What's new

Setting Up Home Network Help - Getting rid of Cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As long as your modem doesnt overheat, has the compatible protocol and has the sync speeds greater than your subscribed speeds than you dont need to change it.

I'd get the SB6183 or better.. the Arris equivalent (same hardware). Your modem must be on the ISP's approved product list or they will reject. Just get one with DOCSIS 3 support.

I lease my cable modem so that my mean ISP has no way to blame the customer-owned modem. This ISP has lots of system outages and tech support ALWAYS tries to blame the customer equipment.

I'd get the SB6183 or better.. the Arris equivalent (same hardware). Your modem must be on the ISP's approved product list or they will reject. Just get one with DOCSIS 3 support.

Can't go wrong with Moto/Arris - I've got the SB6141 (retail) - it's a bit older, but rock solid...

OK. But what's your replacement for cable modem's Internet service? DSL sucks.
Or are you dumping TV, keeping Internet?
DSL doesn't suck, especially VDSL2. You can get GB speeds from it. Only thing better would be a fibre drop directly to your home. Cable modems are good as well, but they also come with their own set of issues.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I lease my cable modem so that my mean ISP has no way to blame the customer-owned modem. This ISP has lots of system outages and tech support ALWAYS tries to blame the customer equipment.

Thought TWC stopped provisioning Customer Retail modems, or was that someone else? Maybe comcast or charter?

CoxHSI, as long as the modem is on their approved list, they're fine with it - they manage the device on their end anyways...

Well technically everything is a choice. ;)

But where else would I want to live? Housing is cheap, salaries are good, access to locally-sourced produce and meat, and no earthquakes, sinkholes, hurricanes, or wildfires. I can run from a tornado if I know enough about it. :cool:

So my first foray into terminating my cat 6 end from the wall and I realized I should have bought Keystones instead so I can run patch cable to the devices.

DSL doesn't suck, especially VDSL2. You can get GB speeds from it. Only thing better would be a fibre drop directly to your home. Cable modems are good as well, but they also come with their own set of issues.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
In my area, for more than bare bones DSL from AT&T (OMG, no) the cable co. has a monopoly and knows it.
Not gonna change any time soon.

So I've been looking for a deal on a Surfboard 6183 but opted for this SBG6580 and added the two year warranty. How will this compare to the 6183? I realize this had a router built in. Can I turn off the router funtion on this and attached to a Tp limk Archer router or should I just get a modem

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbi.....tner=lw9MynSeamY&sourceid=3165789702367742114

I also saw this deal but not sure how modem is. I have 75mb line

http://m.newegg.com/Combo/ComboDetail?comboid=2623956&combotype=0&itemnumber=N82E16833704177

Last edited:
I'd stick with Arris/Motorola for a good DOCSIS modem.
If you choose not to lease modem as I do to avoid service charges and blame game with ISP.

What are your your takes on AC Routers (C7) vs getting something like a Asus 56U or N66U

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/?tag=snbforums-20

I think my only AC enabled device would be my Amazon Fire TV.
Are you able to push out an N signal in 2.4 and 5ghz along with a AC 2.4 and 5ghz signal so all devices can connect at there respective specs?

Really want range so I can have in my basement and access media on 3rd floor. Dont care about 4k yet.

Last edited:
The OP said "Getting rid of cable". Did you really mean "cable TV", but keeping cable internet (DOCSIS modem)? Without a bundle of TV/Internet they may charge you $10+ per month for cable modem alone.

I have no 11ac because my mobile/handhelds certainly don't need the speed if it exists. Streaming video/Netflix etc. from the Internet don't need more than 11n speeds.
But, 11ac is the latest up-sell in WiFi.

Things that need a lot of speed, more than 11n, in my view, should be wired connections.
"Without mobility, there is rarely a need for wireless."

The OP said "Getting rid of cable". Did you really mean "cable TV", but keeping cable internet (DOCSIS modem)? Without a bundle of TV/Internet they may charge you $10+ per month for cable modem alone.

I have no 11ac because my mobile/handhelds certainly don't need the speed if it exists. Streaming video/Netflix etc. from the Internet don't need more than 11n speeds.
But, 11ac is the latest up-sell in WiFi.

Things that need a lot of speed, more than 11n, in my view, should be wired connections.
"Without mobility, there is rarely a need for wireless."

Yes, I am getting rid of Cable TV but keeping Internet. Going to get Playstation Vue.

I am thinking or just getting my own Modem so I dont pay the rental fee

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!