What's new

RT-N66U randomly dropping wifi despite trying older version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stretch

Occasional Visitor
I was running my N66U on merlin 380.57_0 but found it would randomly drop my wifi after some research I read some people are havin an issue with this verison due to drivers? I downgraded to 378.56_2 and have been experiencing the same problem it's not limited to a specific device but either of 3 mobile phones, smart tv etc. I've tried changing channels setting 2.4 to 20mhz only etc but doesn't improve.

When I went from factory to merlin i did reset to defaults and did the same after I downgraded merlin. Can anyone help with this issue?

Last edited:
Have you used a pc/mobile app to monitor your airwaves and manually select the best channel?

I was running my N66U on merlin 380.57_0 but found it would randomly drop my wifi after some research I read some people are havin an issue with this verison due to drivers?
I wouldn't call it a driver issue but it seems more and more threads are started regarding 66 devices with 380 firmwares. If it's a conspiracy then I'm not part of it.
I downgraded to 378.56_2 and have been experiencing the same problem it's not limited to a specific device but either of 3 mobile phones, smart tv etc. I've tried changing channels setting 2.4 to 20mhz only etc but doesn't improve.
TBH, "dropping WiFi" does not give me a clear picture of the problem you're facing. Could you come up with more details regarding what you have tried, what you observe, and what you mean by "dropping WiFi" -- do clients disconnect from the network, or do connections drop while the clients still think they're connected; does it happen at certain times for all clients or just for a single one, etc.
i've tried both auto and manual channels located via android app.
Again, please provide more information. If you see a foreign strong WiFi on 2.4 GHz channel 6 and think you're safe on channel 7 with 20 MHz width then that may already be the problem.

Clearly, more information about your environment (kind of building, wall type, distance to clients, Tx power setting, number of other WiFi networks) will probably also get you more valuable answers.

The N66 wifi driver for the 380 firmware is the same as many previous, you have to go to John's fork for the older less restricted version I believe

Code:
Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

I too have had issues with the 380 version on a N66R. Three lockups in six weeks. Connections through the router just stopped! Had to do a fw restore the first time. Last time I went back a version and also cleaned jffs. For the 2.4 I work best on 20 mhz on channel 1,6 or 11

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk