What's new

RT-AX92U add a node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dorlow

New Around Here
Does anyone know of a wireless repeater I can buy to add to the mesh of this system? I'd like for it to be more like a repeater where it's a small box that plugs into an outlet and the box is on the outlet. I'd be putting this behind our tv on the wall and do not want any wires showing.

We've been having issues for a long time with streaming tv using a firetv stick. The only time we have issues is when streaming live tv using the firetv recast. The recast is hard wired into the router, but the fire stick is wireless. But the issue is every few minutes, the picture freezes and there are 3 dots in the center of the screen scrolling left to right. I've tested to see if it's an issue with the recording or with the fire stick by rewinding it pass the 3 dots to see if it does it again in the same spot and it doesn't. So, it seems to tell me there's a wireless issue to the fire stick. I ordered an Ethernet adapter for the fire stick. But, getting a hard wire from the tv to the router would require me ripping up all the walls (which I've considered). But I think my wife would kill me if I ripped apart the downstairs to fix this. It would probably be cheaper to pay for cable. So, I'm hoping to find something I can add to the wireless mesh to allow me to plug Ethernet from the repeater to the firetv stick. Also, I'm wondering if it's connected between the router and repeater via wifi 6 it that would help the issue or eliminate interference.

I'm also going to try using powerline adapters from the router to the tv. But, in my experience, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't connect. If the powerline adapters can't get a good signal between the outlet next to the router and the outlet behind the tv, that won't work and I can't move to a different outlet.

What is the floor plan between the AX92 and the Fire stick? Is it line of sight or are there walls. If so, how many and what is composition? What is the signal strength to the fire stick and the live TX RX rates?

In my experience, moving the AX92 around can improve a weak connection enough to resolve these kind of issues. This may require running your Recast wireless to the AX92. Think out of the box on location.

Worst case buy another AX92 and run AiMesh.

It's line of sight. Where can I buy one ax92? They're sold in pairs for at least $400. Also, I'd rather not use an AX92 because it's big. My tv is over the mantle. I love that when I look at the tv, unlike most that have rats nests of wires showing or wires draping off the mantle, when I put it up, I made sure not one wire is visible around the tv. Now it's not too hard these days because most programming is internet based. Only small challenge I had was power. I had to make one hole where I had to patch so I could put a 110 outlet behind the tv. But, it's patched and painted now so no wires are visible.

Granted I guess I could hang the ax92 on the wall behind the tv. Just need to know where to buy one.

Forget it. I searched yesterday and only found the 2 pack. I found it sold singlarly today. But it still would be nicer if it was more or an ap format where it's a small box plugging into the outlet and the repeater is on the wall... So I don't need to hide it.

Hmmmm, if you are line of sight I don’t think adding more complexity will resolve your issue. I would be looking at the router logs for anything happening at the time you have an issue.
Otherwise you may be better getting a new Fire stick. Really guessing at this point.

So, the Ethernet adapter delivered today. I tried to hook it up with the powerline adapters and it wouldn't make a connection. So, I put a range extender behind the tv that has an Ethernet port so now the firetv stick is connected to the extender via Ethernet. So far, it hasn't messed up yet.

IMHO, looks like a bad WiFi chip in the fire stick. Glad you found a work around. Electronics do fail in strange ways.

I tried the powerline adapters again. Before I had them in surge protectors. I moved them to be directly plugged into an outlet and the powerline adapters are working now. So we'll see how this works.