What's new

Scribe scribe and Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
Just a reminder since Entware recently updated, and included an update to syslog-ng, after updating Entware, it's advisable (but not mandatory) to run scribe's status function to update the syslog-ng.conf file to reflect the latest version. This can be accomplished in 3 ways:
  1. If using amtm, run scribe from amtm's menu (option 5), and select 's' (Show scribe status) from scribe's menu; or
  2. If at the command line, enter 'scribe' to run scribe, and select 's' (Show scribe status) from scribe's menu; or
  3. If at the command line, enter 'scribe status' to directly run the status, and return to the command line.
I can't think of a way to automate this when Entware updates, I really didn't expect syslog-ng to update with every Entware update when I wrote scribe.

Just a reminder since Entware recently updated, and included an update to syslog-ng, after updating Entware, it's advisable (but not mandatory) to run scribe's status function to update the syslog-ng.conf file to reflect the latest version. This can be accomplished in 3 ways:
  1. If using amtm, run scribe from amtm's menu (option 5), and select 's' (Show scribe status) from scribe's menu; or
  2. If at the command line, enter 'scribe' to run scribe, and select 's' (Show scribe status) from scribe's menu; or
  3. If at the command line, enter 'scribe status' to directly run the status, and return to the command line.
I can't think of a way to automate this when Entware updates, I really didn't expect syslog-ng to update with every Entware update when I wrote scribe.
might be overkill, but a cron job that compares the installed syslog-ng version with the config version?
or inspect which scripts/services are killed when syslog-ng updates (perhaps force a downgrade and then upgrade to test) and write a hook?

Wait a sec. This is doing what it is supposed to. We've only really seen a few relevant changes in the last few years (and they've been doozies!). So running in compatibility mode is a good fallback until we see what changes might have been made that are relevant. Blindly changing the .conf file to remove the notification is not the best thing, I think.

Also, when you do get around the fooling with scribe again, I think you only want to deal with that particular line. The sed running now changes the number in one other, maybe two places it shouldn't.

might be overkill, but a cron job that compares the installed syslog-ng version with the config version?
or inspect which scripts/services are killed when syslog-ng updates (perhaps force a downgrade and then upgrade to test) and write a hook?
Heh, I remember people whinging when they realized almost all of the add-on scripts run every time service-event is called. I already log every call to the service-event script, nothing in the logs from updating syslog-ng earlier. It may end up having to be a cron job.

Wait a sec. This is doing what it is supposed to. We've only really seen a few relevant changes in the last few years (and they've been doozies!). So running in compatibility mode is a good fallback until we see what changes might have been made that are relevant. Blindly changing the .conf file to remove the notification is not the best thing, I think.

Also, when you do get around the fooling with scribe again, I think you only want to deal with that particular line. The sed running now changes the number in one other, maybe two places it shouldn't.
It's a catch-22, if I don't change the .conf file, people complain about it saying it's running in compatibility mode. And I can't expect people to go and manually change the configuration file version when they decide it's okay.

Actually one of the other places in the conf file I do need to change, I want to make sure the URL points to the same version as the conf file. I think I can remove the warning about time-reap now, and that will solve the other place.

Sounds like I need to make a list ...

Yeah, I think time-reap is no longer relevant for folks now. But wow it was a crazy ivan then!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!