What's new

Rtac86u Ethernet ports slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Max Nguyen

Occasional Visitor
Just upgraded to 300mbps find er line from a 100mbps adsl line.

I'm guessing I never noticed the issue because I never hit the limits of these Ethernet ports before.

Now I'm only getting 150mbps internet speeds vs 300mbps on wireless. Also if I plugged my PC into the modem/router from the isp I'm getting 300mbps.

Also tried different ports and cables.

Is this common or do I have a bad Asus router?

Just upgraded to 300mbps find er line from a 100mbps adsl line.

I'm guessing I never noticed the issue because I never hit the limits of these Ethernet ports before.

Now I'm only getting 150mbps internet speeds vs 300mbps on wireless. Also if I plugged my PC into the modem/router from the isp I'm getting 300mbps.

Also tried different ports and cables.

Is this common or do I have a bad Asus router?
Let me just confirm:
A PC connected to an unknown modem provided by your ISP connects at 300Mbps. Remove cable from PC and plug into the ASUS and you only get 150Mbps.​
1. When connected to modem, does the PC show that the Ethernet is connected at 1Gbps?
2. When connected to modem, does the ASUS show that the Ethernet is connected at 1Gbps?

Let me just confirm:
A PC connected to an unknown modem provided by your ISP connects at 300Mbps. Remove cable from PC and plug into the ASUS and you only get 150Mbps.​
1. When connected to modem, does the PC show that the Ethernet is connected at 1Gbps?
2. When connected to modem, does the ASUS show that the Ethernet is connected at 1Gbps?

Correct on all parts.

Correct on all parts.
I don’t like asking so many questions but necessary:
  1. Same ISP? Telco company?
  2. Your ASUS CPUs should be running at less than 5% with minimal traffic on your home network. Is it?
  3. Any meaningful information from system log?
  4. IPv6 enabled?
  5. How are you testing speed?

Sorry I don't know ow how to check those things out.

But yes. Same isp. Asus is also plugged into isp router/modem.

The Asus cpu should be low CPU usage as I disconnected all decides from it and did a fresh reboot .

I'm testing via speed test.net and fast.com

Sorry I don't know ow how to check those things out.

But yes. Same isp. Asus is also plugged into isp router/modem.

The Asus cpu should be low CPU usage as I disconnected all decides from it and did a fresh reboot .

I'm testing via speed test.net and fast.com
If your ISP is AT&T then you could have issues with IPv6 and/or auto-negotiation on Ethernet connection to their modem router. Either of these issues can cause a 50% reduction in effective WAN speed.

On the ISP router/modem you should be able to disable auto-negotiate on the port to ASUS and configure for 1Gbps/FD. Additionally, you should disable IPv6.

I'm on Telus in canada.

I can tell you that it feels more like a cap at 150mbps vs a 50% speed reduction. Meaning on my 1000mbps connection I get the full 100. But only until I surpassed that did I notice the problems.

If your ISP is AT&T then you could have issues with IPv6 and/or auto-negotiation on Ethernet connection to their modem router. Either of these issues can cause a 50% reduction in effective WAN speed.

On the ISP router/modem you should be able to disable auto-negotiate on the port to ASUS and configure for 1Gbps/FD. Additionally, you should disable IPv6.

I don't see anything like port auto-negotiate on the telus t3200m modem/router. Are you familiar with this device?

The only thing I see is Lan connection type (dissabled, stateless, stateful) under IPv6 lan settings. I dont' know what any of that means.

To view CPU utilization on the ASUS, go the 'Network Map' tab (on left side) then choose the 'Status' tab on the far right side toward the top. Confirm low CPU utilization. I attached mine.
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.20.53 PM.JPG

I looked at a T3200m modem/router and you should be able to confirm port connection speeds. I attached a sample.
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.34.24 PM.JPG

For IPv6 I would recommend disable.
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.38.19 PM.JPG

When you test the speed with the ASUS connected are you using the PC? If so, is the PC WiFi or cable connected to ASUS?

When you configured the ASUS wifi did you give the SSID a different name from that of the T3200m's SSID?

If you PC is connected to the ASUS via wifi then how old is the PC in years?

To view CPU utilization on the ASUS, go the 'Network Map' tab (on left side) then choose the 'Status' tab on the far right side toward the top. Confirm low CPU utilization. I attached mine.
.View attachment 14424
I looked at a T3200m modem/router and you should be able to confirm port connection speeds. I attached a sample.
View attachment 14425
For IPv6 I would recommend disable.
View attachment 14426
When you test the speed with the ASUS connected are you using the PC? If so, is the PC WiFi or cable connected to ASUS?

When you configured the ASUS wifi did you give the SSID a different name from that of the T3200m's SSID?

If you PC is connected to the ASUS via wifi then how old is the PC in years?

Yes my Surface is connected to the asus with wifi, until I plug the ethernet in thus taking over (I think)
Yes I have different SSID for both.
The surface with dock is about 2-3 years old.

Keep in mind that when I plug into ISP router modem it works at full speed.

With the ASUS router connected to ISP. Are the speed test results the same whether your Surface is plugged into the ASUS or just WiFi connected?

Is you ASUS CPU utilization low like mine when the Surface is plugged into the ASUS?

With the ASUS router connected to ISP. Are the speed test results the same whether your Surface is plugged into the ASUS or just WiFi connected?

Is you ASUS CPU utilization low like mine when the Surface is plugged into the ASUS?

The wifi speeds on the Asus are full 300mbps. Plugged into ethernet that are 150mbps.

I can't check the CPU utilization until tomorrow. The setup is at the new house that I'm moving into next week (but visit everyday to set things up)

Congratulations on new house.

Do you have any other Ethernet device, other than Surface, that you can connect to ASUS LAN port?

On the same ASUS panel that will show you CPU utilization, at the bottom it will show the ASUS LAN connections. Here is mine:
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 11.00.39 PM.JPG

Since the speed issue is only associated with the Surface being Ethernet connected to ASUS, I am still leaning toward auto-negotiation being the issue. Since the Surface is Windows you should be able to turn off auto-negotiation and configure port on the dock to 1Gbps.
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 11.17.37 PM.JPG

Congratulations on new house.

Do you have any other Ethernet device, other than Surface, that you can connect to ASUS LAN port?

On the same ASUS panel that will show you CPU utilization, at the bottom it will show the ASUS LAN connections. Here is mine:
View attachment 14427
Since the speed issue is only associated with the Surface being Ethernet connected to ASUS, I am still leaning toward auto-negotiation being the issue. Since the Surface is Windows you should be able to turn off auto-negotiation and configure port on the dock to 1Gbps.
View attachment 14429

I won't have another device to try via ethernet until I move in with my IMAC.

I will try that windows try tomrorow along with turning off IPv6. I'll report back after I try.

Excellent. I'll be around all weekend.

Crap. I just tried to "practice" your suggestions at this house. My Surface is a work computer and I don't have priviledges to change the adapter settings......

I don't even really care about this surface and more than 150mbps. I more care about my imac when I move it over. That's where I do all of my downloading.....

I guess I'll bring this Imac over tomorrow to see if it has the same issues. I just assumed if was the asus router because it gets full speed with the T3200m

Ahh... a work computer. I understand.

Auto-negotiation is not always implemented the same way on every device. Consequently, some device connections can repeat the auto-negotiation process over and over which takes a lot of available bandwidth away from data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!