What's new

SB 6183 good enough my 400Mbs Xfinity?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I am thinking of upgrading to a faster speed with Xfinity. I have a Archer C7 v2, SB 6183 and a laptop with an Intel 7260 AC wifi chip..
Will this system be able to benefit from the faster speed? I am usually 40 feet away from router at my desk, and I stream videos, youtube etc.
Xfinity says my SB6183 only supports 373Mbps due to "filters"?
Thnx in advance.

Last edited:
The 7260AC should easily be able to do 400 Mbps in my experience but at 40ft depends on obstacles/home construction wood vs concrete walls/granite flooring etc and positing of router and antenna placement within laptop as well. My home is mostly drywall interior with wood flooring so I never had issues getting less than ~300-400 Mbps with a 7260ac through much of our 2 story home. Comcast/Xfinity usually overprovisions all tiers including even gigabit by about 20% so you’d likely get closer to around 480 Mbps on the 400 tier.

As for the modem not fully supporting the 400, they may be right, 686 Mbps is theoretical and real world supported is probably just around the 400 Mbps mark in good conditions. You could just get a Docsis 3.1 Arris SB8200, Motorola MB8600 or Netgear CM1000. The SB8200 is very well built from internal photos I’ve seen and is the model I’ve used till recently.

Last edited:
Thnx. I guess the 8200 will future proof me for a while. I will be getting a new laptop with AX and router too, in the near future.

SB6183 was a great modem in DOCSIS 3.0 days...

As noted, Xfinity provisions them at a max of 373Mbps - even though the modem itself can go higher - much of this is due to the DOCSIS 3.1 rollout, which is the "filters" that OP speaks of...

SB6183 was a great modem in DOCSIS 3.0 days...

As noted, Xfinity provisions them at a max of 373Mbps - even though the modem itself can go higher - much of this is due to the DOCSIS 3.1 rollout, which is the "filters" that OP speaks of...
So Xfinity filters it?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!