What's new

Setup IPTV on a shared LAN port - help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igor Macaubas

New Around Here
Hi all,

I just bought an ASUS RT-AC3200 router to improve my wireless network signal. My fiber provider uses vlans to enable IPTV traffic. I have a lot of connected devices at home, and use a couple of wired ethernet switches in order to distribute connection amongst them. I'm using LAN ports 1-2 to connect to my PC and my NAS, and ports 3-4 to connect to eth switches that are on my living room & bedroom with my IPTV STBs amongst other wired devices.

When I configured the IPTV VLANs on ports 3-4, IPTV works great. BUT the other devices connected on the same switch doesn't get a valid IP address from the router's DHCP server - they get an IP from the IPTV provider, some 10.x.x.x IP address (my router DHCP is configured to 192.168.1.0/24 network).

I want to use Ethernet b/c I don't want to get my WiFi spectrum clogged, and I don't mind having a mixed network situation on my bedroom/living room switches - I'll one use one device at a time, because they're all connected to the same TV.

This exact setup used to work just fine with my old, ISP-provided router (it's a Technicolor TG784n, if you may ask).

My network setup looks like this:
Home Network Topology.png

I've configured my router IPTV tab like that:
19027_1_122_518lo.jpg

My device is an Asus AC-RT3200, running on Asuswrt-Merlin, version 378.56.

My nvram vlan settings look like this:
wan0_gw_ifname=vlan210
wan0_ifname=vlan210
vlan2ports=0 5u
wl0_vlan_prio_mode=off
vlan2hwname=et0
wl_vlan_prio_mode=off
lan_ifnames=vlan1 eth2 eth1 eth3
wan_ifnames=vlan210
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=3 4 5*
wl2_vlan_prio_mode=off
landevs=vlan1 wl0 wl1 wl2
wl1_vlan_prio_mode=off

My nvram ports looks like this:
ehci_ports=2-1 2-2
vlan2ports=0 5u
ohci_ports=3-1 3-2
ftp_ports=ports=21,2021
xhci_ports=1-1
size: 54901 bytes (10635 left)
vlan1ports=3 4 5*
wanports=0
lanports=3 4

My nvram switch settings looks like this:
1:antswitch=0
apps_state_switch=5
switch_wan1prio=1
switch_wan2tagid=220
switch_wan0tagid=210
2:antswitch=0
switch_stb_x=6
0:antswitch=0
apps_state_action=switch
switch_wan2prio=1
switch_wantag=manual
switch_wan0prio=0
switch_wan1tagid=220

You'll have to use different cables to the switches, when a port is set as VLAN cannot be used for other pourposes. If you can't fix an additional cable, I suggest you to split the cable in 2: if you use only 4 of the 8 wires you'll get a 100mb cable. Use the other 4 to double it. You'll loose giga-ethernet, but you'll gain two 'separate' 100mbps cables.

You'll have to use different cables to the switches, when a port is set as VLAN cannot be used for other pourposes. If you can't fix an additional cable, I suggest you to split the cable in 2: if you use only 4 of the 8 wires you'll get a 100mb cable. Use the other 4 to double it. You'll loose giga-ethernet, but you'll gain two 'separate' 100mbps cables.

Hum... bummer. I'll do that on my living room then.

Can I use just one LAN port (3 or 4) for my IPTV and have the other one just act as a normal LAN?

To carry multiple VLANs on one cable you need to setup the port as a trunking port. A trunking port will carry multiple VLANs so you do not need to use multiple wires.

If you assigned VLANs IP network addresses then you will need a DHCP server with multiple scopes for the different networks. The DHCP server will need to run on the device controlling the VLANs or DHCP RELAY will need to be used to point to the DHCP server.

I am just stating the way it is normally done. Consumers router have different capabilities.

If you can't do it in your router VLANs can be run from a switch. Of course you need support in the switch. My preference is a layer 3 switch.

PS
IPTV is not being scanned by the ASUS firewall it is just being passed through. If you cannot make the ASUs router work I would look into passing IPTV straight into a layer 3 switch on a separate VLAN. I would investigate this scenario. I have never done this but I think it would work. I would assume there is no internet access on the IPTV VLAN. It just goes to a local ISP's TV server. I would also think a 100meg connection would be fine for TV. I get about 8 meg for a HD stream and a little less than 4 for a black and white stream.

If the ASUS router splits the IPTV out to a VLAN and you pass that TV VLAN to a switch which will trunk the TV VLAN out on your network why would it not work. The 100 meg will not be fast enough for a trunk port. It will work but you will be limited. The other option is to limit IPTV to a VLAN on a separate switch so the only traffic is IPTV traffic. You will need separate switches for IPTV and internet data so the internet data traffic does not bog down the trunk port. Upgrade your 100 meg switch. GIG VLAN switches are cheap.

Last edited: