your eyes on Newegg.com...they seem to come up with deals, especially at the end of summer/August. Make sure to signup for their daily sale emails and review each of them carefully as such offers are usually hidden among other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so far there is only 2 ASUS official SKU that is based on Qualcomm IPQ - namely ASUS BRT-AC828 and this ASUS RT-AX89X

There a few more, including the Lyra and Lyra Trio, and the RT-AC58U.

Reactions: RTN
There a few more, including the Lyra and Lyra Trio, and the RT-AC58U.

You are correct, thanks for reminding me :)

ASUS has way too many routers and networking peripherals these days to remember all. :eek:

Official specifications as follows based on those posted CN articles.

~> https://www.techbang.com/posts/7178...d-network-in-combination-with-wi-fi-6-80211ax

https://www.pcmarket.com.hk/2019/07/31/對撼netgear-ax12戰機-asus發表rt-ax89x雙10g-router/

http://www.sohu.com/a/329517543_374...spm=smpc.content.fd-d.74.1564185600023oXoZw5N

CPU ~> Qualcomm IPQ8078 quad core 2.2GHz CPU
RAM ~> 1GB RAM
Connectivity ~> 3x WAN (1GbE LAN, 10GbE LAN, SFP+) 8x1GbE LAN
USB ~> 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1
Wi-Fi Standards ~> 802.11ax
Wi-Fi Spectral Bands: ~> 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
Peak speed ~> 4.8 Gbps
MIMO Configuration ~> 12x12 (8x8 5GHz + 4x4 2.4 GHz)
Wi-Fi Features ~> 1024 QAM, Advanced QoS, MU-MIMO, OFDMA, Uplink scheduling, TxBF, Wi-Fi SON

SRP ~> RMB5999

There will be an ASUS TuF gaming router to be announce in late Sep too. :p

tuf_gaming-768x277.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: RTN
Official specifications as follows based on those posted CN articles.

~> https://www.techbang.com/posts/7178...d-network-in-combination-with-wi-fi-6-80211ax

https://www.pcmarket.com.hk/2019/07/31/對撼netgear-ax12戰機-asus發表rt-ax89x雙10g-router/

http://www.sohu.com/a/329517543_374...spm=smpc.content.fd-d.74.1564185600023oXoZw5N

CPU ~> Qualcomm IPQ8078 quad core 2.2GHz CPU
RAM ~> 1GB RAM
Connectivity ~> 3x WAN (1GbE LAN, 10GbE LAN, SFP+) 8x1GbE LAN
USB ~> 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1
Wi-Fi Standards ~> 802.11ax
Wi-Fi Spectral Bands: ~> 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
Peak speed ~> 4.8 Gbps
MIMO Configuration ~> 12x12 (8x8 5GHz + 4x4 2.4 GHz)
Wi-Fi Features ~> 1024 QAM, Advanced QoS, MU-MIMO, OFDMA, Uplink scheduling, TxBF, Wi-Fi SON

SRP ~> RMB5999

There will be an ASUS TuF gaming router to be announce in late Sep too. :p

tuf_gaming-768x277.gif

Oh, those specs. I'm drooling. But what is that flat, blue cable in the one picture? Cat 7? Is that actually a thing now? I'm still rocking 5e or Cat 6. Oh, my wallet would die for this.

Oh, those specs. I'm drooling. But what is that flat, blue cable in the one picture? Cat 7? Is that actually a thing now? I'm still rocking 5e or Cat 6. Oh, my wallet would die for this.

Yes, these are CAT 7 LAN cables.

5C7y0gS.jpg

There are even CAT 8 ones too.

vP4yp0u.jpg

In your case, it should able to suffice if only covering short distances ;)

In case you are wondering what switches i'm using.

I'm using the QNAP QSW-1208-8C non-managed 10G Ethernet/SFP+ switch with multiple based-T support currently which i still have those smart/managed switches tho.

8Tojw3y.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, this thing isn't going to be cheap.

SRP ~> RMB5999

5,999 Chinese Yuan equals
852.16 United States Dollar

* Disclaimer ~ this SRP is derived from what is publicity posted on the CN ROG BUFF articles coverage which may subjected to changes from respective ASUS region pricing.

I was not told by whomsoever in ASUS of any such information.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!