What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. I'm on a 330/50 Mbps connection so hopefully I should get close to isp speeds assuming there's no slowdowns on the VPN server - I'll be using OpenVPN's own VPN service, Private Tunnel.

Btw anyone know where to buy the AX89X in US/UK/EU? It seems to be out of stock everywhere, and no I ain't paying the silly eBay prices of $500+ lol

Cheers

micro Center in the US or CA is your best bet. They keep getting it in and out of stock but if you check every couple days you will be able to get one for in store pick up. I live near Chicago and got mine a week ago.

I would not recommend this router though - I upgraded from AX88U that I’ve been using for 7-8 months now and the 89X is a big disappointment. Has a loud and extremely annoying fan in it that starts spinning crazy from the moment you turn on the router. Also issues with coverage on the 5GHZ network - my Apple TV 4K can’t stay connected to the network during streams where with the 88U I never had problems, issues with iPhone having trouble staying connected to the 5GHZ network as well and less coverage on the 2.4ghz network. Also doesn’t support WPA3 as of fight now.

The AX88U is 100 buck cheaper with the same available features In the firmware minus the 10gig ports but better performer and coverage and no annoying fan!

I was doing a simple ping test about 3 meter from the router, and I am getting random timeout on simple ping test like above on Android (Sony XZ3)
The same test done on iPhone 11 has no issue at all.
I am running the latest firmware already. Please help.

58LM0gl.jpg

Love this.

How does the old joke go.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that get binary and those that don’t.

or there are 10 (base 2 or 2 in subscript) types of people in the world
(10)2 or 102= 2
1* 2^1 + 0*2^0 = 1*2 + 0*1 = 2 + 0 = 2

New firmware available through the update mechanism.

3.0.0.4.384_82800-g8529612

Version 3.0.0.4.384.82800 2020/07/0949.56 MBytesASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.82800
- Improved system stability.
- Now support 10G RJ45 and 1G RJ45 WAN aggregation

Last edited:
True it's gone but have seen Asus support do that a few times - should be out again soon. Managed to download the last version 82800 and as per Brian above it's been very stable (4 days now) particularly on 160mhz. iPhone 11's hit 850 down (10 ft) with average 700-800 down (30ft). Also enabled LAG with the MB-8600 cable modem and have seen a noticeable bump in wifi speeds (approx. 100mb). Don't have LAG on the PC side to test comcast's 1.2gb with over-provisioning but it's certainly maxing out the 1gb ethernet port maximums.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 221
True it's gone but have seen Asus support do that a few times - should be out again soon. Managed to download the last version 82800 and as per Brian above it's been very stable (4 days now) particularly on 160mhz. iPhone 11's hit 850 down (10 ft) with average 700-800 down (30ft). Also enabled LAG with the MB-8600 cable modem and have seen a noticeable bump in wifi speeds (approx. 100mb). Don't have LAG on the PC side to test comcast's 1.2gb with over-provisioning but it's certainly maxing out the 1gb ethernet port maximums.

never came down for me. I’m in the US

They pulled the new firmware from the website.
3.0.0.4.384_82800-g8529612

Nope, they didn't

you can download it from the direct link :)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX89X/FW_RT_AX89X_300438482800.zip

Version 3.0.0.4.384.82800 2020/07/09 49.56 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.82800

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: a4818b0fa8a15219439256df9941d6b5

if one wanted to set this up but needed an additional wired connection in the garage, would an extender work just as well as "meshing" it?
and, since this is not tri band, would it be smarter to stick to a dual band extender, or would a triband one work just as well?

thanks

Does anyone know when the ASUS RT-AX89X will be available in Canada?

Also, is the ASUS RT-AX89X in stock online (not in store) anywhere in the USA right now?

I’ve been waiting for this router to be available in Canada but it’s nowhere to been seen. I’ve been telling myself that maybe I should get the AX88U instead as I can easily find it right now.

Nope, they didn't

you can download it from the direct link :)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX89X/FW_RT_AX89X_300438482800.zip

Version 3.0.0.4.384.82800 2020/07/09 49.56 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.82800

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: a4818b0fa8a15219439256df9941d6b5

This firmware version make the router randomly reboot since I upgrade it. You just need to check the log file and you will see the router reboot automatically. I just downgrade the firmware back to older version.

Just checked my logs. No random reboots here since upgrading.

EDIT: Today I seemed to experience a couple of reboots. Nothing strange in the log though.

Last edited:
So I had a couple more random reboots, even on the previous firmware version. I flashed the latest version, reset to factory settings, then re-applied my config, and there have been no random reboots in ~3 days.

So I had a couple more random reboots, even on the previous firmware version. I flashed the latest version, reset to factory settings, then re-applied my config, and there have been no random reboots in ~3 days.

I think I know how to make the AX89X to reboot. You can try to leave the router run for a couple hours or even 1 day, and then login to your router Admin GUI page via browser, as soon as you login to the router , the router have 50% chance to auto reboot.

I have been having major issue on this router and have tried numerous firmware as well as beta firmware from Asus support, but it still crash to reboot on daily basis. I can also confirm this router wouldn't work as AiMesh node if you have another Asus router in Aimesh mode. AX89X will keep throwing error message in log and not doing anything and it will go into boot loop until you factory reset it.

I have been searching for a solution on the internet , I can tell you we are not the only one having reboot issue. Since this router is out of stock anywhere in the world except China, the only resources I can find about reboot issue are from China tech site.

This router is not for prime time, they need major work on firmware. I am not even sure if there is hardware design issue which cause the random reboot issue..which can't be fixed by firmware.

Going on four days now with no reboot. I have not experienced the problem you have when you log in and I log in every day. I don't use AiMesh.

Ten days now since mine rebooted on its own. Perhaps updating the firmware, doing a factory reset, and reloading the settings file is what fixed it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!