What's new

Running Merlin on RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrDKOz

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've searched the forum and found a few references to this model, but I couldn't find anyone confirming or denying it working on the RT-AX82U.

I was just wondering, can I run the Merlin firmware on this model, or is it going to be supported in the future if not?

Thank you,
MrDKOz

Merlin isn't looking at the possibility of adding new models until Asus has transitioned to the 386 branch of code, so could be a while if ever.

Just noticed that the RT-AX82U now has version 3.0.0.4.384_9948, I'm assuming that is what was being waited for in regards to supporting this router?

Uhm, no.

Since RT-AX82U based on the same HW as RT-AX58U, is there any chance for support in future?
I'm on a dilemma.

There is only a $20 difference in price between RT-AX82U and RT-AX86U on Amazon !!!
Why not simply stick to a router already supported by RMerlin - like the RT-AX86U when 386 code is released ???

RT-AX82 - Based on AX58_iPA platform
RT-AX58 - Based on AX58_iPA platform
TUF-AX3000 - Based on AX58_ePA platform

There is only a $20 difference in price between RT-AX82U and RT-AX86U on Amazon !!!
Not exactly for UK Amazon
£179.99 for RT-AX82U and £249.99 for RT-AX86U (70!)

But it would be true if we spoke about a price difference between RT-AX82U and RT-AX58U.

Last edited:
I've checked the model RT-AC86U (starting with version 382.1) is supported but not RT-AX86U.

RMerlin is busy developing the 386 branch of his code for Asus routers and he has indicated support will be available for the RT-AX86U ...

Asuswrt-Merlin 386/NG Changelog
===============================

386.1 (xx-xx-xxxx)
Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces
AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1
firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered
by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.

- NOTE: For developers, note that firmware code is
once again back on the master branch, with
both mainline and ax being reunified again.

- NEW: Added support for the RT-AX86U.
- NEW: Added support for the GT-AC2900, with a few restrictions:
- Non-ROG UI is used
- VPN Fusion is not supported
- A few other ROG-specific features are not supported
This is an experiment done in collaboration with Asus.
- NEW: Added stub and stub-v2 compression options to OpenVPN
clients. Not added to server, since compression is
considered deprecated, and will be removed most likely
in OpenVPN 2.6, for security reasons.
- NEW: Added tls-crypt-v2 support to OpenVPN clients.
- NEW: Added option to select an OpenVPN client when
running Oookla Speedtest.
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_41035 (beta GPL from Asus).
- UPDATED: Openssl to 1.1.1h.
etc ...

So when that firmware is ready for release [still in Alpha before it goes Beta and then Release mode] - the RT-AX86U will be included.

Just noticed that the RT-AX82U now has version 3.0.0.4.384_9948, I'm assuming that is what was being waited for in regards to supporting this router?
Could you check which version of beta firmware is available for RT-AX82U?
I spotted in one forum that it is 9.0.0.4.386_40947.

Damn I bought the wrong router. The RT-AX82U just fitted my needs and the price was right. But now I really wanna do some split tunneling. And saw that the Merlin firmware once again comes to the rescue.

Are there any news about this RT-AX82U router getting the Merlin treatment ? Or should I just cut my losses, and buy the 86U or 88U?, and hope I can sell my old one.

Damn I bought the wrong router. The RT-AX82U just fitted my needs and the price was right. But now I really wanna do some split tunneling. And saw that the Merlin firmware once again comes to the rescue.

Are there any news about this RT-AX82U router getting the Merlin treatment ? Or should I just cut my losses, and buy the 86U or 88U?, and hope I can sell my old one.
Why not just get the AX86U future proof? 86U is still good but doesn't do WiFi6. I haven't got WiFi6 devices but upgraded on the off chance.

@muffintastic
I'll buy the AX86U, so I hope I can sell the AX82U. I really need the Merlin features. I looked at the differences between the AX86U and the AX88U, and there where more pointing towards the AX86U, so that's what I'm going for.

@CrashXRu
Exiting stuff, but I can't imagine that this won't have some kind of consequences in regards to stability and features not supported properly on different hardware.

there are already successful attempts to enable mimo 4x4 for ax58/ax3000

but for now this is a temporary solution
different equipment is produced for different countries, so I want to collect all the model options
so far collected European models, several Chinese

@snowatom
I'm in the same situation as you; Just bought the AX-82U as it seemed like a great deal, but need Merlin to unleash its full potential.
For me I just want to disable WAN access for my FTP server, especially considering I cannot seem to find a good way to approve the certificate for the DDNS.
Now I am wondering if I should wait to see if there is a Merlin release in the future, downgrade to the AX3000 or upgrade to the AX-86U.
I am really hoping for the former as the AX-86U costs twice the price here in Japan and cannot bring myself to downgrade, but I just notice there is a new release for other models so I imagine it will be sometime. Heres hoping though!

I was lucky enough to have bought the AX-82U Black Friday. So I sold it with almost no loss. I then bought the AX-86U, and it works great. But I would also think that the AX-82U gets the Merlin treatment. I just couldn’t wait.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!