What's new

RT-AX92u Slow WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dilbert

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I wonder if you could help with a problem I'm having.

I bought a couple of AX92U routers around Christmas and set them up in an AiMesh configuration.

Apart from the disappointment of finding out that the AX bit was only being used for the backhaul, they have worked perfectly until a few days ago.

I have a 550Mbit internet connection and was achieving between 400 and 500Mbit all over the house but last week this dropped to 20-30Mbit on any device and in any location. Sometimes it struggles to achieve 1Mbit. Uploads too are limited to around 10% of what they were managing before. Wired connections to the router hit 550mbit without fail.

I've done factory resets on both and tried different firmwares (I assumed the 30 March update had possibly killed something) but it's still the same.

I have separate SSIDs for 5ghz and 2.4ghz but both are struggling. I've changed nothing in the settings and they are on channels that seem clear of interference.

As you can probably tell, I'm far from an expert but I hope you kind people can suggest something that may fix the issues I'm having.

Many thanks in advance.

Might be worth posting screenshots of your WiFi settings, the basic and advanced pages. Can make suggestions from there.

For example if the width is set to 20/40/80/160 , the routers always default to 20mhz which gives me horrific throughput.

Might be worth posting screenshots of your WiFi settings, the basic and advanced pages. Can make suggestions from there.

For example if the width is set to 20/40/80/160 , the routers always default to 20mhz which gives me horrific throughput.

Great, thanks! I have tried with and without 160mhz enabled - no difference :(

I've attached screenshots of the 5ghz wifi settings (at least I hope I have, I don't seem to be able to post full res images). Hopefully someone can spot something.

Thanks again.

5ghz Gen.jpg
5ghz Pro.jpg
5ghzAX Gen.jpg
5ghzAX Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, I can see them

Yeah, if you copy my settings from my thread, then can tweak to optimise for an rt-ax92u specific settings later, ie 5ghz-1 is only AC, so my settings won't fully apply to it, but should get you in the ballpark.

Well, I managed to fix it - and it wasn't what I expected.

I have a couple of smart plugs in the office that I use with Alexa to switch the computer equipment and lights on and off.

When I unplug them, the speed goes back to normal! If anyone else has a similar problem, probably something to bear in mind!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!