What's new

Rtac86u Ethernet ports slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus CPU usage basically non existent. IPv6 turned off on the ISP router/modem. Also did a factory reset on the asus as requested by asus.

Nothing. Still not full ethernet speed.

And what of the 'Status' screen that shows the physical port speed? What are the speeds indicated?

Were you able to use a different device attached to the Ethernet of the ASUS?

Shows 1gbps
Using your Surface? If so, was the Surface connected to WiFi as well?

Since the Surface is a corporate PC, there is no way to determine how they have modified Windows. This is why another, non-corporate, device really should be used for troubleshooting.

I have the same issues. Wireless is faster then wired. I have Comcast and the xb6 connected into the 86U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issues. Wireless is faster then wired. I have Comcast and the xb6 connected into the 86U

Darcy: No, you have a similar issue. Just saying 'me to' will not resolve your issue.

Comcast XB6 (Arris) cable modem/gateway/router -------- Ethernet -------- ASUS

If you would like troubleshooting assistance, please review all of my previous posts in this discussion and provide the information that I requested of the owner of this post. The more detailed the information the better.

Lets see if I can possibly answer every question in the entire thread[emoji58]. Hooked directly to the modem into the computer or computer to router to modem yield the same results. I’m on Comcast 1GB and my computer on the Comcast speed test shows anywhere from 175 to 300. Computer shows connected at 1GB for Ethernet in settings as does the 86U on the router settings. Wireless speeds on 5g get up to 575 on my ROG ASUS laptop upstairs from my router so that’s great. All jokes a side I’m sure I’m missing something here but when I said I had the same issue that’s because I read the entire thread and had similar results.

Lets see if I can possibly answer every question in the entire thread[emoji58]. Hooked directly to the modem into the computer or computer to router to modem yield the same results. I’m on Comcast 1GB and my computer on the Comcast speed test shows anywhere from 175 to 300. Computer shows connected at 1GB for Ethernet in settings as does the 86U on the router settings. Wireless speeds on 5g get up to 575 on my ROG ASUS laptop upstairs from my router so that’s great. All jokes a side I’m sure I’m missing something here but when I said I had the same issue that’s because I read the entire thread and had similar results.

Thank you for the great information. Let me propose that we use your ROG Asus laptop as a test tool. Additionally, let's use http://speedtest.xfinity.com to test speed. For me, I get the same results whether I am attached to Ethernet or WiFi. Now let me propose test scenarios:
  1. Remove the Ethernet cable from the WAN port of the ASUS router and plug it into the laptop. Run the speed test. Report results. (I expect that even with WiFi enabled on the laptop, the laptop's routing table would choose the Ethernet as the preferred route.)
  2. Re-attach the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the ASUS router. Using a different cable, attach laptop to a LAN port of the ASUS router. Run the speed test. Report the results.
  3. Remove Ethernet cable from laptop and connect laptop WiFi to ASUS router. Run the speed test. Report the results.
For me, running the three steps with my ASUS RT-AC86U, the results were almost identical. Based on what you have reported, I would expect that your results for step 2 to be significantly less than steps 1 and 3. If this is the case then perform a factory reset to your ASUS RT-AC86U and reconfigure. DO NOT CONFIGURE ANY FEATURES. Configure enough to restore WAN and WiFi connections. Repeat steps 2 and 3. Report results.

Thank you for the great information. Let me propose that we use your ROG Asus laptop as a test tool. Additionally, let's use http://speedtest.xfinity.com to test speed. For me, I get the same results whether I am attached to Ethernet or WiFi. Now let me propose test scenarios:
  1. Remove the Ethernet cable from the WAN port of the ASUS router and plug it into the laptop. Run the speed test. Report results. (I expect that even with WiFi enabled on the laptop, the laptop's routing table would choose the Ethernet as the preferred route.)
  2. Re-attach the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the ASUS router. Using a different cable, attach laptop to a LAN port of the ASUS router. Run the speed test. Report the results.
  3. Remove Ethernet cable from laptop and connect laptop WiFi to ASUS router. Run the speed test. Report the results.
For me, running the three steps with my ASUS RT-AC86U, the results were almost identical. Based on what you have reported, I would expect that your results for step 2 to be significantly less than steps 1 and 3. If this is the case then perform a factory reset to your ASUS RT-AC86U and reconfigure. DO NOT CONFIGURE ANY FEATURES. Configure enough to restore WAN and WiFi connections. Repeat steps 2 and 3. Report results.

The computer I use and that I’m reporting about is not the ROG one. I was just using my sons ROG as an example of the WiFi speeds and how good they are. The laptop I’m talking about is the one the family uses. I did all of those steps with that one and get the same low speeds. I always have WiFi turned off / disabled so it’s just Ethernet enabled.

The computer I use and that I’m reporting about is not the ROG one. I was just using my sons ROG as an example of the WiFi speeds and how good they are. The laptop I’m talking about is the one the family uses. I did all of those steps with that one and get the same low speeds. I always have WiFi turned off / disabled so it’s just Ethernet enabled.

1. Not knowing what kind of "family laptop" you are using, I would prefer that you test Ethernet connection with ASUS laptop. However, if you can configure the "family laptop" Ethernet profile to NOT use auto-negotiate but only 1Gbps full duplex, that would be okay too.
  2. One way or the other, you should 'factory reset' your ASUS router as previously mentioned. There was another discussion this morning that had a similar issue wherein a feature was causing the slowdown issue.

1. Not knowing what kind of "family laptop" you are using, I would prefer that you test Ethernet connection with ASUS laptop. However, if you can configure the "family laptop" Ethernet profile to NOT use auto-negotiate but only 1Gbps full duplex, that would be okay too.
  2. One way or the other, you should 'factory reset' your ASUS router as previously mentioned. There was another discussion this morning that had a similar issue wherein a feature was causing the slowdown issue.

I have a Lenovo think pad. I have 1Gbps full duplex set already. Everything shows connected at 1GB on the computer and router but the speed test on the computer only does between 200-250. Sometimes it goes down to 160 or up to 300 but rarely. The router is new so I came from a factory reset. I don’t change any settings I leave whatever Merlin has checked. What was the feature that was giving someone a problem? Thanks again for your time. I had Comcast out here 3 times and they could not figure it out. I also had the same issue when I had my 1900P connected before the 86U.

Last edited:
I have a Lenovo think pad. I have 1Gbps full duplex set already. Everything shows connected at 1GB on the computer and router but the speed test on the computer only does between 200-250. Sometimes it goes down to 160 or up to 300 but rarely. The router is new so I came from a factory reset. I don’t change any settings I leave whatever Merlin has checked. What was the feature that was giving someone a problem? Thanks again for your time. I had Comcast out here 3 times and they could not figure it out. I also had the same issue when I had my 1900P connected before the 86U.

If you are truly using Merlin, you're on the wrong forum but let's proceed anyway.

For my RT-AC86U (ASUS firmware) here are features that could cause your issue that are disabled on my firmware:
  1. Network Protection
  2. Parental Control
  3. QoS
  4. Traffic Analyzer
  5. All of the Game Boost options
  6. USB applications though I am using Time Machine
  7. All of the AiCloud options
  8. UPnP
The other discussion had a parental control issue, so they say.

If you are truly using Merlin, you're on the wrong forum but let's proceed anyway.

For my RT-AC86U (ASUS firmware) here are features that could cause your issue that are disabled on my firmware:
  1. Network Protection
  2. Parental Control
  3. QoS
  4. Traffic Analyzer
  5. All of the Game Boost options
  6. USB applications though I am using Time Machine
  7. All of the AiCloud options
  8. UPnP
The other discussion had a parental control issue, so they say.

I only have UPnP on. Sorry if I’m in the wrong place for this. I’ll look elsewhere then . Thank you for your time

I only have UPnP on. Sorry if I’m in the wrong place for this. I’ll look elsewhere then . Thank you for your time

Don't know if you need UPnP but disable at least temporarily, reboot the router, and see if that helps.

How about CPU utilization when Ethernet is used compared to when it isn't?

Last edited:
Well I just lugged my main computer to test it vs the work surface. Full speed with my 27" imac. That's all I really care about anyways.

Well I just lugged my main computer to test it vs the work surface. Full speed with my 27" imac. That's all I really care about anyways.
Sorry you had to lug your iMac but at least you don't have to go to the gym today.:)

So your problem is associated the Surface and its Ethernet connection to the ASUS router. May I suggest that you disable WiFi on the surface as a test. It's possible that the corporate may be doing something with the routing table or even the DNS settings.

Sorry you had to lug your iMac but at least you don't have to go to the gym today.:)

So your problem is associated the Surface and its Ethernet connection to the ASUS router. May I suggest that you disable WiFi on the surface as a test. It's possible that the corporate may be doing something with the routing table or even the DNS settings.

Ya I'll try that in a week or so when I actually move in. I never intended to use that surface plugged into the ethernet. I just thought it was easier to bring here vs my imac. lol

I have kinda similar issue where my Android TV and Box have higher speed via wifi compared to direct connection?

I had similar but slightly different problem where RT-AC86U wired routing was very slow and even stall during sustained wget/curl downloads. Same as OP, computer connected directly to ISP's modem showed > 200Mbps. It is as if parental controls, QoS, traffic shaping settings were somehow active despite being turned off in the UI.

• 3.0.0.4.384_32797-g907bbdf fixed it for me, therefore reluctant to try 32799 :eek:
  • others have suggested trying a factory reset <--- did not try this myself

I have kinda similar issue where my Android TV and Box have higher speed via wifi compared to direct connection?
Poor performance on an Ethernet connection can be caused by cable issues or by a devices inability to auto-negotiate. In the issue presented by Max Nguyen, it appears that his "corporate controlled" Windows laptop/docking station has a configuration issue that can't be resolved because Max doesn't have administrative privileges.

To perform any kind of problem determination assistance, more needs to be known about your network environment most notably the exact types and models of devices used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!