What's new

Self-built NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammynl

Occasional Visitor
After a lot of reading, decided to build a NAS myself, is much much cheaper and above all faster than the of-the-shelf stuff from the regular vendors:

This is a 700 Euro NAS with 5 TB - 4 Gb RAM - Intel Celeron 2 Ghz Dual Core - Gigabit Ethernet - RAID 0 /1 / 5 /10 with a max 6 HHD-drives casing and a Micro ATX motherboard:

5TB-NAS.jpg

Bu Bye Synology / QNAP etc.

Last edited:
are you running raids?

do you know of a site that shows you where to download/how to install all the modules for Ubuntu (I am not a linux guy)?

thx

are you running raids?

do you know of a site that shows you where to download/how to install all the modules for Ubuntu (I am not a linux guy)?

thx

Hi, i considered running RAID10 but that simply costs too much disk-space and RAID0 is dangerous (1 disk fails, all data lost), but a 5 disk (or more) RAID5 configuraton is performing very well.

As far as Ubuntu is concerned you can also run Freenas that's very simple to config but Ubuntu has proven to be much faster, see these links: Ubuntu Server Homepage and Ubuntu NAS

Last edited:
What would be a good newegg motherboard alternative? I actually found your motherboard here on Amazon, but it's $398.00. Looking for something a little cheaper.

TimeFreedom

Last edited:
For Intel platforms, I recommend a G31 motherboard, coupled with an entry-level C2D processor such as the E5200. Way overkill for a NAS but comes in handy if your box has to pull any double duty. If you want a cheaper solution, a dual-core Celeron that OP uses is a good alternative, but I would get the E5200 instead. Such a good value for a low-cost, low-power solution.

For AMD platforms, I recommend a 740G motherboard coupled with a 45w dual-core processor such as the 4850e or 5050e. A bit less powerful than the Intel solution above but still overkill for a NAS.

Both configs should be highly power-efficient. My 5050e+740G combo draws around 30W when idle.

Updated: sample configs:

Intel E5200 + Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (4 SATA ports)
AMD 4850e + Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (6 SATA ports)

Last edited:
Way overkill for a NAS but comes in handy if your box has to pull any double duty. Both configs should be highly power-efficient. My 5050e+740G combo draws around 30W when idle.

Updated: sample configs:
Intel E5200 + Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (4 SATA ports)
AMD 4850e + Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (6 SATA ports)

I't might seem overkill for a NAS but running RAID5 the processor will do the XOR calculations and that might become a bottleneck so Celeron Dual Core is not too heavy but just fine imho, still with low power consumption and no need for lots of cooling.

Your sample configs look nice, as well as the idle power consumption.

Cheers.

Last edited: