What's new

Samba bug with admin login

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hale_JP

Occasional Visitor
It looks that while Samba in Merlin shares main admin login and password, the number of SMB connections is limited to 1, regardless of configured in corresponding section of webGUI.

This creates certain obstacles, confusion and panic, when you try to manage your NAS from windows; which often creates several connections with the same active credentials in parallel. Particularly it is killing operation of system software, like backups.

And there is more:
looks like I can not configure more than 2 users in the list. Other added users' configurations can not be saved and they stay inactive

Last edited:
It looks that while Samba in Merlin shares main admin login and password, the number of SMB connections is limited to 1, regardless of configured in corresponding section of webGUI.

This creates certain obstacles, confusion and panic, when you try to manage your NAS from windows; which often creates several connections with the same active credentials in parallel. Particularly it is killing operation of system software, like backups.

And there is more:
looks like I can not configure more than 2 users in the list. Other added users' configurations can not be saved and they stay inactive
What does managing your NAS have to do with your router? However, I suspect you are trying to discuss your router with an attached drive? If so the recommendation is to get a NAS. Or make one from a Raspberry Pi.

What router model? What firmware version?

And there is more:
It sounds like you've run out of space in NVRAM or it is corrupted in some way. I suggest that you backup your settings and then do a factory reset. Afterwards minimally configure the router to the point where you can test these two issues. If that solves your problem continue to manually configure your other settings. If it didn't fix your problem you can always restore from the backup you just took to get back to where your were.

What does managing your NAS have to do with your router? However, I suspect you are trying to discuss your router with an attached drive? If so the recommendation is to get a NAS. Or make one from a Raspberry Pi.
I am fed enough with various trolls telling me get rid of nas, get rid of router, get rid of windows, get rid of car... I want to get rid of these insects.
i.e. it does not solve a problem. router attached storage works wonderful as NAS, except user/rights management in current firmware. I have been using it for longer than a year with one user account (in addition to admin) and had no issues.

@ColinTaylor
Thank you. Thats really weird because I never used optware, installed or formatted anything beyond basic functions. I can create more shares, reduce number of shares, create as many users as I like... but only two of them, Admin and the next user are configurable... and only one admin session possible.

Do you confirm, that in current Merlin all Samba users created are configurable for access rights with GUI? if so, probably I have to reset..

Do you confirm, that in current Merlin all Samba users created are configurable for access rights with GUI? if so, probably I have to reset..
I don't use Merlin's current version I use John's fork. Which is why I asked what router and firmware you had. There might be a bug that's specific to your hardware/firmware combination. But in John's firmware it works as expected with multiple users.

Also, check that the storage device is not 100% full. The actual permissions for each user are stored in files in the root directory of the storage device (not NVRAM), so if it can't write to the storage device...

Colin, you just told an interesting thing... not full
No, it is not. But I suddenly discovered that I can create no more than 2 files through samba, or 1 directory and 1 file. Well, directory is a kind of file reference.

And it hit in my head, that yesterday, before deciding to split access rights by users, I copied there a photo archive of 79837 photos in 1288 folders...

Is there a limitation to total number of files in ASUS NTFS driver?

Because user rights for samba are defined exactly in text files, one meaningful file and one empty flag file per user...