What's new

Samba still unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While I agree that a NAS is better for what you want to do...
1. Set the USB3 port to USB2 operation. Slower yes. More reliable and less WIFI interference, yes!
2. Use a thumb drive in the other port for a swap file or better yet a swap partition at least equal to your router RAM.
3. Power the hard drive from an external source. I used an AC66U_B1 with a 1 TB WD green drive in a powered enclosure to store videos for quite a while until I bought a Synology NAS.
And, in spite of what others may say you can use NTFS format.

In my experience my RT-AC87U NAS function has been useful for media streaming and quick file sharing but I wouldn't use it for backing up my files as there is a chance that large files will get corrupted with or without a wired connection due to the limited memory available.

That happened to me with a 30 GB .vdi file that Virtualbox could no longer open after it was moved back from my router to my laptop. Thankfully I had another copy of it on a different USB drive but since then I've stopped using the router for backing up anything and bought a real NAS.

While I agree that a NAS is better for what you want to do...
1. Set the USB3 port to USB2 operation. Slower yes. More reliable and less WIFI interference, yes!
2. Use a thumb drive in the other port for a swap file or better yet a swap partition at least equal to your router RAM.
3. Power the hard drive from an external source. I used an AC66U_B1 with a 1 TB WD green drive in a powered enclosure to store videos for quite a while until I bought a Synology NAS.
And, in spite of what others may say you can use NTFS format.
Yea, for long term set it and forget it solution, i would say nas is the best solution. The only issues i have ever seen from using external connected to router as a solution was hard drive corruption a few times because of improper formatting. The only samba issues i have ever experienced have been chalked up to unstable wifi connections or limited cpu performance of the router. To determine which is the issue, it is recommended to review logs and analyze cpu usage.

What is ram usage before and during the file transfer?
Also have you tested another hard drive and with all the scripts disabled?
- RAM usage aroudn 50 percent regularly, during the transfer goes up to approx 95 percent and stays there through out.
I ended up attaching the source drive to USB 2.0 port and completed the transfer without any issues.