What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chit.chat

New Around Here
Okay, I got a Lenovo Smart Display, and I can tell how life-changing these smart home devices are. Like the features available in the Smart Display is just so much more optimal than any other smart home devices. Love the camera shutter feature as well, makes me less paranoid.

From there, I have been changing my home to a 'smart home' and got myself a few minis as well since it can be connected to the Lenovo Smart Display and use the Display as like a main console. Now I'm thinking about security, like doors, etc. I don't know what to get, since there are so many mixed reviews about different products, and I want to get it to connect with the Lenovo Smart Display I have. Any suggestions?

Now I'm thinking about security, like doors, etc. I don't know what to get, since there are so many mixed reviews about different products, and I want to get it to connect with the Lenovo Smart Display I have. Any suggestions?
Yes, I have a suggestion: keep you hands OFF such products! :rolleyes:

Imagine two common scenarios:
- Battery empty of the door lock gadget and you want to enter home (without having physical keys anymore), or
- Software crashed on the door lock device and you need to restart it by pressing the reset button (inside of your home)...
- AND: Imagine you have to leave home in case of fire and the devices fails just in this moment!

More such common failures of technology (especially when computers are involved) can be easily pictured! :oops:

So, I will would never ever go for a "(Un)Smart Lock" - what's wrong having a physical key - especially if it looks like mine!?

Last edited:
As a counter point I have been using Schlage locks for three years and no glitches. The keypad is used to open the locks as well as an application on my phone which works through my security system which acts as a Z-wave controller. If the battery gets low the locks send me a notification.

I have two doors with the locks. One in the front door and the second is on the door from my garage into my home. The garage door has a numeric keypad so it can be accessed without a key or a remote. It also can be opened using an app. The controller is on my seperate subnet I setup for IoT devices and connects to the internet using a VPN client on the router. If I could not get in the front door to unlock using the keypad then I can try using the door from the garage. If that doesn't work I have an old fashioned key hidden in the garage which will work both locks.

Without having to worry about keys, neither I or any other member of my family, have ever been locked out also if I have guests or other visitors that arrive while I'm away from home I can let them in without having to leave a key for them in remotely. If the guests are going to be staying with us I just setup a temporary entry code for them which I can delete after they leave so no need to make spare keys for them.

Another advantage of the locks is the security system is programmed to lock both locks when it is set.

My system also notifies me when the alarm is set, doors including the garage door are opened, left unlocked as well as other events. Notifications can be time of day specific.

If I am going to be gone for an extended period I have the option to disable the electronic function of the locks or even easier just unplug the battery pack for the lock so it can only be opened with a key.

After having used electronic locks for five years I would find it a great inconvience to go back to using keyed locks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!