What's new

Selective routing (Netflix, Amazon, etc)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Please please please can someone spell this out all in one post, from start to finish, how to get selective routing working for iPlayer. My brain seems to have been damaged attempting this and I can no longer follow these broken solutions across many threads. I can see some of you seem to have had success. Please be explicit with what you found as it's not as helpful to just report back that you got it working when you could also share your solution. Many thanks.

For me I am simply trying to get my wifi clients (more importantly, my appletv) to go through my UK vpn when accessing iPlayer. Simple right? .... Now, where did I put that noose?

Please please please can someone spell this out all in one post, from start to finish, how to get selective routing working for iPlayer. My brain seems to have been damaged attempting this and I can no longer follow these broken solutions across many threads. I can see some of you seem to have had success. Please be explicit with what you found as it's not as helpful to just report back that you got it working when you could also share your solution. Many thanks.

For me I am simply trying to get my wifi clients (more importantly, my appletv) to go through my UK vpn when accessing iPlayer. Simple right? .... Now, where did I put that noose?

Hello Rappy,

There are many resources online for getting selective / policy based routing to work. But, in (very) short:

- Set up your VPN tunnel from your router to a UK based VPN provider. Ensure this is working and stable
- Then on your router, go to VPN, VPN Client tab. Ensure "Redirect Internet traffic" is set to "Policy Rules"
- Then go to the bottom of the page where is say "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel"
- Then add a Descripiton (such as AppleTV), Source IP (the IP of your Apple TV), Destination IP (IP address or network for BBC Iplayer) and Iface is VPN.
- Apply and restart your VPN Client (not sure this is actually necessary, but do it to be sure)

That's it in a nutshell, but feel free to read around a little and check some of the other advanced options.

Hope that helps to get you off the ground!

Hello Rappy,

There are many resources online for getting selective / policy based routing to work. But, in (very) short:

- Set up your VPN tunnel from your router to a UK based VPN provider. Ensure this is working and stable
- Then on your router, go to VPN, VPN Client tab. Ensure "Redirect Internet traffic" is set to "Policy Rules"
- Then go to the bottom of the page where is say "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel"
- Then add a Descripiton (such as AppleTV), Source IP (the IP of your Apple TV), Destination IP (IP address or network for BBC Iplayer) and Iface is VPN.
- Apply and restart your VPN Client (not sure this is actually necessary, but do it to be sure)

That's it in a nutshell, but feel free to read around a little and check some of the other advanced options.

Hope that helps to get you off the ground!
Thanks Bob,
Unfortunately it's a lot more complicated than that for iPlayer. There is already a 100 post thread about this issue elsewhere on this board and it still isn't solved.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!