What's new

Schedule wifi radio - lower radiation during night

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tonny

New Around Here
I want to lower the wifi radiation during night, since the Asus router is near the bed.

If you use the scheduler option in professionel settings, will it then disable the radio/wifi completely or ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asus also have eco mode in Asus Router app, but there is nowhere information on how it works, and you cannot set a schedule for this function.

The scheduler option doesn't disable the radio. It restricts specific clients (one, some or all).

Digital timer?

Thanks for the answers. I don't want to turn if completely off, since I would like the VPN server and local LAN ports to continue to work.
Looks like I have to move it then.

If you use the scheduler option in professionel settings, will it then disable the radio/wifi completely or ?

The scheduler option doesn't disable the radio. It restricts specific clients (one, some or all).
Really? That's not what the help balloon says. It says that it powers off the radio.

Untitled.png

I can't test this at the moment because the family's using it.

EDIT: OK I've just tried this and all indications are that the selected radio is completely turned off.
Untitled2.png

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, I've been proved wrong again! Just look how much I'm learning though. :)

Glad you had the chance to pursue this and give good info to the OP.

Nice to know but I'd also need proof (wifi analyzer) before I'd rely on what the GUI says. We all know there's mistakes in implementation, "help" translation, "help" out-of-date....

I'd test it myself but all my wifi IoT stuff freaks-out whenever there's a network disruption. I spend the rest of the day rebooting stuff.

Nice to know but I'd also need proof (wifi analyzer) before I'd rely on what the GUI says. We all know there's mistakes in implementation, "help" translation, "help" out-of-date....
That what my second pictures shows. The radio is "disabled", that's as much "off" as it can get. One might speculate that technically there's still power connected to the radio chips and power amplifiers but it's certainly not transmitting any detectable WiFi signal (and the WiFi LED turns off). Beyond that one would need a spectrum analyser and I don't have one that goes up to that frequency.

That what my second pictures shows. The radio is "disabled", that's as much "off" as it can get.
That's just the Wireless log. It could mean anything from the radio is powered down to the drivers aren't sending/receiving data (or any of several scenarios in between). OP's concern was RF exposure, so that's what needs to be verified.
If the carrier is still present, then the only thing that this accomplishes is data is not passing and/or the SSIDs are not being transmitted.
It all depends on the implementation and what that flag really means.

That's just the Wireless log. It could mean anything from the radio is powered down to the drivers aren't sending/receiving data (or any of several scenarios in between). OP's concern was RF exposure, so that's what needs to be verified.
That was the point I was making in the rest of my post (the part you didn't quote).

If the carrier is still present, then the only thing that this accomplishes is data is not passing and/or the SSIDs are not being transmitted.
It all depends on the implementation and what that flag really means.
WiFi isn't like broadcast radio, there isn't a persistent carrier signal. It's either transmitting or it isn't (otherwise it would block everyone else's WiFi). The only real concern for the OP might be broad spectrum EMR from the router in general rather than WiFi specifically. The FCC and other organisations have deemed the device to be safe in this respect. If that isn't sufficient for the OP then as you said in post #4 the only solution is to power off the entire router together with every other electrical appliance in the room (and don't put your bed next to the wall where the mains wiring is ;)).

Last edited:
Or just switch off the 5G radio via scheduler, since this expose the most energy.
Additional, you can permanent reduce the 2.4GHz transmission power.

Thanks for the answers. I don't want to turn if completely off, since I would like the VPN server and local LAN ports to continue to work.
Looks like I have to move it then.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.13

I want to lower the wifi radiation during night, since the Asus router is near the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you might prefer an automated solution. You can plug your router into a timer, just like you would a light.

Then set the timer to go on and off when you want it to, and voila! You don’t need to worry about it anymore.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!