What's new

[RT-N66U] Power brick blinking, other oddities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goodluckduck

New Around Here
I experienced the same problem as described in this post.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7507

It started after I upgraded firmware, I think I upgraded to stock 3.0.0.4.374.5517, but I'm not sure what the previous version was.

After the upgrade, I saw no lights on the router, only the power brick led blinking. It would stop blinking after switching the router off.

After chatting with the ASUS support, I sent the entire unit and power brick off RMA. They would not send me a second brick to verify it was the power supply or not. The serviced unit was returned a few days ago with the latest firmware loaded, 3.0.0.4.376.2524. Everything seemed to work fine for a few days.

Last night, my laptop or PS3 were not able to associate with router via Wifi. However my Android phone was connected. After triple-checking the settings and the WPA password, and making my laptop learn about the Wifi from scratch, I decided to clear the nvram on the router and attempt to reconfigure it from scratch. Clearing to defaults is recommended for troubleshooting wireless problems in the sticky thread. So I held the WPS button down while powering the unit on. Maybe I should have tried the reset button method first, but... The unit booted up, and I noticed my desktop (which is connected via a Ethernet cable) was able to access the admin web page, but the router started cyclically rebooting.

I powered the unit off figuring maybe it was a heat issue that was making it act weird, and I also unplugged the ethernet cables at this point. A few minutes later I powered the router on again and now the power brick has begun blinking again, with no lights on the router. Exactly the same place I started.

I am considering getting a second-hand power supply to verify this wonky behavior is not a consequence of a bad power source. Hopefully a component on the board has not been destroyed.

I would appreciate any tips, and recommendations for a second power supply.

Has anybody experiencing the blinking power supply found that a replacement fixed the problem?
Could it be a software problem?
Could it be a heat problem? I plan to take the cover off and make sure the heat sinks are making contact.

Thanks,
GLD

Hi,
Is the router same one or replaced one? Maybe some thing bad inside the router is causing
power adapter fault. Don't smell any thing around router?

The router I received back has a different S/N on the sticker than the one I sent. I don't know if they put a different sticker on it.

I am using the third-party power supply and so far everything seems to be working. I will keep using it a few days and report back.