What's new

RT-AX92u - Stable firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leerees

Clearly, Asus has messed up 3.0.0.4.386_41535

Can someone confirm what version is the most stable? I don't need ethernet backhaul or AX for clients.

If we can list the known issues with each firmware then people can make an informed choice over what firmware to install based on their needs.

I'll start off:

3.0.0.4.386_41535
Crashes multiple times per day, all clients get disconnected and router reboots.

Last edited:
I'm using 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c. It was released sometime Oct. 2020. It's been stable for me. No issues. I have Traffic Analizer and AI Protection enabled.

I'm using 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c. It was released sometime Oct. 2020. It's been stable for me. No issues. I have Traffic Analizer and AI Protection enabled.

I've downgraded to this firmware and done a hard reset.

Everything is on default apart from changing the SSID and setting SIP passthrough to false.

Update to follow

Last edited:
Hello,

Very Interesting post, I've also downgraded to this firmware ( 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c ) and done a hard reset (with WPS button).
Yesterday the router reboot with no reason.
I've multiple kernel error like here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax92u-issue.66110/#post-633795 :

Code:
Jan 11 12:59:48 kernel: wl0: random key value: 736AF814DA4286613D7F008800B5EFEF45DF1A741BBB0718F06F4FB9158FB9D5
Jan 11 12:59:49 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Disassoc 48:26:2C:6E:XX status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jan 11 12:59:49 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Disassoc 48:26:2C:6E:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)

And a big problem, the160mhz bandwidth don't work ...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my router crashed on 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c . It lasted a total of 30 hours. Not sure where to go from here, down to 384 but which one is the most stable?

I'm seeing lots of these in the logs:
kernel: wl1: random key value:

Does anybody know what they mean?

Last edited:
I actually got a response from Asus support. Unfortunately it wasn't any help

Dear Sir/MAdam

After a firmware update, please factory reset the device – you can do so by pressing the button on the back of the device for approximately 5-10 seconds. Afterwards, please reconfigure the router manually – as loading a .cfg or saved configuration file might replicate the same issues.

Kind Regards,
Peter S.

ASUS UK Support team
Email: https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm?lang=en-uk

Asus Customer Service
Asus Technical Support Site: http://support.asus.com
By sending emails to ASUS, you agree that ASUS may collect your email address, name of email account and
other information included in your emails to ASUS to fulfill your request for customer support service, and also agree to the “ASUS Privacy Policy”.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 2021-01-07 16:27:52.0
CC:
Subject:
RT-ax92u

Dear Support:

RE: RTAX-92u

Operation Mode:Wireless router Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_41535

We have an issue with this router crashing multiple times per day. It started after upgrading the firmware. We performed a factory reset and setup the router with all settings left on default.

I've downgraded again to 3.0.0.4.384_9177-gbe0ac36

Day 2...

I've noticed faster 5Ghz on the node with this build. Standing near the node round 600mbps.

No crashes so far. I performed a scheduled reboot this morning. The router has stopped warning me about new firmware being available.

Jan 13 05:18:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6388)]retrieve firmware information
Jan 13 05:18:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6405)]no need to upgrade firmware

I'll now leave it and see if there are any crashes. As before, everything is on default except SIPPASSTHROUGH = Disabled.

Last edited:
I've been using 386.40451 since it came out. I didn't have any issues with it when I run router/AP. When I switched to AI Mesh to try out the new guest network features, I noticed various crashes. I put it back into router/AP and I haven't had any issues.

I've been using 386.40451 since it came out. I didn't have any issues with it when I run router/AP. When I switched to AI Mesh to try out the new guest network features, I noticed various crashes. I put it back into router/AP and I haven't had any issues.

That's good to know and will most likely help some. Unfortunately for me, I need the seamless roaming feature which is part of the AI Mesh.

Whilst build 384 works, browsing is slow and wifi calling is really bad, even with sippassthrough disabled.

Last edited:
I have exact the same issue... Running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_41535 and the router drops the network from time to time.... but sometimes only on 5Ghz band
I have 10 devices on 5Ghz and 12 on 2.4Ghz

I have a ping running to every device on each band, and its clearly to see when network is dropping out.

First Row 2.4Ghz -------------- 2.nd Row 5.1Ghz --------------- 3.rd Row 5.2Ghz
1611152565447.png

Ps. Im running 2 x RT-AX92u in a Mesh network, connected by cable.

BTW. Another issue with this "RT-AX92u" is the list of clients shown in "AiMesh" Menu. Its not showing correct.
Sometimes clients ARE online, but are shown as offline, and vice versa.

I'm SO tiered of this router that im prepared to return it to the shop. (only had it 2 months, so its no problem returning it.... )

Last edited:
Here again ... but only 5.2Ghz Network dropping out

--First Row 2.4Ghz ---- 2.nd Row 5.1Ghz ------ 3.rd Row 5.2Ghz
1611153268309.png

Here again ... but only 5.2Ghz Network dropping out

--First Row 2.4Ghz ---- 2.nd Row 5.1Ghz ------ 3.rd Row 5.2Ghz
View attachment 29702

Your issues are all related to the firmware you have, you need to downgrade to :3.0.0.4.384_9177

I'm SO tiered of this router that im prepared to return it to the shop. (only had it 2 months, so its no problem returning it.... )

It's incredibly frustrating that Asus are not addressing the issues or pulling the 386 firmware from the AX92u website. However, I believe returning it would be a mistake. The current mesh solutions by other providers are not as good as the AX92u. Dropping down to 384 firmware will make browsing a little bit slower. However, you will no longer see ping spikes; router crashes or WiFi dropouts.

With regards to slow browsing, for me personally it's not an issue but some Iphone users on our network have complained about delays of a few seconds on snap chat and various apps. It doesn't effect online gaming or download / upload speeds so I'm lead to believe it's to do with the router not storing our DNS settings (Quad9). A lot of social networking sites / apps have lots of URL's in their code so that's where a slow DNS is most noticable.

Last edited:
I have exact the same issue... Running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_41535 and the router drops the network from time to time.... but sometimes only on 5Ghz band
I have 10 devices on 5Ghz and 12 on 2.4Ghz

I have a ping running to every device on each band, and its clearly to see when network is dropping out.

First Row 2.4Ghz -------------- 2.nd Row 5.1Ghz --------------- 3.rd Row 5.2Ghz
View attachment 29701

Ps. Im running 2 x RT-AX92u in a Mesh network, connected by cable.

BTW. Another issue with this "RT-AX92u" is the list of clients shown in "AiMesh" Menu. Its not showing correct.
Sometimes clients ARE online, but are shown as offline, and vice versa.

The firmware you're using has been remove by ASUS. It appears they mistakenly put it out. There's quite a bit of discussion about it here:

So, you need to downgrade your firmware.

As leerees stated, if you use AI Mesh, your best bet is to downgrade back to 91777. If you use Router/AP Mode, you can flash back to 91777 and then upgrade to 40451. 40451 is stable under AP Mode but it has disconnects under AI Mesh.

Cool ...thanks for the advice guys
I'm way better off dumping this lousy router .... But I don't do anything half :cool:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!