What's new

Safe to use NAS as internet facing webserver?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would put your NAS's embedded webserver on the Internet?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, too risky

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

ReD-BaRoN

Occasional Visitor
I know that many of the NASes have website software built into them. I'm somewhat worried about actually subjecting the NAS to being accessable on the Internet. What do you guys think? I would think it's a big security risk in doing so. Main Linux distros keep up with saftey patches, not sure NAS manufacturers will be as good at that.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The answer depends on what you are trying to do. I would not take a NAS out of the box and place it directly in on the internet with anything on it I wanted to protect.

Personally, I would [not] give internet access to any server that had data on it I did not want the general public to have access to. I have a NAS that I use at home for storing photos, music, and personal files. I would never make part of that NAS accessible on the internet. I don't want to add any additional risk to the content being accessed or compromised.

I have placed NAS devices and servers on the internet to share files, blogs, etc., and even set up "secure" areas for private sharing with family and friends. The NAS/server is always behind a firewall, filtering is from the firewall plus the NAS/server, and I try to limit the impact of any breach in security by making sure there is nothing on the NAS/server that is not backed up and is not too sensitive if someone should get unintended access to it.

Last edited by a moderator: