What's new

RT-AX92U how to enable JFFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brchan

New Around Here
I have a single RT-AX92U in wireless router mode running latest 386_45934. I want to customize the dnsmasq.conf to advertise more than one DNS server (my primary and backup pihole). But I don't see any options to enable JFFS in the GUI similar to many articles online or like my old N66U with marlin fw. At the risk of doing something dumb, I wanted to check here to confirm if I can manually enable JFFS as detailed in the DD-WRT page.

I have a usb drive plugged in and want to mount that as the JFFS as detailed in section 3.2.

AX92U runs Asuswrt, not DD-WRT. What you read there doesn't apply to your router. No Asuswrt-Merlin support for AX92U either.

AX92U runs Asuswrt, not DD-WRT. What you read there doesn't apply to your router. No Asuswrt-Merlin support for AX92U either.
Thanks for that. I guess it's wishful thinking on my part that "WRT" might imply inheritance from DD-WRT. But I see now that Asuswrt came from Tomato and that came from Hyperwrt...

My memory is hazy here, but did asuswrt ever allow custom JFFS in the official firmware or was it always with merlin?

Thanks for that. I guess it's wishful thinking on my part that "WRT" might imply inheritance from DD-WRT. But I see now that Asuswrt came from Tomato and that came from Hyperwrt...

My memory is hazy here, but did asuswrt ever allow custom JFFS in the official firmware or was it always with merlin?
All Asus routers I have owned have had a /jffs directory. You can access it by enabling SSH on the router. Yes, it is possible to run scripts on Asus firmware. the trick is to use a USB drive, which mounts on router boot, and add the appropriate NVRAM command to trigger the script on USB detect. I have run swap files and even Entware and Stubby on Asus firmware. Somewhere in this forum is my write up to do swap file. It is old and may need additional tweaks for your newer router.

I want to customize the dnsmasq.conf ...
Even if you manage to run a script using the method above it's unlikely you'll be able to modify dnsmasq.conf in a reliable way (or at all) without extensive effort.

All Asus routers I have owned have had a /jffs directory. You can access it by enabling SSH on the router. Yes, it is possible to run scripts on Asus firmware. the trick is to use a USB drive, which mounts on router boot, and add the appropriate NVRAM command to trigger the script on USB detect. I have run swap files and even Entware and Stubby on Asus firmware. Somewhere in this forum is my write up to do swap file. It is old and may need additional tweaks for your newer router.
Thanks for the hint. I think I found your earlier posts: here, here and here

I'll definitely give that a shot.

Even if you manage to run a script using the method above it's unlikely you'll be able to modify dnsmasq.conf in a reliable way (or at all) without extensive effort.
hmm... is it because of the timing issues when scripts get called during startup?

hmm... is it because of the timing issues when scripts get called during startup?
Exactly. The only "event" available in stock firmware is the USB device coming online. That is unrelated to dnsmasq's activity where each time there is change of state of the WAN interface the dnsmasq config file is regenerated and the service restarted.

Exactly. The only "event" available in stock firmware is the USB device coming online. That is unrelated to dnsmasq's activity where each time there is change of state of the WAN interface the dnsmasq config file is regenerated and the service restarted.
Okay, so it seems like even if I can have a script I have no simple way to know when to apply changes. And the round about way would be to routinely scan the dnsmasq config for changes so it can be patched?

Overall, the asuswrt UI has worked well for me and I was not wanting to use pihole for DHCP since I would have to sync the settings between two pihole. The other option for me would be use my old N66U for router and put the AX92U in AP mode and have to deal with other issues like how to assign a different subnet to guest network if the router and AP are separate.

Okay, so it seems like even if I can have a script I have no simple way to know when to apply changes. And the round about way would be to routinely scan the dnsmasq config for changes so it can be patched?
There are probably a number of "creative" approaches you could use. You just need to be aware of the limitations of whichever method you choose. My point was that unlike in Merlin's firmware there's no preexisting user hook available.

The simplest approach might be for your USB script to wait 5 minutes before doing anything on the assumption that everything would have settled down by then. If your router is normally stable and you're not making changes in the GUI you might be OK for the most part.