What's new

RV320 and EdgeRouter Light - DDNS and L2TP Router Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beedix

New Around Here
I'm leaning toward either the RV320 or EdgeRouter Lite for my home network to replace a Zyxel USG50. Probably leaning moreso toward the ERL since the simultaneous up\down rates will be closer to Gigabit if it ever becomes available in my area. Other than that, the two routers appear to have all features that I'm looking for except that I've read a few rumors that I'm hoping to clear up.

For all intents and purposes, my WAN IP is not static. I use No-Ip as my dynamic service. I see both routers support this DDNS provider and handle updates. Perfect. However, I've read things about a limitation on the RV320 and I'm not sure if I'm reading current information. Essentially, when setting up a Ipsec Client to Gateway group tunnel, it's my understanding that you cannot state that the dynamic WANIP internal to the gateway is the IP to be used. Are there limitations surrounding this? And although the settings appear to allow L2TP to passthrough firewall-wise, I did not see a setting any mention of L2TP over the Ipsec as a setting in the Ipsec configuration. Is it just assumed that L2TP over Ipsec or straight Ipsec are both enabled?

Just wanted to see if anybody could dispell that tidbit or if it would be a risk that would probably confirm that my gamble would be on the ERL.

I have a RV320 router which seems fast. The response time is really quick. I think this is why the router graphs rate the RV320 higher than the ERL. Of course speed is not more important than function and stability. So which is better I don't know.

I looked up the answers the best I could on my RV320 router. I have not used Cisco's VPN in a long time. I used IPsec back then.
The RV320 router supports 3 DDNS DynDNS.org, 3322.org and NOIP were listed on the pull down menu.
There is a check box for VPN L2TP passthrough. Here is the help screen on the RV320 router for VPN passthrough.
VPN Passthrough
VPN Passthrough allows VPN clients to pass through this router and connect to a VPN endpoint and is enabled by default.

To open this page, select VPN> VPN Passthrough in the navigation tree.

To enable VPN Passthrough, check Enable for the allowed protocols:

 •IPSec Passthrough—Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) is a suite of protocols used to implement secure exchange of packets at the IP layer.

 •PPTP Passthrough—Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) allows the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) to be tunneled through an IP network.

 •L2TP Passthrough—Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol is the method used to enable Point-to-Point sessions by using the Internet at Layer 2.

PS
I have a TWC 300 megabit connection as I don't have real GIG available here either.

Last edited:
appreciate the reply. So it sounds like:
DDNS - Check
L2TP over Ipsec - Check
IpSec configuration supporting a dynamic WAN IP - May be an issue. I've not run across a confirmation in my search.

There is no way to know all the details on all networks with equipment. There is a emulator on Cisco's site which you can try. At least you can know whether you can enter the configuration details. Having a configuration that uses a registered DNS name sounds like a good way to go. I would not want to have to change the IP address of a config just because an IP changed.
I looked in the emulator for VPN under Remote Client Setup there is an option for "Dynamic IP + Domain Name (FQDU) Authentication" option. There is also a pull down "IP by DNS Resolved" under same heading. There are lots of options so you need to try the emulator to make sure this makes sense to you.
RV320 emulator
https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/RV320_Emulators/RV320_Emulator_v1.1.0.09/default.htm

These things are so cheap now you can buy and sell without much lost.

I would buy what you are comfortable with. If you feel better about the ERL buy it. You are the one that to has deal with it.

Last edited:
I did play around with the emulator but due to limitations, it really won't let you save settings so you can't really see all the options that would follow after saving a configuration.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the ERL. I was able to get up and running quickly without issue and was able to setup L2TP with DHCP on the WAN without issue. Have a lot of firewall, forwarding, and NAT settings to migrate over and then I should be done. Great little router so far.

thanks for your help.