What's new

Safely moved

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iFrogMac

Just letting people i've safely moved, my router(s) are packed and will be using family's internet connection for a bit. Will put my network back up once I have a place of my own again.

gl with everything bro

OK, I am getting ready to move out of my temporary place with family into my own apartment this weekend. They have Cox and i have my service set up. However, I can't use my router unless I buy my own modem as the oen they have there is a router / modem combo and the woman told me over the phone the only way I can use my own router with their service is to buy my own modem. This will also lower my bill about $14 since I won't be paying the rental fee. What's a good cable modem that would work with cox gig service?

Thanks.

look at what cox certifies as compatible. They should have a list of third party modems.

look at what cox certifies as compatible. They should have a list of third party modems.
They do, and I plan to do so. I just thought I would ask to see if anyone had any recommendations of a particular model. Since I haven't had to buy a modem. When I had spectrum they didn't charge a rental fee, and their stock modem was just a modem, so I had no issues. Now that I'm no longer able to do business with Spectrum and have to deal with cox now. It's a different story. I'll check their list and see what modems are certified but after that may have to ask about particular models to see if anyone knows specifics as far as performance, etc.

Thanks again. Will report back after I've checked through the list.

NETGEAR CM1000-100NAS
Here's a great deal, today only. Use the promo code to get an extra $20 off for a total of $99.99.
Thanks. I had considered that. What's funny is, when I went to look at the apartment today, the cox modem that was supposed to be there wasn't so I had to get a new one from the cox store. Anyway it was a painless process. Either way, the former tenant must have taken the modem which they weren't supposed to do. I also found out that according to Cox support, they don't recognize the Asus RT-AX86U as a compatible router with their Gigablast plan. They recognize a few Asus routers, but they are the GT series. Since I was told I can change the SSID, and password with their router, and they separate the 2.4, and 5Ghz bands, I'll use it for a while and see how it does. If I need something specific then I'll go the route of my own modem and router again.

I've been using my family's AT&T connection while staying here and it's worked fine for what I do. So maybe the cox stuff will do OK as well. I'll have to see how it does as I get things unpacked and get established in the new place and start adding stuff back into the setup.

I am finally in my own place again. The physical layout of the new apartment isn't ideal for the wireless network I had, but I can still wire the iMac to the cox modem/router. Also, I downloaded their wifi app and changed some of the main settings I would have used on the Asus router, and things have worked well. So will give it some time to see if I even need to use my own router while living here.

Thanks again for the help.

I have good news!, I found a document on Cox's support site about putting their Panoramic gateway into Bridge mode. I did so and have my RT-AX86U up and running the network, just like back in my old home. Updated to the latest firmware, and everything seems good.

I have the router sitting on a table I setup in the living room for things so it's in a nice central location. Plus it's visible when people come in so it's a nice display piece as well. I'm just glad I could use it again as I spent a lot for it and hadn't really used it all that long before moving.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!