What's new

SFP+ Transceiver For Windows 10 Computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seventh Monkey

Occasional Visitor
Looking to connect a Windows 10 Computer to a network switch using LC fiber and SFP+ ports.

Connecting router ports this way is pretty straightforward since you buy the appropriate transceiver for the brand, but a computer strangely has me stumped since I don't see transceivers just for them, yet we have SFP+ NIC's like these just for computers that support all the standard OSs.
1625094829724.png

Must be so obvious I can't see it?

This is what I'm looking at - any recommendations?
Windows 10 Computer <--> SFP+ NIC <---> WHAT TRANSCEIVER? <--> LC Fiber <--> Ubiquity SFP+ Transceiver <--> Ubiquiti Switch

Without getting too long-winded on the compatibility concerns on SFP tranceivers, I would first try to see if a Ubiquiti tranceiver works for you. The driver in Windows is for the chipset on your card, not the tranceiver itself. Most likely your card uses a broadcom chip and you will be fine. There is no rule that says you need to match manufacturers, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot if you are dealing with the same hardware. while fiber sounds scary, most of the time I have seen problems is where people don't match the cable wavelength with the SFP.

Without getting too long-winded on the compatibility concerns on SFP tranceivers, I would first try to see if a Ubiquiti tranceiver works for you. The driver in Windows is for the chipset on your card, not the tranceiver itself. Most likely your card uses a broadcom chip and you will be fine. There is no rule that says you need to match manufacturers, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot if you are dealing with the same hardware. while fiber sounds scary, most of the time I have seen problems is where people don't match the cable wavelength with the SFP.

Thanks - the cards I've looked at do use Broadcom chips. I did ask the manufacturer of the card above and due to language issues they focused on the switch side and not the card having missed the point of the question. 10GTek now seems to use the same transceiver regardless of switch, so they may be a safer bet, Waiting on parts until mid-month to build the server so I have a bit of time to track it down.

The switch side is always the most troublesome because a lot of switches lock out transceivers that are not branded from the same company. I have had good luck with sfps that list themselves as compatible. In a production environment I would stick with manufacturer sfps but that is largely because of my paranoia and not actual evidence of failures due to compatibility.