What's new

Setting up 2 routers on Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dazed2u

New Around Here
Hi there.

I'm trying to set up 2 routers behind the same cable modem, with the final intent of having one as a dedicated OpenVPN client router to a 3rd party service, and the other router with a direct connection to the Internet. Unfortunately I'm having a challenge getting the routers to communicate before layering on the OpenVPN client configuration.

My setup:

RT-AC66u - direct Internet connection router - connected to Cable modem via WAN port. LAN IP of 172.26.26.1. No issues with internet/LAN connectivity here.

RT-N16 - OPenVPN client router (VPN not yet configured). - WAN port connected to a LAN port of the AC66u. WAN IP address being received from AC66u correctly as 172.26.26.50. LAN IP of 172.26.27.1.

Both routers are running Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24

I believe the physical set-up and the IP addressing for both routers is correct, but my issue is with the routing of traffic to/from the RT-N16. When connecting a client to the RT-N16, I don't have internet connectivity. If I attempt to hit an internet site, I get an error (screenshot attached).

I'm trying to solve the routing of the traffic through the GUI if possible. I believe I need to include routing information on both routers, but want to confirm just what I should be including on both sides.

I'm new to Asuswrt-Merlin, having been a long time dd-wrt user, but so far I'm really enjoying the change. Many thanks to Merlin and this forum for the wealth of information you have to share!

Attachments

• RT-N16.PNG
    RT-N16.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 578
Hi there.
I'm trying to set up 2 routers behind the same cable modem, with the final intent of having one as a dedicated OpenVPN client router to a 3rd party service, and the other router with a direct connection to the Internet. ...
Just curious: do we need 2 routers to get the expected functionalities ? I remind recently seeing posts about this special application. Would have to search.

GH

Just curious: do we need 2 routers to get the expected functionalities ? I remind recently seeing posts about this special application. Would have to search.

GH

I have seen from other posts that its possible to handle both VPN and non-VPN connections through a single router, using routing rules. The benefit of a second router would allow a PC to switch between VPN and non-VPN simply by which SSID it connects to.

I've now been able to establish an Internet connection from the router which will be the VPN router, but am still looking for some guidance on the LAN - Route tab on the primary router, as it can not see the VPN router. The documentation on the LAN - Route tab does seem to be easy to track down!

I'm interested in keeping my ipv6 tunnel working and how does port forwarding work with vpn?

I have seen from other posts that its possible to handle both VPN and non-VPN connections through a single router, using routing rules. The benefit of a second router would allow a PC to switch between VPN and non-VPN simply by which SSID it connects to.
... and it not possible to achieve that with only one Router?

GH
SGH-I717D ; Tapatalk

... and it not possible to achieve that with only one Router?

It may be possible, with this use of a Guest SSID...may have to experiment with that at some point. In the meantime, I discovered that the RT-N16 does not have the VPN clients available using Asuswrt, and was forced to install Tomato on it instead. I've now successfully set up VPN on the RT-N16, running through a LAN port of the AC66u.

I still seem to be missing one piece of routing on the AC66u to allow a client on that router to be able to access an IP served by the VPN router. I'm certain it would be an entry in the LAN - Route tab on the RT-AC66u, but haven't found the right combination of settings for that page to be successful.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!