What's new

Samsung galaxy S7 and RT-AC87U bandwidth issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozzed

Regular Contributor
Yes, I have restarted both the router and the phone several times.
-----

Hi!

I'm having some issues with my new Galaxy S7 and my RT-AC87U router.

I have the Merlin 380.59 firmware, and here is my issue.

I can only get a maximum of 433mbps connection rate on the S7 at home, with the router. At first I was like "WTF?? it's the same as my old S4 that is 4 years old!!", and Figured woah Samsung has not made any progress, but when I connect at work I get 866mbps. So I know the device is capable of faster speeds, and my wife's S6 does get faster speeds too so it seems to be that the router and the S7 doesn't really get along.

I started looking into if it can be something with channels. To my surprise, I find that I only have channels 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, and 112.

I'm in Europe, and to my understanding those channels are all 20Mhz only. Am I correct? I have set the bandwidth to 80Mhz but I am not aware of any method to verify what channel bandwidth I'm actually running at.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated. I'm at my whit's end and totally lost in this issue.

Reported link rate with a strong signal is a good indicator of channel bandwidth. 433 Mbps is 1x1 80 MHz (802.11ac) 867 Mbps is 2x2 80 MHz.

If I remember correctly, someone in another thread reported 1x1 link rates with MU-MIMO enabled. If you are running firmware that enables MU-MIMO, try disabling it. Check the phone's Wi-Fi settings too.

Reported link rate with a strong signal is a good indicator of channel bandwidth. 433 Mbps is 1x1 80 MHz (802.11ac) 867 Mbps is 2x2 80 MHz.

If I remember correctly, someone in another thread reported 1x1 link rates with MU-MIMO enabled. If you are running firmware that enables MU-MIMO, try disabling it. Check the phone's Wi-Fi settings too.

Thanks! :)

Now I'm getting 650mbps if I'm standing close to the router, so it's still not as good as at work, but definitely better.

From what I gather, this means it's running at 1x1 in 80Mhz-mode.. But at work I'm getting 866, and I know the router is capable of more, since my laptop can run 866mbps with a 2x2 wifi card in it.

So would this mean there's some compatibility issues between the Quantenna chip and the S7 that causes it to revert to 1x1 operation?

From what I gather, this means it's running at 1x1 in 80Mhz-mode.. But at work I'm getting 866, and I know the router is capable of more, since my laptop can run 866mbps with a 2x2 wifi card in it.
No. Anything above 433 Mbps indicates 2x2 802.11ac (80 MHz bandwidth)

So would this mean there's some compatibility issues between the Quantenna chip and the S7 that causes it to revert to 1x1 operation?
Did you disable MU-MIMO?

Could be. Or it could be the S7 falling back to 1x1 mode when using MU-MIMO.

NETGEAR R7800 also having problems with the S7 and MU-MIMO.
www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-mu-mimo-and-samsung.32747

The NETGEAR uses QCA radios, which have the most mature MU-MIMO support at this point. So it is likely the phone.

That probably explains why it's limited to 433Mbps when MU-MIMO is enabled.
When MU-MIMO is disabled, it only reaches 650Mbps though, but the routers at work can get it up to 866Mbps, so something else is capping the bandwidth at home.

The bandwidth (throughput) has yet to be proven capped. It is simply the indicated connection rate that is lower.

When MU-MIMO is disabled, it only reaches 650Mbps though, but the routers at work can get it up to 866Mbps, so something else is capping the bandwidth at home.
That could be due to different chipsets in your home and work router / APs.

The bandwidth (throughput) has yet to be proven capped. It is simply the indicated connection rate that is lower.
I agree. Run some performance tests to see if the lower link rate matters.

That could be due to different chipsets in your home and work router / APs.

I agree. Run some performance tests to see if the lower link rate matters.

Again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :)

So what I did is I opened two tabs from the router admin interface, one showing link speed, and one showing traffic monitor. Then I transfered a video with Airdroid, and the link speed did jump up to 867mbps, and the bandwidth showed peak speed of 518.84Mbps! :) So all is well, and the router does what it's supposed to. I guess either the router or the phone has some pretty agressive power saving and won't use more power than needed to achieve max throughput. So... Case closed, and thank you again for your help :)

Hi

I’m the one with the Netgear 7800 router.

Ozzed could you bother tell me what link speeds you get on 2.4 Ghz with the s7? The S7 always gives the odd speed of 192Mbps as max link rate regardless of the state the router is in

I have given up on higher link rates on the 2.4Ghz band but have verified on my laptop the router will give 300 Mbit link (copy speed of 27 MB/s) but falls back to 144 after a few minutes. The Important thing for me is that it now performs good at 5G but I am curious to what’s up with the 192 link rate and l want to know what the s7 is capable of.

Hi

I’m the one with the Netgear 7800 router.

Ozzed could you bother tell me what link speeds you get on 2.4 Ghz with the s7? The S7 always gives the odd speed of 192Mbps as max link rate regardless of the state the router is in

I have given up on higher link rates on the 2.4Ghz band but have verified on my laptop the router will give 300 Mbit link (copy speed of 27 MB/s) but falls back to 144 after a few minutes. The Important thing for me is that it now performs good at 5G but I am curious to what’s up with the 192 link rate and l want to know what the s7 is capable of.

Hi!

I tested now and if I stand next to the router I get 192mbps so it seems to be the same as yours. If I switch to 5Ghz i get 866mbps. An oddity I noted is that the wireless log reports that I'm connected to channel 11 when it's actually channel 1.

Hi!

I tested now and if I stand next to the router I get 192mbps so it seems to be the same as yours. If I switch to 5Ghz i get 866mbps. An oddity I noted is that the wireless log reports that I'm connected to channel 11 when it's actually channel 1.

That's weird. I have the same phone , router, and firmware and if I am in the same room I get full speed. Can you post your full settings under wireless advanced?

That's weird. I have the same phone , router, and firmware and if I am in the same room I get full speed. Can you post your full settings under wireless advanced?

Full speed as in 300mbps? 192Mbit is for 2.4Ghz. When on 5.2Ghz I get the full 866Mbps.

Here are my professional settings for the 2.4Ghz-band , if that's what you meant.

hK9BqYv.png

I had the same problem as well with S7 (Europe version = different chip). Only 433 link with mu-mimo wave 2 routers. 867 with wave 1.

The S7 wifi chip socks. In 2 out of 5 attempts with speedtest.net or inssider the app would hangup with wifi going down. Once a while complete device lockup.

No solution so far.

I had the same problem as well with S7 (Europe version = different chip). Only 433 link with mu-mimo wave 2 routers. 867 with wave 1.

The S7 wifi chip socks. In 2 out of 5 attempts with speedtest.net or inssider the app would hangup with wifi going down. Once a while complete device lockup.

No solution so far.

Well... The phone is young. We can hope that in the ~2 years of firmware updates yet to come they will fix the drivers for it.

This is expected behavior with MU at this stage - the STA (the GS7) is MU capable, as is the AP, so it connects at the MU rate, which the AP has determined to be 1 stream..

MU is not faster than SU - but it does help with capacity with multiple MU clients.

This is expected behavior with MU at this stage - the STA (the GS7) is MU capable, as is the AP, so it connects at the MU rate, which the AP has determined to be 1 stream..

MU is not faster than SU - but it does help with capacity with multiple MU clients.

I find this slightly confusing. Are you saying that MU-MIMO has a lower link rate "by design", or just in this stage of development? I have a hard time seeing any benefits in sacrificing speed for capacity in a home network, unless there's a very large number of clients.

If MU-MIMO is simply about forcing all clients to use a lower bandwidth to make room for more clients at a given given capacity, it's not a very exciting technology.

If however it's just this way "at this stage" of development I guess it's to be expected. It does still say it's a "beta" feature.

I disabled MU-MIMO and everything seems good to go.