What's new

amtm Segmentation Fault in AMTM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's just a generic 8GB USB stick.

I'm happy to just scrap it and use a new USB stick and start again from scratch.
Highly recommend replacing it with a cheap SSD drive... they're better suited for work like this.

@Gary_Dexter check out option r in amtm, despite all the errors, the reset features should still work.

@Gary_Dexter check out option r in amtm, despite all the errors, the reset features should still work.
I did the "r" option the last time and it held out (as in, stopped the segmentation fault error).

The LIB error in my follow-up post was new, however has since gone away following a reboot.

I've not had time to setup the new USB yet, so still using the "old" one - and it "seems" to be OK...

I've not had time to setup the new USB yet, so still using the "old" one - and it "seems" to be OK...
$29 Overkill cheap Samsung SSD -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QBN5J9B/?tag=snbforums-20

$10 SSD lit enclosure + USB cable -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF6JQQ4/?tag=snbforums-20

Well worth the money, stability and performance compared to a thumbdrive that will eventually wear out and bork up your entware! @Tech9 would even recommend getting a cheaper SSD... either way, never going back. ;)

$29 Overkill cheap Samsung SSD -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QBN5J9B/?tag=snbforums-20

$10 SSD lit enclosure + USB cable -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF6JQQ4/?tag=snbforums-20

Well worth the money, stability and performance compared to a thumbdrive that will eventually wear out and bork up your entware! @Tech9 would even recommend getting a cheaper SSD... either way, never going back. ;)
I'll consider it.. might be moving to Unifi soon so weighing up costs on keeping an old AC ASUS running in the interim.. :)

Sooner or later users realize the use of USB stick is only temporary and the system is as reliable as the USB stick.
I think it is an important design goal that the system--meaning the router itself--continue to function even if the USB system fails. Everything USB dependent should be nice-to-haves, or useful, but not essential.

This router was never designed to run scripts off USB drive to begin with. This option was added later on top of Asuswrt.

I have replaced samsung SD cards, but never samsung SSDHD. I currently have a portable external Samsung SSD. I have had it running now for a few years. Never had corruption, or replacement. SSD + AMTM = Endless possibilities. If you want quality, get an SSD. If you want to keep replacing and don't care about starting out fresh, continue to buy flash drives.

Reposting after posting in the incorrect thread/forum...

I'm seeing an occasional "Bus Error" showing up while the amtm screen is printing, and trying to start pixelserv-tls yields a segmentation fault. As one might expect, pixelserv-tls is not running according to the Diversion menu. Occasionally when I'm trying to grep through dnsmasq logs I also see "Bus Error" printed to the terminal. A repeatable test case is to open amtm, select "ep", select "1", and then "Segmentation fault" is output to the terminal and after a second or so the screen clears and I'm back to the amtm home menu.

I'm using a GT-AX11000 on firmware 3004.388.4_rog (which I upgraded to with some trepidation in the hope that it'd help), and amtm version 3.8.

I backed up my USB drive and jffs directory using the scripts and help that y'all provided here (thanks!). I reformatted the drive, unpacked the tarballs, and it's basically back to where it was previously - Diversion and Skynet are configured the same, but the segfaults are also still happening running pixelserv-tls.

I'm wondering if perhaps rather than the disk being corrupt, could it be the case that there's an incompatible library or something causing it? I'm guessing the common denominator here is the content of the files, rather than the sectors on disk?

I backed up my USB drive and jffs directory using the scripts and help that y'all provided here (thanks!). I reformatted the drive, unpacked the tarballs, and it's basically back to where it was previously - Diversion and Skynet are configured the same, but the segfaults are also still happening running pixelserv-tls.
You backed up a corrupt drive, formatted it and extracted the backup? What could go wrong? Now you know. Make a backup from a good copy first.

Ah, I was naïvely hoping that maybe tar would skip over corrupt files when making the backup.

So given that I have a crap backup, what would y'all recommend as a remedy here? I'm not quite sure how destructive various options are (eg the amtm reset options), and the idea of reconfiguring the entire router from scratch is not appealing.

Start from scratch. Priceless to know where/what condition your router/network is in. Almost guaranteed to need to do so anyway in the very near future if you try to take shortcuts now.

So given that I have a crap backup, what would y'all recommend as a remedy here?
Well, you could try restoring the bad backup and then run r from AMTM to allow AMTM to reset any entware stuff that might be corrupted and hope for the best. But, you would always be left with the notion "Is everything really ok". Starting with a frest entware install really is the way to go here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!