What's new

Setting up new multimedia network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mageej

Occasional Visitor
I seriously need help with this setup from guys in the know. I have these devices; Samsung 40" LCD, Samsung Blu Ray player, Comcast Digital box, PS2, regular XBOX, and plan to get streamer later. 6 devices total.
Here's my problem; I don't know the best way to connect these to the internet. The options I've thought of are:

1. I live in a new home, built 3 years ago with CAT5 wiring for telephone only for now. I have the terminations for said wiring in the downstairs closet on a 66 block. There's no connection from there to my devices yet. I got an estimate to have CAT5 run from the closet to the back of my tv stand. $150 + materials. I would run internet from upstairs where my computer and wireless router is. I know that wired is the best data transfer.

2. I have Clear Internet service. I thought of buying another modem from them, put it downstairs and connect a wired router to it, and connect the devices to the router.

3. Powerline Adapters. Trendnet and Netgear have Gigabit 500Mbs with pass thru plugs.

Which option would allow me to stream HD internet content the best?
I also want to purchase Google TV.

Thanks guys!

cat5e or cat6 cable is preferred. You'll spend $150 on power line or MoCA alternatives.

HDTV via WiFi, even 11n, is ever flakey.

If the two rooms are about one above the other, an interior wall is fairly easy to drop cat5 down. The issue is cutting the drywall in two or more places, then someone has to patch and paint. Once in a great while you can luck out and not cut. I did that, by tying a cat5 to an existing TV coax and pulling the two carefully back, then reverse. Worked as the coax wasn't stapled to the studs.

Paying someone to pull in the cat5 would be a half hours' work at their labor rate.

First, +1 for stevech's suggestion to use Ethernet.

Second, don't bother with Google TV. If you're getting it for Internet TV, all the content owners are blocking it. There's nothing on, basically.

Third, unless you need the existing CAT5 for phones, you can use it for Ethernet. All you'd need to do is separate off the runs you want to use for data and terminate them in a patch panel downstairs and RJ45 jacks upstairs. If the "phone" jacks already have eight pins, pull a wallplate and see if all eight wires are terminated.

The contractor I got the bid from pulled a phone plate, and it was CAT5 with only two wires connected for phone use. He said he would run 4 lines to a patch plate behind the tv, and change the upstairs connection to an RJ45 where the router is. Does that sound about right?
Another question is, do I need a Gigabit router?

Last edited:
Connecting four wires (if he knows how to properly terminate them) will get you only 10/100 Ethernet. You need all eight for Gigabit. And although CAT5 will probably work for short Gigabit runs, you'll need 5e for reliable Gigabit.

He'll also have to give you a jack downstairs near the patch panel, too.

He's talking about running 4 sets of cable. I don’t know if its CAT5e in the house. He says he can test it. I have a Netgear 150 draft N wireless router, so I suppose I need to get a Gigabit router? And why does he need to run 4 sets of cable? For each device?

Why 4 cables? I'd put a switch behind the TV. (I already have it myself.)

Maybe pull 2 cables to have a spare.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!