What's new

RT-N66u USB ext3 no write permission

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pncu

Occasional Visitor
I have a Rt-n66u that is running on Merlin's firmware.

I've been using a 2tb seagate goflex drive formatted to ntfs connected to the usb slot as my NAS which was decent.

I wanted to install Transmission on it so I could dl stuff overnight with comp turned off but Transmission/Optware/entware requires EXT2/EXT3 to install.

So I moved all my files then formatted to EXT3 using gparted and moved all my files back which took forever.

Now, I plug it back into the router and it is connecting ok BUT I have no write permission.
I can read any file from it I want, but no matter what I do, I can't write anything onto the drive. It keeps saying I do not have permission to do it.

I removed the drive and plugged it directly into my windows 7 laptop and i can write to it just fine using ext2volumemanager. I plugged it into 2 other computers in the house and I can write to it.
Its just when it is plugged into the router, I can't write to it.

Any ideas?

Not much expertise... but is there a utility in the router itself to partition/format, rather than doing so on a computer? Maybe with a GUI? I'd think there would be, for the average joe to reformat a drive for use on the router. Or maybe the router scripts automate this if the drive is formatted FAT or NTFS.

tangent: Does ext2volumemanager and extfsd run in 64 bit Windows 7? Last revision was summer of 2011 and the readme files weren't clear on this.

the one i'm using is 32bit.

Thanks for your input.
I reformatted and its partly working. Some folders I can write into some folders I can't.

I'll figure it out later I guess.