What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just got the AX89x for 30% off msrp. new box rev B1 made in 2021.

The 70mm fan has slight buzz in auto mode stays around 1800rpm, at open room temp of 28c. never got higher or lower.

Have not touched the 10Gbe or Aiprotect or Qos, but quick router performance check with 4 LAN (pc, external ssd, shieldtv, ps5) , 4 AX160, 1 AC80 and 2 N20 devices running, very stable.
The reported CPU temps never rose, maybe 1-2C, cant tell from their graphics. RAM stays around 40% used.
But i think the real measurement is each SOC temps of the antennas but those are not reportable.

CPU usage goes very heavy if i turn on QOS/Game mode. From google, the QCM NPU does the regular routing, turning QOS move the load to the CPU,

A suggestion to Asus is to have the temp reporting in same place as the system status.
For reasons, every settings change in AX89X takes 10-30s for savings. Not fun tweaking.

2 days on, i think this model is good over my old AC3100.
The 5ghz range is not as good as i hoped for. The 2.4ghz range to the 2 N20 is stronger than AC3100.

My social media app loads photos and media while scrolling, youtube hover view works, all while i ran the above concurrent streams to the router.
The AC3100 would not auto load or buffers when hit with such streams, made me upgrade.

AX89X still has UL/DL OFDMA + MUMIMO on 160mhz mode.
using wifiman app, it shows 1200/1200 ul and 1200/1200 dl on AX160 mode, and also a max phy of 7686mbps. Anything special to note here?
interesting because of QCM use of 8x8 80mhz, i think this is done through channels bonding? Because once i enabled 160mhz only, the number of channels available dropped. My AC80 device still connects even with 160mhz only.

I also get this reading from the AX89X for AX200, does it mean 4K-QAM is working?

rjMJQLp.png
Are you using QoS currently? If so do you ever try to connect to a game server your hosting or something from your LAN to your WAN ip and it doesn't work?

Btw ASUS's response to my QoS ticket now is

"This is not a router issue, this is related to the computer or device accessing the router. If user has verified a real time speed of 1GBps internet speed, no need to enable QoS."

So because I have 1 gig internet it's not a router problem. I simply shouldn't use QoS ^_^.. amazin

Are you using QoS currently? If so do you ever try to connect to a game server your hosting or something from your LAN to your WAN ip and it doesn't work?

Sorry i did not use Qos, i tried AX89X traditional Qos for awhile and noticed it worked the main CPU heavily, and i lost about 30mbps on speed tests.
It is whole lot better than my older routers, especially ISP ones where Qos halved peak speeds.

Hence i never use Qos all this while

I am not smarts with networking configs or heavy into gaming for best pings. I always leave such special features off or on defaults.

But if you can guide me what setup you did, i can test if a newer hw revision of AX89X may have it fixed.

Sorry i did not use Qos, i tried AX89X traditional Qos for awhile and noticed it worked the main CPU heavily, and i lost about 30mbps on speed tests.
It is whole lot better than my older routers, especially ISP ones where Qos halved peak speeds.

Hence i never use Qos all this while

I am not smarts with networking configs or heavy into gaming for best pings. I always leave such special features off or on defaults.

But if you can guide me what setup you did, i can test if a newer hw revision of AX89X may have it fixed.
If you have any games that you play that require a "host" then you have to connect to said game that you're hosting. Instead of using the lan ip use the wan ip+port that you forwarded so others can connect. Have QoS on and it won't connect.

Another easy way is to download http://nginx.org/en/download.html <- nginx run the exe which will host a webpage on port 80. Forward the port in your router under wan - virtualserver/port forwarding. Usually, this would be like port 80 tcp to the lan port of the computer Nginx is running to and then try to connect to it from the wan ip and port 80. Make sure after your done to remove the forward and stop nginx from running

Also if you are not comfortable with this it's 100% fine.. It's my issue and honestly, I regret buying a router from ASUS knowing Merlin didn't support it. That is my own fault frankly since basically my only experience with ASUS routers is with Merlin's supported firmware which frankly I don't understand why they don't back a truckload of cash up to their house since honestly Merlin's software tweaks really do make things a lot better. I'm starting to look at just building a PFSense box or something at this point.

Also, a follow up on my ticket with ASUS

ASUS has basically asserted again that is only my specific router that is having this issue and not a software bug. They refused to help anymore basically and say if I want it "fixed" to send the router back to them. My problem with that is I'm like 99.9% certain this is a software bug so it will be a complete waste of my time. As a hardware bug that is in the CPU would undoubtedly crash due to instability. My router has never rebooted unless I rebooted it myself. I've explained this to them and showed them numerous examples. I swear they aren't even talking to the backend networking people and claim they are "unable to replicate it" when I can literally replicate it incredibly quickly.

The 70mm fan has slight buzz in auto mode stays around 1800rpm, at open room temp of 28c. never got higher or lower.

Have not touched the 10Gbe or Aiprotect or Qos, but quick router performance check with 4 LAN (pc, external ssd, shieldtv, ps5) , 4 AX160, 1 AC80 and 2 N20 devices running, very stable.
The reported CPU temps never rose, maybe 1-2C, cant tell from their graphics. RAM stays around 40% used.
But i think the real measurement is each SOC temps of the antennas but those are not reportable.

CPU usage goes very heavy if i turn on QOS/Game mode. From google, the QCM NPU does the regular routing, turning QOS move the load to the CPU,

A suggestion to Asus is to have the temp reporting in same place as the system status.
For reasons, every settings change in AX89X takes 10-30s for savings. Not fun tweaking.

The 5ghz range is not as good as i hoped for. The 2.4ghz range to the 2 N20 is stronger than AC3100.

My social media app loads photos and media while scrolling, youtube hover view works, all while i ran the above concurrent streams to the router.
The AC3100 would not auto load or buffers when hit with such streams, made me upgrade.

using wifiman app, it shows 1200/1200 ul and 1200/1200 dl on AX160 mode, and also a max phy of 7686mbps. Anything special to note here?
interesting because of QCM use of 8x8 80mhz, i think this is done through channels bonding? Because once i enabled 160mhz only, the number of channels available dropped. My AC80 device still connects even with 160mhz only.

I also get this reading from the AX89X for AX200, does it mean 4K-QAM is working?

rjMJQLp.png
What site did you get the 30% off? I would like to add another AX89X to our existing system.

Thanks!

So I'm basically at the end of the road with ASUS support which is basically "send it in for replacement" which I'm not going to since it's a software issue. I even found a fork of asus-wrt called swrt that works on ax89x which actually fixes it but I didn't want to run it on my actual network because I was nervous of its origins. I honestly only trust the more mainline custom firmware like merlin, dd-wrt, openwrt, and such.

So anyone got any ideas how I can reach someone at ASUS who actually has the ability to

A. Validate my claim that QoS breaks certain things on this router
B. Willing to actually fix it?

Their support honestly doesn't seem like they actually talk to the network people. They just throw out random reasons hoping I'll just go away. I'm open to suggestions..

If you have any games that you play that require a "host" then you have to connect to said game that you're hosting. Instead of using the lan ip use the wan ip+port that you forwarded so others can connect. Have QoS on and it won't connect.

Another easy way is to download http://nginx.org/en/download.html <- nginx run the exe which will host a webpage on port 80. Forward the port in your router under wan - virtualserver/port forwarding. Usually, this would be like port 80 tcp to the lan port of the computer Nginx is running to and then try to connect to it from the wan ip and port 80. Make sure after your done to remove the forward and stop nginx from running

Also if you are not comfortable with this it's 100% fine.. It's my issue and honestly, I regret buying a router from ASUS knowing Merlin didn't support it. That is my own fault frankly since basically my only experience with ASUS routers is with Merlin's supported firmware which frankly I don't understand why they don't back a truckload of cash up to their house since honestly Merlin's software tweaks really do make things a lot better. I'm starting to look at just building a PFSense box or something at this point.

Also, a follow up on my ticket with ASUS

ASUS has basically asserted again that is only my specific router that is having this issue and not a software bug. They refused to help anymore basically and say if I want it "fixed" to send the router back to them. My problem with that is I'm like 99.9% certain this is a software bug so it will be a complete waste of my time. As a hardware bug that is in the CPU would undoubtedly crash due to instability. My router has never rebooted unless I rebooted it myself. I've explained this to them and showed them numerous examples. I swear they aren't even talking to the backend networking people and claim they are "unable to replicate it" when I can literally replicate it incredibly quickly.

sorry here i have to connect to my workplace, so im not comfortable with installing a 3rd party app and opening ports to it is outside me

i wonder if it can be replicate using windows sandbox mode for more safety?

sorry here i have to connect to my workplace, so im not comfortable with installing a 3rd party app and opening ports to it is outside me

i wonder if it can be replicate using windows sandbox mode for more safety?
Eh I'd not attempt it if you're not comfortable. Yes, you could do it with a sandbox but you'd still have to open a port for a few minutes to test.

So I'm basically at the end of the road with ASUS support which is basically "send it in for replacement" which I'm not going to since it's a software issue. I even found a fork of asus-wrt called swrt that works on ax89x which actually fixes it but I didn't want to run it on my actual network because I was nervous of its origins. I honestly only trust the more mainline custom firmware like merlin, dd-wrt, openwrt, and such.

So anyone got any ideas how I can reach someone at ASUS who actually has the ability to

A. Validate my claim that QoS breaks certain things on this router
B. Willing to actually fix it?

Their support honestly doesn't seem like they actually talk to the network people. They just throw out random reasons hoping I'll just go away. I'm open to suggestions..
Do you try a downgrade of Firmware? With the previos Firmware this problem of qoos not exist. This is the mayor probé that this is a Firmware issue and not hardware problem

Do you try a downgrade of Firmware? With the previos Firmware this problem of qoos not exist. This is the mayor probé that this is a Firmware issue and not hardware problem
I've used th past 3 firmware since I've had it and they all had the bug. I attempted to downgrade to ones before that and the router simply wouldn't boot any longer. Had to recovery mode to the last one that worked at a minimum. Is there a version you know of where it worked? I'm kinda scared to stay on old versions since so many security fixes have been issued.

I've used th past 3 firmware since I've had it and they all had the bug. I attempted to downgrade to ones before that and the router simply wouldn't boot any longer. Had to recovery mode to the last one that worked at a minimum. Is there a version you know of where it worked? I'm kinda scared to stay on old versions since so many security fixes have been issued.
with the last version i dont have problems with qoos. only with the latest. maybe you have a hardware problem :-O

with the last version i dont have problems with qoos. only with the latest. maybe you have a hardware problem :-O
So a couple of things.. When you enable QoS it uses the processor.
So if I do have a hardware problem that means it's a CPU problem which should indicate instability but my router has been stable for over 75 days now.
I tried a firmware yesterday called swrt and it worked as should on that one but since it's not a mainstream custom firmware I don't feel comfortable using it.

Your saying in version 3.0.0.4.386.45130 <- you can host things behind your router using FQDN's that point to your WAN IP - PORT and you have no problems using QoS? Should clarify.. You have no problem connecting to it from your lan that is..

Last edited:
i have some serices inside my local networkd (in a nas). with the latest version i use the wan domain and perfect. the qoos is active and no problems.
With this new version if the qoos is active, i cant acces any of my local resolurces by the ddns name in the local
if i disable de qoos, all works perfct again.

I fight in the pass with the asus support and the front office is terrible. i not open a isue with this because is disable the qoos and works again. if I open and isue they force me to a reset and im not have time to configure all again.

i have some serices inside my local networkd (in a nas). with the latest version i use the wan domain and perfect. the qoos is active and no problems.
With this new version if the qoos is active, i cant acces any of my local resolurces by the ddns name in the local
if i disable de qoos, all works perfct again.

I fight in the pass with the asus support and the front office is terrible. i not open a isue with this because is disable the qoos and works again. if I open and isue they force me to a reset and im not have time to configure all again.
Honestly though if you submit a ticket for the same problem they might start believing they have a software bug. If I could simply talk to one of their network engineers I'd gladly show them in a zoom meeting or something what is going on. They claim "they can't replicate" but I find they extremely hard to believe unless they aren't using an RT-AX89X to attempt the reproduction of the bug.

Should also say during my entire time with tickets with them they've never asked me to do a reset though I've done it a few times myself attempting to go through different firmware making sure it wasn't me doing something stupid.

sorry to ask, but you mean latest firmware affects all qos functions? or certain portion of it is problematic?

can we do elimination of which portion is not working now? sorry i am not a network person. but like to learn.

i do believe is a firmware bug, a broken cpu dont make sense, router probably wont route if so. some how networking items are extremely prone to firmware problems based off my old encounters

sorry to ask, but you mean latest firmware affects all qos functions? or certain portion of it is problematic?

can we do elimination of which portion is not working now? sorry i am not a network person. but like to learn.

i do believe is a firwmare bug, a broken cpu dont make sense, router probably wont route if so.

You host basically anything in your lan with a port forward.. Take a normal website on 443. SO 443 port forwards to 443 on a machine on your lan. You then have an Full Qualified Domain name or DDNS doesn't really matter. This is pointed to your WAN ip.

You turn on QoS and try to connect to the website from a machine on your LAN which would look like. LAN -> WAN(Port forwards) -> LAN(Website host). This will cause the website to basically never load. It actually does connect but say a website that takes 1 second to load will simply never finish loading.

You turn QoS off
Close the browser/open incognito to reset the connections and try again. Bam immediately works loads in a second.

Turn it on again
Slow again

And no it doesn't affect anything else. QoS appears to function properly besides this. I can actually see noticeable improvements when I'm on calls and other family members are using things like dropbox/wfh stuff with their work.

If you are outside the LAN(like a user on the internet connecting to the website you host) they are unaffected. I only noticed this because I host a few websites(private cloud) and I also host game servers. After I got this router I noticed I could no longer connect to my bitwarden instance, nextcloud, any of the pages I host, or my game servers(which I use FQDN so when I travel it just automatically knows without me having to enter a different ip). At first, I thought I had set something up wrong since this was a brand new router so I went back to my other ASUS router that had Merlin firmware on it. Bam worked like a charm then went to the AX89X failed again with QoS on.

You host basically anything in your lan with a port forward.. Take a normal website on 443. SO 443 port forwards to 443 on a machine on your lan. You then have an Full Qualified Domain name or DDNS doesn't really matter. This is pointed to your WAN ip.

You turn on QoS and try to connect to the website from a machine on your LAN which would look like. LAN -> WAN(Port forwards) -> LAN(Website host). This will cause the website to basically never load. It actually does connect but say a website that takes 1 second to load will simply never finish loading.

You turn QoS off
Close the browser/open incognito to reset the connections and try again. Bam immediately works loads in a second.

Turn it on again
Slow again

And no it doesn't affect anything else. QoS appears to function properly besides this. I can actually see noticeable improvements when I'm on calls and other family members are using things like dropbox/wfh stuff with their work.

If you are outside the LAN(like a user on the internet connecting to the website you host) they are unaffected. I only noticed this because I host a few websites(private cloud) and I also host game servers. After I got this router I noticed I could no longer connect to my bitwarden instance, nextcloud, any of the pages I host, or my game servers(which I use FQDN so when I travel it just automatically knows without me having to enter a different ip). At first, I thought I had set something up wrong since this was a brand new router so I went back to my other ASUS router that had Merlin firmware on it. Bam worked like a charm then went to the AX89X failed again with QoS on.

that is pretty impressive network setup and outside me knowhow

but can i say in layman, you are doing a round trip using a LAN device to access another LAN device via the WAN internet?

Is it the same as using Asus router app to do remote management of AX89X via the AX89X wifi broadcast? Can you do remote management as such still?

Do you think shifting the priority around your LAN devices helps? I think that is Qos right? The new firmware somewhat gets confused doing Qos backforth on devices connected in the same LAN.

Honestly though if you submit a ticket for the same problem they might start believing they have a software bug. If I could simply talk to one of their network engineers I'd gladly show them in a zoom meeting or something what is going on. They claim "they can't replicate" but I find they extremely hard to believe unless they aren't using an RT-AX89X to attempt the reproduction of the bug.

Should also say during my entire time with tickets with them they've never asked me to do a reset though I've done it a few times myself attempting to go through different firmware making sure it wasn't me doing something stupid.
How fast is your Internet? I stopped using QoS when mine went over 512Mbps as it's just not helpful when your Internet connection can handle all of the traffic without bogging down.

This article is centered on VoIP but the principles apply:

"QoS is generally not necessary when you have a high-speed broadband connection that has enough bandwidth for all of your applications at once."

Do you not have enough bandwidth for all your typical simultaneous usage?

Last edited:

rjMJQLp.png
Do you know the differences between the revisions?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!