What's new

RT-N 66 power supply vs. Viasat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wh7qq

I was getting increasingly irked with my internet connection which had become intermittent with frequent (several per day) short term failures despite clear skies but resisted calling the frustrating customer service (front line script readers) and costly CS response to this remote location. Web interface information for router and satellite modem were nominal save for the outages.

So I started changing things out...first replaced the satellite power brick to no avail then the router power brick. I have now gone nearly 8 days (fingers crossed) with no failures and I am not sure that it was a power failure or Viasat's flakey provision. Seems pretty coincidental for it to be Viasat's fault but it illustrates two things. One is that the power supply. if getting marginal, is a frequent source of weird router behavior; the other that making changes, even when briefly separated, can confound the diagnosis. This RT-N 66 has been in continuous service for roughly 6 years 24/7 so the power brick capacitors might well be getting weak. Same for the satellite setup. I was fortunate to have replacements on hand...used units taken out of service for other reasons.

Final comment is that the '66 shares the power brick with several other Asus models, in this case the RT-N 56...same specs and form factor. Lucky me.