What's new

RT-N66U High Outbound Internet Traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkeconomist

New Around Here
I have an RT-N66U running fw 3.0.0.4.376_1071

Recently I noted a very high, almost 1:1 inbound:eek:utbound, outbound traffic level on the WAN when I am wired to the LAN--ps3, 360, desktop, it happens to all wired traffic. This does not occur when I'm connected wirelessly. And the outgoing traffic doesn't show up on the LAN, 2.4, or 5ghz counters. All of this you can see in the images below.

I'm not running any download programs on the router, or at all for that matter.

So far, I haven't been able to independently measure WAN traffic,and my ISP provides no granularity in its monthly count.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Screenshot - RTN66U - WAN traffic.jpg

Screenshot - RTN66U - LAN traffic.jpg

Screenshot - RTN66U - 24ghz traffic.jpg

Screenshot - RTN66U - 5ghz traffic.jpg

Last edited:
Are you running Download Master or any other file sharing program on the router itself?

Sleeping device silently updating, such as an Xbox One?

Sleeping device silently updating, such as an Xbox One?

I don't see how that would explain the symptoms I described. My RT is showing high outbound WAN traffic, absolutely and relative to inbound (~1:1). And the outgoing traffic isn't showing up on the WLANs or LAN. The traffic is showing up on the inbound LAN, as I would expect.

There is a bug in the firmware that causes "outgoing" traffic to actually display the inbound and outbound traffic added together.

For example, if you were actually downloading at 100KB/sec and uploading at 50KB/sec, the traffic monitor on the router page will say 100KB/sec download and 150KB/sec upload.

Similar issue here with RT-N66R running 3.0.0.4.376_1071:

I do a big (~90GB) wireless (2.4GHz) backup of my wife's lappy to our wired NAS every Monday morning. The traffic shows up as incoming on Wireless (as it should), outgoing on Wired (as it should), and outgoing on Internet (as it shouldn't).

I about died when I looked at the daily usage and thought I'd transmitted 525GB of data to the internet in the past 30 days. :eek:

Unfortunately, I'm still facing the same issue, even at fw 3.0.0.4.376_2524

For instance, my last 24 hours show 2.80 GB in, 2.26 GB out on the WAN. I believe the inbound, streaming being what it is, but the outbound makes no sense and still doesn't show up anywhere.

I'd love to have a fix to true up my traffic count.