What's new

Scheduled Reboot - Why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In theory, it shouldn't be necessary. But these routers and their firmware are imperfect. And sometimes they can work themselves into a bad state for various reasons (memory leaks, buffer overflows, etc.), where only a reboot will return a router to normal operations, at least until the next time things deteriorate. Thankfully it's the exception, but at least having the option to schedule a reboot provides a workaround if you find you're not so lucky.

Lots of reasons why or why not already in this thread.

I never reboot anything for no reason. Scheduled reboot option in firmware sounds like an excuse - we know, sorry, working on it.

I never reboot anything for no reason. Scheduled reboot option in firmware sounds like an excuse - we know, sorry, working on it.
i hope you are never in a position where you can't reboot.

scheduled reboot sounds like it is not for you, but can be a necessity for other people's specific use cases.

I tend to agree with @Tech9 . If you need to “schedule” a reboot, you are likely covering up a problem that should be addressed. Don’t get me wrong - I have done plenty of reboots when adjusting things, adding scripts, updating firmwares. When I believe necessary.

The antithesis of this thread:

;-)

Indeed. I don't see anyone talking about the need to reboot on a regular basis. Scheduled reboot for no reason is service interruption for no reason.

Personally I consider rebooting maintenance. These are home routers not Cisco or Juniper work horses. Restarts prevent stupid things from happening when you do not expect them.
Hell I have had my FIOS ONT go tits up every so often so i put it on one of those 'away from home' timers to restart it every 3 days.

I guess you never restart your desktop computer.

Indeed. I don't see anyone talking about the need to reboot on a regular basis. Scheduled reboot for no reason is service interruption for no reason.
On some level, maybe they just don't trust their routers.

Your guess is correct. Only when restart is required after update or software installation. My desktop PC is on 24/7.

Hell I have had my FIOS ONT go tits up every so often so i put it on one of those 'away from home' timers to restart it every 3 days.

You may have to call the ISP. Something is not right with the equipment they have provided to you. It has to be replaced.

Last edited:
On some level, maybe they just don't trust their routers.

Or don't understand how tech should work ;)

For me, if I notice 'glitchy' behaviour that requires regular reboots (that are not update / upgrade based) then I would either fix or try to replace that piece of gear.

My Desktop runs VMs and is up 24/7 unless there are patches that require reboots (which is monthly whether we're talking about new kernels for linux or patch-Tuesday for MS).

My router is up all the time unless the power goes out or there is a new Merlin version I feel needs to be installed (I'm still on 386.2_6 because nothing after seemed required to me). I do monitor the available RAM to see if anything 'leaks' but not an issue. If there was, I'd try to update versions or disable add-ons to see if I could get that under control.

There are 2 people working from home here, the gear has to work. Periodic reboots in an attempt to 'proactively' address something seems to me, to just be addressing a possible symptom and hiding the larger issue.

YMMV of course. :)

Personally I consider rebooting maintenance. These are home routers not Cisco or Juniper work horses. Restarts prevent stupid things from happening when you do not expect them.

My Verizon FiOS ONT hasn't been rebooted in the six years it's been installed unless it was unknown to me. It's on a UPS and has its own internal battery backup. I've never had a power interruption last longer than the combination could handle.

My router only gets rebooted with firmware upgrades. Currently on 97 days uptime, which is when I installed this version.

My Windows 10 PC only reboots when an update forces it. When I'm not using it I do suspend to RAM. I do not reboot or turn it off.

None of this is because I'm blessed with luck, but because when I have a problem that causes instability I am compelled by my demons to hunt it down and fix it.