What's new

RT-N56U to EA6900 twice internet dl speed, why? SOLVED..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

floydo

Occasional Visitor
See post 7 for solution...
Replaced my older RT-N56 with a newer Linksys 1900AC router, and wired or wireless comcast speedtest download speed went from ~26Mb to 59Mb!
Settings were automatic with the provider on both....same Moto SB6141 modem.
I don't believe I rebooted the modem when installing the new router, and the router/modem were rebooted a month ago...but it may be possible and there was some no-cost comcast magic, but I seriously doubt it. Plan is 25Mb. Asus firmware is current.
The wiring is just complicated enough mechanically I am not motivated to reattach the older router to confirm....

Any explanation? I don't expect the internet side to be technologically different at those speeds.....

They both transfer wired internally at similar speeds >100Mbps...Naturally wireless is faster on new ac laptops.....

Very nicely surprising....

Thx

Last edited:
Not sure why you are getting better hardlined speeds. Maybe your ethernet port on the old router was not working properly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Not sure why you are getting better hardlined speeds. Maybe your ethernet port on the old router was not working properly.
Appreciate the comment, have looked again at if there at configuration possibilities for the WAN ethernet port...I did try changing the DNS servers identified on the Asus (comcast old setup), but didn't make a change in speed to the Linksys....

DNS shouldn't change speed unless you are specifically trying to resolve a domain name or domain record.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Replaced my older RT-N56 with a newer Linksys 1900AC router, and wired or wireless comcast speedtest download speed went from ~26Mb to 59Mb!
Settings were automatic with the provider on both....same Moto SB6141 modem.
I don't believe I rebooted the modem when installing the new router, and the router/modem were rebooted a month ago...but it may be possible and there was some no-cost comcast magic, but I seriously doubt it. Plan is 25Mb. Asus firmware is current.
The wiring is just complicated enough mechanically I am not motivated to reattach the older router to confirm....

Any explanation? I don't expect the internet side to be technologically different at those speeds.....

They both transfer wired internally at similar speeds >100Mbps...Naturally wireless is faster on new ac laptops.....

Very nicely surprising....

Thx

If Comcast is doing what TimeWarner Cable (my ISP)... they just finished in my area the conversion to full DOCSIS 3 support. My speed recently went from 50/5Mbps to 110/12Mbps.
I ordered this a year ago ("Ultimate" tier), as a part of the TV/Phone/Internet bundle. But here, they were late in doing their system upgrade. So I get/got a credit each month (that I demanded).
I suppose now, TimeWarner Cable, ever more the artist at deception, will eliminate the credit.

When I first signed up with Comcast I had 25meg service then they announced they were doubling certain speed tiers for free. My service was upgraded to 60meg service at no charge.

Update -SOLVED!!

Went back and hooked up the RT-N56U, updated to that firmware again....Same results...Half Download of the Linksys EA9600AC...

Reset router to factory defaults (FACTORY RESET), bang double download speed! Modified all LAN and WAN settings to old configuration and still at faster speed. Some hidden gremlin in the settings caused WAN slowdown...but not visible to me.....

Very odd, but glad to have made the change to the new router, as it allowed faster speeds that I didn't know I had....suggests those with older (at least this Asus) routers may want to consider a factory reset if they are suspicious of speed, but who would know.....
Thx for the comments!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!