What's new

Set up for 2nd router connected to primary router (specific config needed) help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MikeM

New Around Here
Ran into an odd situation which is less about hardware but more about people challenges.

Due to some challenges, I have the internet modem attached to one router. Attached to that router is a 2nd router via Ethernet cable.
Is there any way to configure the first router akin to forwarding the 2nd router (has its own network)? - somewhat like passing through the primary router.
The primary router is an Asus AX86u.

Any help would be appreciated. If this is not the correct area to ask, please let me know where would be the most appropriate.
Thanks!

Yes this should be quite straight forward. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Do you want all devices on both networks to be able to freely talk to each other. That's possible but it's easier to setup the second router as an access point. Or do you only want one-way communication for some devices? If so, provide more specific details.

Or are you talking about port forwarding from the internet to a device connected to the second router?

What is the make and model of the second router?

Yes this should be quite straight forward. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Do you want all devices on both networks to be able to freely talk to each other. That's possible but it's easier to setup the second router as an access point. Or do you only want one-way communication for some devices? If so, provide more specific details.

Or are you talking about port forwarding from the internet to a device connected to the second router?

First, thanks for responding... much appreciated.

The first router (connected to the modem) should be mutually exclusive to the 2nd router. Looking for something akin to port forwarding where all of the 2nd router's traffic simply passes through the first router to the modem. As the 2nd router is connected via Ethernet, it would be great if I could simply deal with it as an ip address to forward. (Give it a reservation address). Hopefully, I am being clear.

Sorry it's still not clear. Is the objective to stop devices connected to the second router being able to access devices on the primary router's LAN? Perhaps because the second router's clients are untrusted?

Last edited: