What's new

Services keep restarting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's close to zero comments in the code, and what little is there is generally written in pretty bad English. And since the code was written by different persons over different periods of time, there's no consistent code style either, making it even harder to read the code at times.
Amen to that

Asuswrt is simply too large for one single developer to handle, due to the sheer size of it. Not much Asus could do about it, they themselves have a whole team of full-time developers working on it.

There's close to zero comments in the code, and what little is there is generally written in pretty bad English. And since the code was written by different persons over different periods of time, there's no consistent code style either, making it even harder to read the code at times.

Yeah that's what I thought, I follow the Chinese forums and the majority of ASUS's work is coming out of Asia. They seem to have access to a different code base in some of their circles which really hurts us here in the west. They also seem to love to pirate your code too which I think is flattery but not really sure. I have gotten my hands on several builds of the latest GPL compiled with their own formulas but at the end of the day I am fairly certain that the builds are either plagiarizing your work in many cases and just adding in a module of their own or they truly do have access to a different GPL.

I haven't found it yet but I suspect there is a build with at least some documentation in Mandarin, this is a hunch based on what I have read in Asian forum conversations that are written in the native script. I have a basic mastery of non-traditional Chinese so I can only get so much out of the posts. We also can't communicate back and forth very well since my conversational Mandarin is an epic fail.

Yeah that's what I thought, I follow the Chinese forums and the majority of ASUS's work is coming out of Asia. They seem to have access to a different code base in some of their circles which really hurts us here in the west. They also seem to love to pirate your code too which I think is flattery but not really sure. I have gotten my hands on several builds of the latest GPL compiled with their own formulas but at the end of the day I am fairly certain that the builds are either plagiarizing your work in many cases and just adding in a module of their own or they truly do have access to a different GPL.

If you are referring to Koolshare, they use my code, with their own development on top of it. They just completely ignore the GPL requirements, and fail to publish their code (in addition to violating every other proprietary licences by also providing builds for Netgear/Huawei/Linksys/Phicom products). They don't get anything from Asus themselves, and don't have access to any different GPL code either - their base code is Xvortex's, which is based on my code. Due to the legal nature of their lack of compliance, discussions and distributions of these builds are forbidden here on SNBForums.

They're completely unrelated to Asus's development team, which is internal (with a few contracted developers to round up their team). They do almost all of their development at their Taiwanese HQ. A few of their programmers have even visited these forums here from time to time.

Quebecer. :D I had to look that up. I'm guessing that's something like the reputation Parisian's have for being friendly to foreigners. :rolleyes:

Quebec's latin roots (through France) make us more hot-headed than the average mellow Canadian.

Amen to that

I'm actually surprised that they still write all their comments in English... Except in AiCloud, where a lot of it are in Chinese. I suspect AiCloud is developed by a separate team (or maybe outside consultants?)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!