What's new

Serious Issues with 384.15 on AC86 and AC68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric Lieb

So I have a AC86 as my primary router and an AC68 as a mesh node. Ever since the update to 384.15 the setup has been seriously unstable. I wiped both the 86 and 68 and redid the network but that didnt solve anything. Randomly the router would refuse to allow devices (like my cellphone) to connect and kept throwing errors like

kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

I am going to revert back to 384.14_2 and hope that the issues go away. Was wondering if anyone else has had serious issues with 384.15.

Another issue I kept seeing is stuff like this

Feb 28 17:13:32 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth6: Deauth_ind 3C:31:78:23:61:47, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Feb 28 17:13:32 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth6: Disassoc 3C:31:78:23:61:47, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Feb 28 17:13:33 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth6: Auth 3C:31:78:23:61:47, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Feb 28 17:13:33 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth6: Assoc 3C:31:78:23:61:47, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)

Last edited:
I'm assuming you wiped after the firmware update and re-did your settings from scratch and not a backup file? 384.15 has been fine on my 86U and I haven't done a wipe in at least 4 or 5 firmware versions.

The stuff you are seeing in the log has been documented ad nauseam on this site. Do a search and you will find plenty of info. TL;DR it is nothing to worry about.

Yes I did do a wipe after updating to 384.15 and redid all my settings manual... I have been on 384.14_2 for 2 hours now and it is much more stable than 15 ever was. Also I haven't had any WLCEVENTD events show up in the log since switched back and I havent had any clients refuse to connect.

Yes I did do a wipe after updating to 384.15 and redid all my settings manual... I have been on 384.14_2 for 2 hours now and it is much more stable than 15 ever was. Also I haven't had any WLCEVENTD events show up in the log since switched back and I havent had any clients refuse to connect.

If weird trouble returns and other Asuswrt-Merlin users do not experience it, consider the possibility that the 86U is failing. It has a reputation for this.

OE

If weird trouble returns and other Asuswrt-Merlin users do not experience it, consider the possibility that the 86U is failing. It has a reputation for this.

OE
It is less than 2 months old purchased brand new from a reputable seller. It has been rock stable since flashing back to 384.14_2 . I thought the point of this forum was to provide input that there may be an issue with a recent update when the previous firmware didn't have it. Considering there hasn't been a firmware release from Asus for the ac86 not ac68 since November of last year, you are saying there is no possibility that something merged into the latest firmware may be causing some issues.

If I am mistaken I will just stop posting my experiences and observations.

@Eric Lieb, what you state doesn't negate what @OzarkEdge said. A product can be faulty/glitchy from the start, regardless of where it is bought. :)

The point of these forums is not to warn users of the new firmware. it is to get help with making that new firmware work for all. Going backward to a 'stable build' is, um, backward. :)

Please don't stop posting your experiences and observations. All data points help in the end. :)

Hopefully, they can be used to help you too. ;)

It is less than 2 months old purchased brand new from a reputable seller. It has been rock stable since flashing back to 384.14_2 . I thought the point of this forum was to provide input that there may be an issue with a recent update when the previous firmware didn't have it. Considering there hasn't been a firmware release from Asus for the ac86 not ac68 since November of last year, you are saying there is no possibility that something merged into the latest firmware may be causing some issues.

If I am mistaken I will just stop posting my experiences and observations.

Jeesh, relax Eric! I merely suggested another possibility... failing hardware can cause weird issues.

As for '2 months old' and 'brand new' and 'reputable seller' and 'has been rock stable' and whatever else... so what! None of that means anything. Hardware can start failing at any time for no good reason. If your 'the firmware is the problem' theory doesn't hold up, you may have to consider other possibilities. It may help to know that the 86U has a reputation for hardware failure since its introduction.

>>you are saying there is no possibility that something merged into the latest firmware may be causing some issues.

I never said that. That's a figment of your own one track troubleshooting. What I said was:

"If weird trouble returns and other Asuswrt-Merlin users do not experience it, consider the possibility that the 86U is failing. It has a reputation for this."

OE

Maybe you should stay on .14_2 :rolleyes: