What's new

RT-AX92U unable to block internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Izze

Occasional Visitor
Hi! I have exactly the same issue as in the below thread...unable to block internet to clients....but i cannot find any newer firmware for my RT-AX92U that could fix it?
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.9177

Works fine on my AX92U.

Some Android apps will appear to still work but you are seeing cached data, clearing cache or calling a new URL in a browser shows that there is no connection.

Works fine on my AX92U.

Some Android apps will appear to still work but you are seeing cached data, clearing cache or calling a new URL in a browser shows that there is no connection.
Hi AndreiV and good to know that it should work! I'm thinking of doing a factory reset, update and set it up again and see if it resolves the issue.
Thanks!

Hi AndreiV and good to know that it should work! I'm thinking of doing a factory reset, update and set it up again and see if it resolves the issue.
Thanks!

If you updated manually,the release notes for the latest firmware did state you needed to reset the router.

If you updated manually,the release notes for the latest firmware did state you needed to reset the router.

AndreiV, thanks! Did a factory reset but still the same issue. Blocking clients works fine if i only connect a few clients ....but i have +25 clients and somewhere the blocking feature stops working :-/
I did send feedback to ASUS via the web-interface...but no feedback so far.

@Izze after the factory reset, did you import a saved config file? If you did, you negated the beneficial aspects of the reset. :)

See the links in the last couple of paragraphs in the link above for the M&M Config guide for further info.

@Izze after the factory reset, did you import a saved config file? If you did, you negated the beneficial aspects of the reset. :)

See the links in the last couple of paragraphs in the link above for the M&M Config guide for further info.
Thanks for asking!
Well after the first factory reset i did create a "test SSID" where i added a few clients....everything was working fine where i could block clients.
I did then change back to the 'original SSID' and then i got +25 clients on Wifi....then the blocking feature stopped working.
In the above i did not import the saved configuration and i did not have any wired Ethernet connected.

Sounds like you need a new main SSID (possibly)? :)

Sounds like you need a new main SSID (possibly)? :)
Yes, i might take that route...but it will take some time to update all clients connecting SSID that might fix the issue. Still a bit strange if the choice of SSID will decide if the blocking feature should work or not?

No, not strange at all. The client devices hold microcode along with the SSID about the router/network they're connected to. If you suddenly upgrade your router/network up a few WiFi standards but keep the same SSID, it is easy to see how things can be wonky, (even if I can't explain it in more detail for you).

No, not strange at all. The client devices hold microcode along with the SSID about the router/network they're connected to. If you suddenly upgrade your router/network up a few WiFi standards but keep the same SSID, it is easy to see how things can be wonky, (even if I can't explain it in more detail for you).
Ok thanks for the feedback and I did it, factory reset, latest firmware, new SSID (updated 38 wifi clients, ipads, android phones, Google assistant speakers, shelly and sonoff switches etc)....but still no luck. Not possible to block Wifi clients. I'm considering to put my old Lyra as router (working parental mode) with disabled Wifi and use AX92 in AP mode....

Did you use a saved config file to restore from? Did you 'blindly' use the old settings you had previously? If you did, there is something else going on in your network as others don't have this issue.

If you know that the old Lyra has a working parental mode, then that is a workaround for now. But I would be pursuing why the RT-AX92 isn't doing what it's supposed to.

Thanks!
I did a clean install not using any saved configuration. Entered all settings 'by hand'.
All clients were rebooted with new SSID so not sure what else to do at the moment. Still good to know that it is working for others so it must be something peculiar with my setup...?

.....and BTW i did see that the blocking was working when i only had a few clients connected. However somewhere when i added more it stopped working.

That's a good clue then! How many clients in total?

Add them one by one until you find the one that breaks things.

If that is 40 clients on WiFi and on a single radio, that is most likely the issue. Most consumer routers start choking around 30-32 clients per radio.

Well it is 40 (6 wired) clients on two AX92 in mesh. I.e. ~20 per each AX92

The CPUs run on only a couple of %, memory is running low though...not sure if it is related to my issues.

It was working fine on my old Lyra and thought the powerful AX92 should be able to handle it as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200823-084232_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-084232_ASUS Router.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20200823-084407_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-084407_ASUS Router.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 111
In the screenshots, it doesn't look like RAM is an issue.

It could be that the RT-AX92 is having an issue with one or more of your clients and/or it's limits, are lower than other consumer routers?

I would not be 'managing' the router via an app though. I would be using a computer and browser to do so.

Hi! FYI, I'm now using my old Lyra as a router (radio off) and hook up the AX92 ( wifi mesh to second AX92) in AP mode. Now everything works fine and i can block clients as expected and use the parental mode again.
There is something with my clients that the AX92 router do not like. Hope a future FW will fix it.
A bit odd that my old and much simpler less powerful router works better than the AX92. Anyhow i now have a working setup and thanks for the input, ideas!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!