What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Where did you buy it and when? Been searching for it and watching Newegg for most few days and they haven’t been showing stock. Are you observing stock anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micro Center has them in Stock - as of this moment right across the US ($20 premium)

https://www.microcenter.com/product...streaming-mu-mimo-ax-router-w--aimesh-support

replaced 2 asus rt-ac86u (mesh) with this 1 ax89x - simply put a fantastic beast! ax coverage on the i11's is average 800mb down approx 30feet and holding at 500-600mb at 50ft. significantly stronger ac signal as well. wired connections consistent at 930mb+ needed to fine tune the channels and disabled dfs, switched off 2.4ghz (neighborhood specific) rather then auto settings. Dong NGO's review was spot on.

speaking of Dong's review. I am about to receive mine. In Dong's review they mention that the AIMesh with backhaul didn't work? any new update on that?

speaking of Dong's review. I am about to receive mine. In Dong's review they mention that the AIMesh with backhaul didn't work? any new update on that?

The user "Ak719" said in page 11 he bought two rt-ax89x and the AImesh works but the second node has to be plugged with the 1G WAN port (and not the 10Gig ports).

this isn't a specific AX89X question, but has anyone tried to set up a LAG/LACP on the node to backhaul to the main router? Since I am about to receive my AX89X, I am planning to use my old AX88U as an AIMesh node and backhaul with a 2Gb LAG/LACP connection (Since normally for the WAN LAG/LACP it's WAN port + Port 4

Something really strange happens to this router... and I can’t make sense of it: using Stadia for about 10 min on my AX200 PC, kills the 5GHz stream on the router but the 2.4 is alive and well. I checked to see if the 5GHz is visible by other devices but nope, is just dead. I need to manually restart the router to get it back. It happens every time. I have it for about 2 weeks and it did not blink once otherwise.
It also kills the web interface

Last edited:
Am I the only person who thinks it is strange to provide only a 32bit to this beast?
64bit environment definitely provides a better experience.
Is it a qualcomm problem?

Am I the only person who thinks it is strange to provide only a 32bit to this beast?
They want to sell you a 64 bit model in future at iPhone Pro Max price. In 10 years, a router might cost as much as an entry level car.

32 bit what I thought this was a 64 bit chip? Arm Cortex-A53 are 64 bit chips

Last edited:
I don't think Asuswrt would work properly in 64-bit, not without a lot of work.

Also, 64-bit tends to increase memory requirements, so the benefits on low-powered devices isn't necessarily there to justify the extra work.

I don't think Asuswrt would work properly in 64-bit, not without a lot of work.

Also, 64-bit tends to increase memory requirements, so the benefits on low-powered devices isn't necessarily there to justify the extra work.
So basically routers these days have 64-bit processors but run 32-bit software?

@Odkrys I don't think that was a test between 32bit and 64bit? The RT-AC86U has AES acceleration for VPN connections. :)

Yes, but the AES acceleration is hardware. Won't make a significant difference that I know of? The link only shows a comparison to the Arm v7 routers. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!